Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdooley View Post
I want to take a ferry from seattle to anchorage, then drive my motorcycle back. Does anyone have a suggestion?ken
First, you'll need to take the ferry from Bellingham and will likely need to change ferries in Ketchikan or Juneau. The Ferry going from Juneau to Whittier comes from Prince Rupert and makes to crossing once each month. Check the ferry system web page to plan your timing:

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Alaska DOT&PF (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html - broken link)

You other option is to take the ferry to Haines either through Bellingham or Prince Rupert, going through Canada to get to Anchorage. You can then buy a See Alaska pass and stop off in the I think three communities located in SE Alaska.

Driving back or if you go to Prince Rupert, you'll need a passport or enhanced driver's license to cross the border. As to the route through Alaska, it depends on what you want to see and do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:15 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Yes, take the ferry from Bellingham to Anchorage and then drive your motorcycle back down the Alcan.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:23 PM

109 posts, read 335,525 times
the ferry only runs to southeast alaska after feb. the cross gulf trip closes in sept. there are no more ferrys coming to valdez. if you drive buy studded tires and pack with, you will be happy you did. i flew cause it was cheaper than a ferry trip. there are car lots near the anchorage airport and there is public transportation in anchorage. my advise is save the hassle and worry of driving, and fly

Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM

84 posts, read 326,774 times
the canadian dollar has dropped a lot since summer, and gas is down about 30 c per liter. you should average 130 cents per liter or 4.53 per gallon, it is much cheaper in most of Alberta. And you get 32% off with the currency exchange. Will be higher in the summer, but I would drive in the winter as it is cheaper than flying and winter has no construction but possible bad weather.

2.90-3.60 per gallon is cheap for gas when driving to alaska

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,793,710 times
Question North To Alaska

I have checked out the AMHS for this year and the last ferry going north leaves Juneau on September 15th going to Whittier. From what I was told the Kennicott is then going to be laid up for maintenance for the winter. The next cross gulf sailing is going to be by the Tustumena on January 17, 2010. There are no openings for vehicles on the last run on September 15th and there are only limited vehicles on the sailing on January 17. The option is to get back on the AMHS ferry and travel to Haines/Skagway and then drive into Canada and go North to the intersection with the Alcan Highway and then back into Alaska. This brings the obvious question; what are the roads from Haines to Haines Junction and onto Tok like in late September? I have read various reports that the roads are passable year round. Assuming this might be true what can be expected of the Canadian Customs on entering Canada for the journey back into Alaska? What if you are transporting pets and house plants? How many services are available on the trip meaning gasoline, restaurants, etc. during the start of the cold weather? Once you reach Tok and start South toward Anchorage how is the road from a weather standpoint in late September?

Last edited by richelles; 07-23-2009 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: remove excess words

Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I have checked out the AMHS for this year and the last ferry going north leaves Juneau on September 15th going to Whittier. From what I was told the Kennicott is then going to be laid up for maintenance for the winter. The next cross gulf sailing is going to be by the Tustumena on January 17, 2010. There are no openings for vehicles on the last run on September 15th and there are only limited vehicles on the sailing on January 17. The option is to get back on the AMHS ferry and travel to Haines/Skagway and then drive into Canada and go North to the intersection with the Alcan Highway and then back into Alaska. This brings the obvious question; what are the roads from Haines to Haines Junction and onto Tok like in late September? I have read various reports that the roads are passable year round. Assuming this might be true what can be expected of the Canadian Customs on entering Canada for the journey back into Alaska? What if you are transporting pets and house plants? How many services are available on the trip meaning gasoline, restaurants, etc. during the start of the cold weather? Once you reach Tok and start South toward Anchorage how is the road from a weather standpoint in late September?
Unless we get a freak early snowstorm, I'm guessing you'll have no problem on the roads. Maybe they'll be wet, but no snow. As for crossing the border, you'll need a passport, health certificate dated within 30 days for the pets and nothing for the plants. The health certificate is for entering Alaska, but is good for entering Canada too. You should be good on gas and food the whole way. Just be sure you start with a full tank. I was able to drive from Haines, through Canada to the first gas station just across the border back in Alaska. Put in about half a tank, filled up in Tok and again on arriving in Anchorage. My SUV has a 20 gal. tank and got 19 miles per gal.

Also, if you have a felony conviction, including a DUI, you likely won't be allowed to cross the border.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,406 times
Does anyone know how much it would cost to put my jeep on the barge in seattle to juneau??

Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Lynden | Shipping to Alaska and Worldwide | Air, Ground, Sea

Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,418,233 times
Shipping To Alaska - Totem Ocean Trailer Express, Inc. (http://www.totemocean.com/default.htm - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Northland Services has the best price on shipping vehicles to southeast Alaska.

Northland Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage