Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,841 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations for short term storage in Anchorage of a lot of "stuff" that I erroneously moved from my 3 bedroom house in OR? I can't afford a similar sized house here, and need to downsize to fit a place I can afford. My company will pay storage for 3 months, but I need to find a place large enough to sort through all the boxes for a month or two...and then One big yard sale! I should have downsized more. I'll need a heated place so I can sort through things in Novementer or December. (I know--bad timing). Rent me your garage!

Advice if you move to Anchorage from the lower 48. Plan on living in 1/5 of the space you had where you were from. Don't assume a yard or garage or spare room or basement or attic. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:36 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,882,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2AK View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for short term storage in Anchorage of a lot of "stuff" that I erroneously moved from my 3 bedroom house in OR? I can't afford a similar sized house here, and need to downsize to fit a place I can afford. My company will pay storage for 3 months, but I need to find a place large enough to sort through all the boxes for a month or two...and then One big yard sale! I should have downsized more. I'll need a heated place so I can sort through things in Novementer or December. (I know--bad timing). Rent me your garage!

Advice if you move to Anchorage from the lower 48. Plan on living in 1/5 of the space you had where you were from. Don't assume a yard or garage or spare room or basement or attic. Sigh.
Sorry I won't be any help but good luck... I'm doing a yard sale myself before I move. I'm going to buy what I need when I get there.. I am bringing tools though... I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,721,732 times
What's inexpensive?? My husband was looking and he said heated units were around $200 - $500 a month.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,038,164 times
The word "inexpensive" doesn't apply to much of anything up here.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,839,588 times
I hate to rain on your parade, (save someone taking pity on you and renting you their garage in the winter which seems unlikely) but heated storage will be at a premium, certainly one with enough space to sort through belongings anyway. Unheated won't be much better I'm sorry to say.

And that yard sale in the dead of winter? It probably won't fly unless you can tempt people out with super great stuff and sobbingly cheap prices in a heated space and even then the response will be underwhelming. Take it from someone that has been parting out a large household (and storage unit) full of well preserved antiques and top drawer furnishings from our downsizing efforts and from a closed business over the past two years: We are taking a beating on it all. Nickels and dimes on the dollar, with the rathole of storage eating into the cumulative value each month.

If what you have is the usual gamut of used clothing, linens, lamps, beds, nightstands, household bric-a-brac and the like, I'd urge you to cull through it all right now while your company is paying for storage, a box or two at a time, utilizing Craigslist for items that you feel you must sell (mark it cheap or it won't sell) and donate everything else to a worthy charity.

Even in the heart of summer, yard sales are hit or miss right now. Used to be that anytime folks in our neighborhood had a sale, cars lined up around the block all day long. Early bird collectors and resalers were camped out to snag the good stuff the moment the garage door opened. Those days are gone. The zeitgeist is to downsize, simplify and to eliminate clutter. With the exception of the hoarders and dedicated cheapskates who come out for our freebies, selling used household stuff is a tough gig.

We try to urge people on this forum to not bring stuff up here (usually at great expense and effort) unless it's something that can't be parted with or is so special that it would be difficult to replace in any approximation when they get here. We also urge the folks leaving Alaska to likewise leave their stuff behind. But it does very little good. Threads are filled with folks coming to Alaska lugging mattresses, 10 year old sofas and press-board dressers, convinced that these items can't be replaced, arguing that they must haul it up the road to save money. The dressers fell apart or the finish is ruined by rubbing, the sofa and bedding has road wear rash acquired on the long journey and regret tastes bitter but it happens all the time as you can now attest.

I feel for you and I wish you luck. Take the hit now and get it over with. Enjoy your new home without the weight of your excess belongings hanging over your head.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,236,786 times
I dont know of anything that is inexpensive in anchorage.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,841 times
Default Thanks for advice. Simplify, simplify, simplify

Thanks for the advice. I'm finding the same thing. I wish I had brought much less. I keep getting the message to simplify (and get out and hike instead)!

Its not about "stuff" or money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage