Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 914 times

Advertisements

In addition to no state income tax (as LittleJazzyP stated) there is no state sales tax and Anchorage has no sales tax either, other municipalities do (see the AK Dept. of Commerce publication regarding which ones do [URL]http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/osa/pub/11Taxable.pdf[/URL]). We rented a 2bd 2ba apartment in Muldoon at $950/mo (including water/sewer/garbage/heat). in 2010 (we now own a home in Eagle River), but I think the average at that time was around $750 for a 2bd 2ba. Costco is here in Anchorage and is a good way for a single person to buy non-perishables in bulk and save money (so is Sams Club).

Commute-wise East Eagle River/Chugiak to East Anchorage in winter is 30-45 minutes (mainly due to the Eagle River Loop on-ramp congestion), 15-20 in spring/summer/fall. Mid-town (where the Providence and Alaska Regional hospitals are) is a bit further. Also Wasilla has an Alaska Regional hospital and housing costs in the Mat-Su Valley (mainly Wasilla and Palmer) are much cheaper than the MOA (Municipality of Anchorage) you would also be that much closer to the wilds of Alaska in those two towns... although moose do frequent Anchorage quite often

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaliAK View Post
In addition to no state income tax (as LittleJazzyP stated) there is no state sales tax and Anchorage has no sales tax either, other municipalities do (see the AK Dept. of Commerce publication regarding which ones do http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/.../11Taxable.pdf). We rented a 2bd 2ba apartment in Muldoon at $950/mo (including water/sewer/garbage/heat). in 2010 (we now own a home in Eagle River), but I think the average at that time was around $750 for a 2bd 2ba. Costco is here in Anchorage and is a good way for a single person to buy non-perishables in bulk and save money (so is Sams Club).

Commute-wise East Eagle River/Chugiak to East Anchorage in winter is 30-45 minutes (mainly due to the Eagle River Loop on-ramp congestion), 15-20 in spring/summer/fall. Mid-town (where the Providence and Alaska Regional hospitals are) is a bit further. Also Wasilla has an Alaska Regional hospital and housing costs in the Mat-Su Valley (mainly Wasilla and Palmer) are much cheaper than the MOA (Municipality of Anchorage) you would also be that much closer to the wilds of Alaska in those two towns... although moose do frequent Anchorage quite often

Hope this helps!
Good information.

Here are a few more Alaska tax facts:
  • Of the 18 Boroughs, only 14 levy a property tax.
  • Only 11 Cities located outside of Boroughs levy a property tax. Therefore, only 25 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
  • 62 municipalities (reporting) levy a general sales tax. Sales tax rates range from a low of 1% to a high of 7%.
  • The "typical" sales tax rates are from 2%-5%.
  • Other types of local taxes levied are raw fish taxes, hotel/motel "bed" taxes, severance taxes, liquor and tobacco taxes, gaming (pull tabs) taxes and fuel transfer taxes.
  • In 2010, local governments generated approximately $1.44 billion in revenues from property, sales and severance taxes. Of that amount $1.165 billion was from property taxes.
Source: Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,528 times
Default Another Texan

I think I might have a job with the U.S. Government this year. The openings are in Fairbanks and Anchorage. I am tired of the heat here and the mind numbingly boring work. I will probably have to take a pay cut to leave, but hey that's the way it goes.

There is a chance, it depends on the crew, that I will would be working an 8 and 6 shift in Anchorage and flying out to the islands most of the time. I didn't find out if I would be staying overnight are returning back to Anchorage every night. (It only matters to me in that it would impact my choice of housing.)

I know less of the job in Fairbanks.

I do know that I would prefer less humidity over more humidity.

Also, for the first year I will be unaccompanied, it would be pointless to bring my wife as I will be flying back to the lower 48 a great deal of the time for training.

I currently live in a small town of about 25,000 we call it a big town as we moved from a real small town of about 1800. It had two restaurants and a Dairy Queen. It is nice to choose from multiple places to eat. The local college draws them in.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage