Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

Gobrien - Yes -- I have plenty of friends that have been denied jobs, because they declared bankruptcy early in life. My current employer doesn't care if you declared bacnkruptcy 30 years agao and don't owe anyone a dime, they won't hire you. So, even though they have perfect credit today, they are still paying the price. And I agree that sometimes it because of events beyond their control.

Back to renting... I always thought that the reason behind first, last, and security deposits in order to move in, was to give the landlord time to evict for non-payment and not lose rental money. If you have less than ideal credit, but 'cash' available, might be able to convince someone to rent to you, if you increase the security deposit to a couple of months of rent. Also, might be able to work into the rental deal that after so many months of not being late on a rental payment, you get one months security deposit back. I have a couple of co-workers that do that if the credit comes back bad... Not sure what the rental laws are like in AK though so they may be a security deposit cap and with nightmare stories, I am not so sure I would want to pay someone 5 months rent to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirlinAK View Post
My husband and I just moved here to AK 6 months ago. We're staying with family but their landlord wants us out because he's worried he'll get into trouble for having too many tenants.

My husband is the only one working right now and we need a place to rent but we don't think we'll have any luck because we've got sucky credit and it seems all the apts out here do credit checks. I hear that some don't but not sure where to look...

Any help will be appreciated thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...outside of Anchorage seems to be less Credit Check oriented for rentals. You can also show bad credit score if you have lots of debt. I have student loans. They will most likely have to scrape the silver off my fillings after I'm dead to even hope to be paid back in full. So it follows you for car loans, rentals etc. I have a great rental history so that helps.

Good Luck!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
If someone had that kind of loot, they might as well buy a place....but then it goes back to credit again.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but...outside of Anchorage seems to be less Credit Check oriented for rentals. You can also show bad credit score if you have lots of debt. I have student loans. They will most likely have to scrape the silver off my fillings after I'm dead to even hope to be paid back in full. So it follows you for car loans, rentals etc. I have a great rental history so that helps.

Good Luck!
I don't have a lot of experience renting all over the state but credit checks are pretty common in Fairbanks and Delta Junction.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Many factors in the buy VS rent arguement, including capital and credit. Down here better have 20% down to even remotely consider getting financed. Although on martys site I have seen some foreclosure take over the payment deals that did not look like you needed huge amounts down. Granted that is in a different part of AK...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Just becasue they run credit does not mean you will be denied, I had a charge off on my account from my ex wife (she is named as the debt holder in the decree) but its still on my credit. They liked my income so they over looked the charge off, other than that charge off my credit is perfect. I am working ot get it off but the credit agencys are not easy to work with. It was seemingly easy when I was able to file the dispute and click divorce decree but then got a response that it was going to remain on my credit unless I submitted more paper work (I assumed that was part of their "investigation" but apparently not). Just apply and let them run the check, as long as your income is high and you can explain the descrpencys on your credit it should not hurt you.

As far as buying we are going to buy land and build out of pocket, mortgage companies and banks are getting too draconian in their lending and collections practices I dont ever want to be under another mortgage where I HAVE to work, no job is secure these days and I dont need 15-30 years of anxiety about when im getting laid off, no one has 15-30 years of job security anymore with garunteed annual cost of living raises sprinkled in with performance raises. This day and time it does not make sense to take out a loan for more than a few years.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 AM

339 posts, read 588,098 times
When we came up in '03 we paid 3 months rent plus deposit to get the place. Mainly because it was my daughter renting it and she had no credit, neither did I other than student loans. Landlord was more than willing to work with us since we offerred paying in advance. Problem is others skrew stuff up and then good people suffer for it, just like dog owners. We also found that the larger complexes in Muldoon area and others like it were more willing to work with credit problems. Also maybe you could get past landlords to write recommendations for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage