Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 11,434 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to warm up my daylight basement? It is very cold we keep the heat at about 69 but the thermostat is on the main floor. The basement is very cold in the winter. We have forced air heat and our bill was about $300 a month for natural gas and $200 for electric. It is mostly finished except for one storage room.

Any suggestions
TIA
Kelli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Have someone install a dual zone heating system.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times
Hmmm… in Louisiana, we have the opposite problem with our bedrooms. Perhaps you could do the opposite of me? Alright, uncover all your windows, be sure you got plenty of chaulking around the windows, and you should have a hot basement in no time! Also, be sure and keep the lights on as much as possible without being wasteful. Light bulbs heat things up like a habinero pepper.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Wood burning stove.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 11,434 times
Default wood stove ?

Moose Whisperer, can I easily replace the gas fireplace with a wood stove? It is a direct vent through the wall. We don't use it much in the basement because it smells like gas fumes when it is on and gives me a headache. Can you recommend a store in anchorage or brand?

Thanks Kelli

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliSean View Post
because it smells like gas fumes when it is on and gives me a headache. Can you recommend a store in anchorage or brand?
Then you need to get it looked at by a professional ASAP because it is a disaster waiting to happen. Obviously it is malfucntioning in some way, please do not takes chances with your family's safety.

Go to Central Plumbing and Heating on International. They can address the faulty fireplace issue and discuss your other options (no affiliation with them).

Home | Central Plumbing & Heating Inc | Plumbing and Heating | Anchorage, AK

Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Hmmm… in Louisiana, we have the opposite problem with our bedrooms. Perhaps you could do the opposite of me? Alright, uncover all your windows, be sure you got plenty of chaulking around the windows, and you should have a hot basement in no time! Also, be sure and keep the lights on as much as possible without being wasteful. Light bulbs heat things up like a habinero pepper.
Good thoughts and that should help the OP a little... My only thoughts on those suggestions are that IIRC, there are very few hours of daylight in the winter, even in Anchorage. And incandescent and halogen bulbs throw off a lot of heat, but energy efficient bulbs (CFT's and LEDS) that are now commonplace do not. So depending on the light bulbs used it may not make that much of a difference. BTW, we have the same problems at the moment, hot is my problem too.

Getting the gas heater fixed or at least verified that it is working correctly is paramount. That is your #1 source of getting the basement warm. At the same time, check for air leaks (re-caulk or caulk the windows as suggested), although you have a new home, so I can only assume that this isn't really a problem. Although you didn't say how/if/what the insulation was like other than the basement was mostly 'finished.' FWIW, IF you have A CBS block wall, CBS doesn't have a a high R-Value (insulation) on its own, so you could be losing a lot of heat thru the walls.

Granted, I am no Alaska winter insulation or heating expert -- those are general cold climate suggestions and I look forward to insulation suggestions from the people here that are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage