Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 58,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Speaking for myself, I have several tents I could provide, one large enough to house a family of four comfortably. I also have a generator and fuel reserved to power my well in order to provide fresh drinking water, a wood burning stove, and enough food to feed a family of four for over three months. In addition, I have weapons, ammo, and the skills necessary to acquire more food if necessary. It wouldn't be easy, or fast, but we are a resilient, independent, and determined group of people.
Being concerned about the possibility of any catastrophic occurrence is natural as part of a normal course of risk assessment before undertaking a new venture. Being concerned about earthquakes in Alaska is only one of the concerns that should be weighed before moving there.
As noted from the above quote about preparedness it is an interesting contrast to someone that I know who lives in Pittsburgh, PA.
My friend rarely has any quantity of food in his apartment. He eats at fast-food places most of the time. He doesn't "believe" in guns, so he won't have one of those around anywhere. He has no other immediate place of shelter other than his new car, and I do not think that he has any experience or training in survival skills for natural or man made disasters.
Even the most experienced adventurer goes forth prepared to avoid having to implement skills learned to deal with survival situations. The adventurer absorbs knowledge about where they are going, and is a pro in the use of any tools that they are taking with them. Above that they have tried to think through any extreme scenario that may occur. Then they go ahead and embark on the adventure after risk assessment of the rewards versus risk.
If one relies on the type of living that my friend does I wouldn't recommend that they move anywhere where those items required for that type of living aren't in abundant and steady supply with low risk of those supplies being cut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonarts View Post
My friend rarely has any quantity of food in his apartment. He eats at fast-food places most of the time. He doesn't "believe" in guns, so he won't have one of those around anywhere. He has no other immediate place of shelter other than his new car, and I do not think that he has any experience or training in survival skills for natural or man made disasters.

Even the most experienced adventurer goes forth prepared to avoid having to implement skills learned to deal with survival situations. The adventurer absorbs knowledge about where they are going, and is a pro in the use of any tools that they are taking with them. Above that they have tried to think through any extreme scenario that may occur. Then they go ahead and embark on the adventure after risk assessment of the rewards versus risk.
If one relies on the type of living that my friend does I wouldn't recommend that they move anywhere where those items required for that type of living aren't in abundant and steady supply with low risk of those supplies being cut off.
I completely agree, it doesn't sound like your friend is suited for the Alaskan environment. In this kind of environment you are either prepared or you die.

Take Chris McCandless as an example. He came to Alaska with a .22 rifle, 10 pounds of rice, and very little else. He had absolutely no clue how to survive in the environment he chose, and it killed him.

With regard to earthquakes in Alaska, it is only prudent to have insurance to cover one's investment. But it takes more than just insurance to survive. In the event of a catastrophic quake, like in 1964, it could take days or weeks to reach areas cut off when the infrastructure is destroyed or damaged. The more remote you are, the longer it will take, and you have to be prepared for such contingencies.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 PM

10 posts, read 58,590 times
Quote:
It was in fact Governor Blanco of Louisiana that prevented the military, and the Red Cross from providing any of the services you listed for a full three days after Katrina. Local law enforcement in New Orleans went around confiscating weapons from law-abiding citizens and participated in the looting that took place. We could certainly do without that kind of government "assistance."
Although my personal opinion is of little value to actually making a change I was once again amused at the logic used in times of extreme emergency like in New Orleans. I'm not sure what positive effect that confiscation of weapons from citizens trying to protect life and property had, but I'm sure it made sense to the powers in charge at the time. I've seen video of the National Guard being ordered to individual houses that were on dry ground to order evacuation and confiscate weapons. To me, who follows a different logic, I would have put the forces in the heart of the destruction zone in rescue operational mode with defensive capabilities. But that's just old moronic me.

I see that there is a problem of many of those being in power having only ambition without any real world experience. Ambition gets them into office with campaigns full of rhetoric, but many lack any experience in handling any sort of emergency. Then people die because resources aren't allocated correctly in an emergency.

The actions of some of the police that turned rogue is just another example of the lack of honor that many people share now. Honor was part of my upbringing. I have failed at times to completely live up to that code that I was taught, but to see the blatant disregard for honor that permeates society now is appalling.

I've read many things about Alaska. I have not had the privilege to visit and may never will, but I do like what I read between the lines in all of the books and articles I've read so far. I've read about the hard heads, hard noses, hard drinking, and at times the hard hearted of Alaska. But then the same guy that might hate your politics and can't stand to even talk to you will stop and pull you out of a ditch on the side of the road without hesitation. I think that maybe that has something to do with honor.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,188,917 times
Quote:
I completely agree, it doesn't sound like your friend is suited for the Alaskan environment. In this kind of environment you are either prepared or you die.

Take Chris McCandless as an example. He came to Alaska with a .22 rifle, 10 pounds of rice, and very little else. He had absolutely no clue how to survive in the environment he chose, and it killed him...
It's a city of some 300,000 people. I just read that you're getting your first Target. Somehow, I don't think day to day survival is such a concern for most residents, even if you move there with only a .22 rifle and 10 pounds of rice. Good luck even trying to get that stuff on the plane these days.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,446,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's a city of some 300,000 people. I just read that you're getting your first Target. Somehow, I don't think day to day survival is such a concern for most residents, even if you move there with only a .22 rifle and 10 pounds of rice. Good luck even trying to get that stuff on the plane these days.
The rifle would be easy, I doubt they would believe it was rice though!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I agree, the vast majority of the city critters are not prepared. Which is why they will die first in a catastrophic quake. They will be suddenly thrown into an environment that is alien to them, with no food, no water, and no clue how to survive. Which is why, in such catastrophes, you will always see the aid going to the cities first, then the rural communities.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,856,312 times
Fear not the earthquakes. It's those darn volcanoes that you have to watch out for. When one of those goes off it's a sight to behold.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Fear not the earthquakes. It's those darn volcanoes that you have to watch out for. When one of those goes off it's a sight to behold.
I agree completely! Particularly if you are downwind.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,235,865 times
Watch your ash!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Volcanic Ash

If a volcano erupts today it will find itself in violation of Anchorage's anti-smoking ordinance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: