Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM

287 posts, read 599,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Unless you stop before actually being drunk
I drink in an hour and you are drunk... as far as the law is concerned... one drink and add a shot within a 1 hour period, and you are very legally drunk... don't forget, most places reduced the 1.0 legal limit to 0.8...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,505 times
Default Here's my two cents

I actually believe infrastructure is a problem. We could use a "loop". A limited access highway, that runs around this city where you can drive over freaking 35 mph and have to stop every freaking block at a light. Minn. is a good start. Connect that puppy through midtown/downtown to the highway north. Then from Muldoonish staying next to the mountains and connecting south around O'Malley
and bamm you just might have what some might call a city. Blah blah dry up your tears. Ya people will be bought out, businesses will need to relocate, but without something like that then we'll never be anything more than a tourist trap. It should have been planned when the earthquake hit and built 15 yrs ago. Hell Hitler saw the need for highways wayyyy back. Even a Republican like Eisenhower pried open those skin flint wallets and built highways.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,631,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
I drink in an hour and you are drunk... as far as the law is concerned... one drink and add a shot within a 1 hour period, and you are very legally drunk... don't forget, most places reduced the 1.0 legal limit to 0.8...
I hope police focus on the people who are actually drunk, rather than the people who are legally drunk, but not having any problem functioning. DUI is a different matter, of course, people shouldn't drive if they've been drinking. I would agree that if someone has had 1 drink in the last hour they shouldn't be driving, but walking down the street to get a cab is fine, and should be encouraged rather than punished.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I hope police focus on the people who are actually drunk, rather than the people who are legally drunk, but not having any problem functioning. DUI is a different matter, of course, people shouldn't drive if they've been drinking. I would agree that if someone has had 1 drink in the last hour they shouldn't be driving, but walking down the street to get a cab is fine, and should be encouraged rather than punished.
Nice sentiment, but I have personally known one of those people for the past 15 years. He has never driven since I have known him... He does get a bit "tipsy", but has never caused an issue. And he is not the first person I've heard this from - that they were field sobriety tested leaving the bar... It may seem silly or extreme, but it's happening... We also now have "no refusal weekends" - for over a year now - They can pull you over, you refuse field sobriety test - your license is suspended for 6 months automatically... No trial, no hearing the state just does it... And it's been upheld as legal many times - not sure how, but NO ONE has successfully fought it, and it's a blood test.

Be very careful in what you wish for in the fight for public drunkenness and/or DUI, you may not like the end result - that's how it all began here...

Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Florida has no refusal as a part of daily operations, when you are driving. Driving is a privilege not a right... You sign an acceptance to sobriety testing when you get your drivers license too. Maybe you could get a constitutional amendment created that adds it with our other rights, but today that is not the way it is.

Fwiw, Our automatic suspension is for 1 year for the first offense and it goes up from there. You do get a hearing and have the chance of getting a business only license.

Sobriety tests do test reaction time. When you have been to several DUI fatality or serious injury accident scenes come back and tell me it doesn't matter...

I will gladly walk you out of a bar and into a cab or sober friends car to go home.

We also have a lot of DWHUA problems too. (driving with head up ...)

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,631,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
We also have a lot of DWHUA problems too. (driving with head up ...)
That should definitely be outlawed

Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,871,464 times
How to make Anchorage better (or any other community)-be active! It doesn't cost a dime to care to participate in your local organizations in your community, your schools, your churches, local organizations of Lions Club, VA centers, food shelf, jobs corp, PTA, and so forth.
Pick up trash.
Help a neighbor shovel their walk way.
Offer a ride to a neighbor.
Mind your manners in daily interactions-say please and thank you!
If you see something that needs doing-do it!
Spend some time giving of yourself.
Pay attention!
Care!
Do something, every single day, big or small.

Every bit counts. Be counted.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM

339 posts, read 589,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And consumers keep spending money in the big stores and chain restaurants.
If more people would buy at the smaller places they would have a chance. You will not get rid of the big stores as there will always be enough shoppers to keep them open, they are usually cheaper. I try to shop local and small whenever I can but I, too, frequent the big stores.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
If more people would buy at the smaller places they would have a chance. You will not get rid of the big stores as there will always be enough shoppers to keep them open, they are usually cheaper. I try to shop local and small whenever I can but I, too, frequent the big stores.
I recently was shopping for denim material for a jacket - "chain" fabric store was $12.99 / yd ... A small local owned store in a small town near me was $4.99 / yd for the same material...

Hmmm - maybe the "big" stores don't always have the best prices...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage