Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If you're only going to be in Alaska for a year, the best way to move is to put the stuff you really need into the cars and drive them up, and stick the rest of it in a storage facility or whatever.
Another vote for this suggestion. It will be far cheaper, and less hassle. Of course, there are LOTS of people who came here for xx months/years who are still here today? Why are you just coming for a year? Are you sure it won't be longer? If you think there is a chance you might stay, I would ditch the stuff down there. Sell it all or donate what you can't sell. Start over fresh up here, and deal with the return trip when/if the time comes. Storage facilities can get pricey. In the end, you will be paying for stuff you don't really want/need and have to figure out how to dispose of if long distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM

17 posts, read 43,036 times
Now, here is just a random question. How would one decide what to bring and what not to bring? I tend to be a "stuff" girl, I need my stuff. It doesn't really mean I need it, but I can't let go. I think about all the big stuff and think I could sell it. But the little stuff could add up. Then I fear I get rid of our table, our couch and chair and then I can't find reasonable priced replacements. Like our pots and pans, and dishes would that be one to take or sell? I am sorry I am just kind of rambling.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,871,666 times
IMO there are two considerations: One, how often do you really use the particular thing; and two, if you do use it regularly, would it cost more to bring it back and forth, or to replace it?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmunk81 View Post
Now, here is just a random question. How would one decide what to bring and what not to bring? I tend to be a "stuff" girl, I need my stuff. It doesn't really mean I need it, but I can't let go. I think about all the big stuff and think I could sell it. But the little stuff could add up. Then I fear I get rid of our table, our couch and chair and then I can't find reasonable priced replacements. Like our pots and pans, and dishes would that be one to take or sell? I am sorry I am just kind of rambling.
As someone else said, load as much little stff in the car and sell/donate the rest. We have plenty of stores up here. There isn't anything you can't replace. It's just VERY expensive to ship stuff up here. It makes it not worth it. I don't know this for sure, but I'd say most peoe who move themselves up here (or leave from here) come with little or nothing. By the way, it is also why a lot of people stay here. There is an expression you'll hear sometimes. We call a person who's lived here a long time a "sourdough." If there were an Alaskan Urban Dictionary, it would define a sourdough as someone who has gotten sour on Alaska, but doesn't have the dough to leave. That is a common joke, but it's true. Moving here or leaving here is. It just a matter of throwing g a few items in the back of a U-Haul and hitting the road. That's why I said you need to consider whether you can really jst come here for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage