Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

Relocating in Wasilla, AK. Need input on driving the Alcan in mid January. Any experienced travelers? Will be taking our dog with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,259,342 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,259,342 times
Road Reports & Fuel Prices - ExploreNorth

Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,875 times
You'll want to order a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion it's the essential guide to the drive.
You'll need current health certificates for the dog. You'll need a passport to get back into the US. Canada won't let you in if you have felonies or DUI's.
Have plenty of warm clothing, food and water with you in the car. You will go long stretches with no cell phone coverage. Plan your fuel stops wisely. Do not leave Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Beaver Creek or Tok without a full tank of gas.
Be prepared for winter driving, including snow, ice and sub-zero temperatures. Have a spare tire, spare belts & hoses, coolant rated to at least 40 below, jumper cables, tow strap, flashlight, etc.
Keep your camera handy... There is some amazing scenery.

Driving the highway in the winter has been discussed often on the forums, so doing some research and reading here will give you more information.

Oh, and stopping at Fast Eddies in Tok for food is always recommended.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM

863 posts, read 2,085,873 times
Extremely short daylight hours in the northern section of the road. Don't drive the section between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake in the dark, due to an exceptional density of large wildlife.

Car needs to be fully winterized before you hit Fort Nelson in BC. Block heater is mandatory. Even though you're heading somewhere relatively mild, you must drive through the border region, between Beaver Creek and Tok, which sees the coldest temperatures in North America. Coolant rated to 60 below.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,554,313 times
I'll second that extremely large wildlife comment between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake. Both going to and leaving from AK, I saw a large herd of Bison and several, very large, Moose. You can't see them at night until you are very close due to the fact that nothing on them reflects light and the road is curvey. Also, your 'miles driven per day' will be low in Northern Canada due to the 70-80 KM/H speed limit which is 45-50 MPH.

I would love to take the drive in the winter just to see the difference between the summer drive. Although we made good time in the 20 hours of daylight in the summer... Milepost was helpful - always topped off when I could and kept a spare 5 gal. fuel jug with me, wasn't really needed, but I did dump it in for a comfort factor to make it to the next station when fuel was $1.89 / Liter... Granted I was getting 20mpg in a truck with a 26 gal. tank. My OCD is running out of fuel... So I always make sure to have more than I need.

Can't answer the winter driving issues directly... but they have been discussed here ad-nauseam.

BTW, if you can I would drive thru Banff in western Canada.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 222,335 times
Make sure your dog has winter gear too like booties as it won't be used to waking in that kind of cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage