Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,291,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonhead View Post
If they fall apart so quickly I'd buy Hunter Wellingtons instead. They don't cost that much more and last forever. No point throwing good money after bad!
1) Do they come in insulated versions?
2) Do they come with steel toes?
3) Will my employer buy them for me?

I'm guessing the answer is the same for all three questions. And they don't fall apart quickly. Considering the kind of treatment they're put through they're very durable, and when they start leaking they're usually easy to patch with Aquaseal or your favorite watertight bonding material. I was just pointing out that defects and other issues were not unknown with American manufacturing, so that sort of thing shouldn't be blamed solely on the change to Chinese manufacturing. And the issue with Grunden's wearing out spots in the ankle is really more a testament to the amazingness of Grunden's rather than the weakness of Xtra Tufs. But it is annoying.

There are people who wear Mucks instead, but those are pretty bulky and seem hard to get your rain gear over. The one guy we had who used to wear them had to put his bibs on and then his boots. So every time he took his bibs off or put them on, he had to take his boots off too. I can't see being happy with that setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 221,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
1) Do they come in insulated versions?
2) Do they come with steel toes?
3) Will my employer buy them for me?

I'm guessing the answer is the same for all three questions. And they don't fall apart quickly. Considering the kind of treatment they're put through they're very durable, and when they start leaking they're usually easy to patch with Aquaseal or your favorite watertight bonding material. I was just pointing out that defects and other issues were not unknown with American manufacturing, so that sort of thing shouldn't be blamed solely on the change to Chinese manufacturing. And the issue with Grunden's wearing out spots in the ankle is really more a testament to the amazingness of Grunden's rather than the weakness of Xtra Tufs. But it is annoying.

There are people who wear Mucks instead, but those are pretty bulky and seem hard to get your rain gear over. The one guy we had who used to wear them had to put his bibs on and then his boots. So every time he took his bibs off or put them on, he had to take his boots off too. I can't see being happy with that setup.
Nope they sure don't come in all those varieties. I was just going by what you said, in terms of quality, about the sole separating after a couple of weeks.

I have a pair and don't like them, like Met they don't fit my feet right.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Before some idjit came along and convinced Alaskans that xtra-tuffs were the footwear du jour, we all wore romeo deck shoes. I still wear them because xtra-tuffs suck crap and don't fit right unless an idjit's got fat feet.

I can always tell when an idjit's new to the island because they're wearing brand new xtra-tuffs and some sort of North Face nonsense.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-14-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Before some idjit came along and convinced Alaskans that xtra-tuffs were the footwear du jour, we all wore romeo deck shoes. I still wear them because xtra-tuffs suck crap and don't fit right unless an idjit's got fat feet.

I can always tell when an idjit's new to the island because they're wearing brand new xtra-tuffs and some sort of North Face nonsense.
I've always thought they were for people with narrow, skinny feet. I wear a 10(4e). I shove my feet into them because they've got the best traction of any rubber boot I've ever worn. I just wish they made them wider.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 PM

You've got some pretty fat feet there, Stiffhead.

I wear a 7.5 women's and my feet were swimming into those fat things. I've heard other women say the same.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
Most women have narrow feet... And this is even more apparent to me lately as I have trouble finding shoes that fit my daughters feet and she only needs wide or a D- E. While they may not work for you, they may work well for someone else. What is the best gear in your opinion?

I have 4e feet too, which is a little wide - very difficult to find comfortable shoes. I usually have to go up a size or so and then I feel like I am wearing clown shoes. I always wondered if a company made wide cold climate boots. My work boots here were tough to find, but I only had to go up a 1/2 size so they would fit.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,941 times
living in Fairbanks and Delta, I never even heard of them. Bunny boots were pretty much all people wear or wore up there.
Of course with Anchorage being so dang wet all the time, my kids do own a pair of BOGs which seem to be holding up pretty well. Can't afford XtraTuffs.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM

They fit my feet just fine once I put some real insoles in them. I have pretty normal feet for a girl (7.5-8) and wear them all day every day with no problems. The uninsulated ones don't feel right, but fortunately it doesn't get so warm here that you can't wear the insulated ones every day.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Leather romeos mold to the person's feet. They're more expensive than Xtra-tuffs but worth it.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Leather romeos mold to the person's feet. They're more expensive than Xtra-tuffs but worth it.
My boyfriend has some like that from when he was commercial fishing and loves them. He wears them whenever he's not wearing Xtra Tufs. Just depends on what you're doing, I guess. If I wore low boots at the hatchery they'd have water in them all the time. Tall boots are nice around town too, when it's slushy and the gutters are all frozen, or there's a foot of snow on the sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage