Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone --

I've had a great time reading through the Anchorage thread already. So much great information and so many helpful Alaskans on this board!

My husband and I moved to Minnesota from Alaska in 1999. His mother had a health scare, he'd had a back injury at work, etc. It was time to go. I've regretted that decision since the plane got off the ground. I watched Anchorage drift away beneath me and actually cried.

We've been here years longer than we ever anticipated and have decided that we've got to get back home. Our kids are getting older and living the city life is changing everything about them we've worked so hard to instill in them. My husband has always said that once you've lived in Alaska, it gets into your blood and you can't get rid of it.

So to the questions I have...

My husband worked on the Slope for years and he has plenty of job prospects as a CDL Class A driver and his many years of experience with heavy equipment and environmental work. He's been offered several jobs already. Is it true that work on the Slope has slowed the last 2 years? Reasons for that?

I have a health care background as a CNA in long term care, with a goal of completing my RN as soon as soon as I can get into a program. Pre-reqs done, ready to just apply. I have no plans of completing my RN here, pushing the move back another 2 years. I understand there is a waiting list to get into UAA, which is expected. It is the same story here at the many colleges here. What could I expect make as a CNA realistically? I've done the SalaryWizard and that estimated $16/hour+. Any recommendations on where to send my resume to?

The cost of living seems to be about the same as the Twin Cities. Rent may be a little higher, though. We will rent the first year and then purchase a home.

As far as the move, we will be driving a Suburban, pulling a trailer. We plan to sell most things before we leave. We did the same when we left Alaska and then shipped what we kept. I estimated roughly 4 days to drive from MN to AK. I know we all will need passports. Other documents I need at the border?

Another thing: We have several guns we will also be bringing with us, as well as ammo. What is the easiest way to get those items to Alaska? Anyone with experience? The owner of our local gun shop said you can ship the guns to another gun shop and pick them up? Are some firearms OK to bring through Canada upon declaration at the border crossing?

Sorry for the short novel, but I found this forum and I saw so many knowledgeable people giving their experience and advice to others, I just had to post our story and see what feedback I would get.

Thanks in advance for your help! It is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,541,919 times
Read up in the Canadian customs website - what paperwork you need depends on what you are bringing over. Long guns are OK, but measure them out. You can ship dealer to dealer. Or as Stiffnecked says, you can use Alaska airlines and ship them as freight. Each gun
Will cost you to bring across the border so it might even be cheaper to just ship them all.

I can't answer any of your other questions as I am only an AK wannabe. I visited last year and want to go back permanently...

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,044,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedHome View Post
Is it true that work on the Slope has slowed the last 2 years?

Reasons for that?
Yes

Sarah Palin

Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,057 times
When I moved to Alaska I shipped my guns to a gun dealer. I used Gun Runners in Anchorage. The cost was $25.00 for the first gun and $5.00 for each additional. You would address your guns from yourself to yourself in care of the the Dealer. This is common practice and the dealers in Anchorage are very familiar with the process. Canadian Customs forms are available for importaion of firearms but it is a very complicated process.

Hope this helps Rob

Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,631,624 times
For the drive up I recommend having a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,767,340 times
If you have pets, current, speciific paperwork is needed for the border crossing.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM

75 posts, read 87,969 times
There are a lot of jobs for heavy equipment and don't sell the slope short. Though there is some slowing down there are still jobs up there. As for a CNA, there are jobs here as well. My wife worked as a CNA for a few years (that was around the time you left). Providence would be a great start, they just recently opened up a new extended stay facility and are always looking for folks. Other than that you could work in private home type facilities but I wouldn't. Everyone covered the guns part; dealer to dealer would be the easiest by far. Housing prices have gone up since you left but have stayed pretty steady the last couple of years. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM

10 posts, read 16,696 times
I recently moved from Anchorage after living there a few years, my fiance had a temporary position, now I am back in the lower 48. YES! Regardless, when I originally moved several Novembers ago we drove a uhaul truck that hauled my car. We left Whitefish, Montana and drove the Alcan. The trip was expensive, gasoline was over $6 a gallon, the hotel and food costs were high. It took us 6 days, driving a minimum of 14 hours, there were rough road conditions (physical besides weather) and construction delays. Awesome scenery but pretty desolate as far as services are concerned especially the second half of the trip. Funny things we saw like the ashtrays in every booth in the bathroom?!
As far as a nursing degree, I was a practicing RN there at several healthcare facilities and saw and heard information regarding employment and schooling. Yes, UAA does have a significant waiting list, but in addition the quality of the program is questionable due to the fact that most of the hospitals prefer experienced nurses or travelers over new grads from the university. That is all the detail I am aware of. I have several nursing colleagues that have left Providence Hospital for the other two. St Elias has given a few friends some serious trouble as has Maxim Healthcare.
Wages are somewhat higher but not as much as some other cities I have worked in in the lower 48, especially compared to the high cost of groceries, gas, goods, healthcare and dental, and rent.
I enjoyed the opportunity to experience Alaska and all it's beauty and outdoors. Anchorage was just too congested and isolated for a longtime residence in my mind. Best Wishes.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM

287 posts, read 600,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert6715 View Post
When I moved to Alaska I shipped my guns to a gun dealer. I used Gun Runners in Anchorage. The cost was $25.00 for the first gun and $5.00 for each additional. You would address your guns from yourself to yourself in care of the the Dealer. This is common practice and the dealers in Anchorage are very familiar with the process. Canadian Customs forms are available for importaion of firearms but it is a very complicated process.

Hope this helps Rob
I would ship the guns, better to know they will be there when you arrive rather than giving a choice finding out you can't cross with one/all/some for whatever reason...

Only other option is contacting customs and asking specific questions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage