Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM

13 posts, read 22,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Be careful running or biking on wooded trails, particularly in the spring when mother bears with new cubs are out. Moving quickly is interpreted by bears as "charging behavior," so they may feel threatened if they suddenly encounter a swiftly moving human moving in their direction.
oooo haha thank you! I dont know a lot about the wildlife up there and it is obviously very different from Colorado. So that is something i am honestly nervous about. I love getting outside especially running on trails and in very "pretty" outdoors places. And i know people do that up there I just want to be prepared and not make any stupid mistakes so thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM

202 posts, read 356,397 times
Anchorage has a lot of trails with good running and no bears or moose. But not all trails are animal free and watch out for the two legged predators.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,718,887 times
I think by last Fish and Game count there were 60 bear living in the Anchorage area. We often saw bears in my old neighborhood. I live even closer to the mountains now so I expect to see them here as well.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
Anchorage has a lot of trails with good running and no bears or moose. But not all trails are animal free and watch out for the two legged predators.
Where are the animal free trails in Anchorage? I have never heard of such a thing in my 37 years here.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM

75 posts, read 87,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I think by last Fish and Game count there were 60 bear living in the Anchorage area. We often saw bears in my old neighborhood. I live even closer to the mountains now so I expect to see them here as well.

Yep, have found s few sets of bear tracks out in the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Where are the animal free trails in Anchorage? I have never heard of such a thing in my 37 years here.

Downtown maybe?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,703,608 times
Went out to Kincaid Park today and they are already posting bear sighting warnings on the chalet door. A sow and a cub over by the tunnel.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Oh please if you need a place to run you can always go over to cuddy park . Places with bear sightings have signs posted so stay away from them if they are active.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
Oh please if you need a place to run you can always go over to cuddy park . Places with bear sightings have signs posted so stay away from them if they are active.
Oh please, what ?? You are the one who said that there are animal free trails in Anchorage. Bears are not the only potentialy dangerous animals in Alaska by any means. Plenty of very large MOOSE frequent the area in and around Cuddy park and to underestimate them is foolish.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Oh please, what ?? You are the one who said that there are animal free trails in Anchorage. Bears are not the only potentialy dangerous animals in Alaska by any means. Plenty of very large MOOSE frequent the area in and around Cuddy park and to underestimate them is foolish.
Yes I will watch out for them next month at the relay for life run at Cuddy park!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Does anyone remember a couple of years or so ago when some guy came home from work, went into his bathroom in his house and there was a black bear in there that had crawled in through the window? This was in a densely populated part of town, if I recall correctly.

Retiredinhomer, in Alaska, it's never a good idea to depend on posted signs to tell you whether bears are in the area. For every bear someone sees in a given area, there are quite a few that no one sees.

Ninety five percent of bears act according to human predictions; it's that other 5 percent of them that sometimes clash with humans. Wooded trails with low visibility aren't the greatest jogging or biking places, particularly during the spring.

Quote:
Yes I will watch out for them next month at the relay for life run at Cuddy park!
Crowds of noisy humans running a relay race are likely to be safe from bears just about anywhere, but we've been discussing a lone jogger rather than that scenario.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-03-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage