Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Rice Bowl
810 E 6th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501
907) 276-7423

Peking Duck takes a long time to prepare. Ideally, the seasoned duck should marinate overnight in the refrigerator before it is baked. A good chinese restaurant will require 24 hours advanced notice before preparing Peking Duck.
I just had lunch again at the Rice Bowl today and their menu says "Roast Duck Cantonese Style," and they require 48 hours advance notice, for a cost of just under $41.00. My mistake, it does not say "Peking Duck" (or "Beijing Duck").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm wondering if I'm used to a different preparation; I've never encountered a restaurant needing so much notice for this dish before. Regardless, I'm always keen to try new places and an excellent duck is worth the wait!
Chinese food in Alaska sucks to be honest. You are better off learning how to cook it yourself. Or wait until you visit the -48s.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,862,042 times
Man, reading this thread makes me realize just how lucky I am in some respects. Within an hour's drive of my house there are about 100 restaurants where you can get Peking Duck. Not all of them are good, of course, but there's excellent Chinese BBQ a five minute's drive from me - suckling pig, BBQ pork loin, BBQ chicken and of course Peking Duck - all of it made on-site (I read that in some cities, like NYC, most of the restaurants don't actually make the duck on-site because it's such a difficult and specialized dish. Here in TO, the best places make them on-site. A couple places near me will also do a whole turkey for you if you bring it to them. It costs like $40 and takes 24 hours. You'll never have a better Thanksgiving meal). One of my favourite spots makes a noodle soup with Peking Duck and BBQ pork - damn, I'm HUNGRY! I might go and get myself a half-duck right now.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,862,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I just had lunch again at the Rice Bowl today and their menu says "Roast Duck Cantonese Style," and they require 48 hours advance notice, for a cost of just under $41.00. My mistake, it does not say "Peking Duck" (or "Beijing Duck").
In North America, usually Peking Duck is the same as "Cantonese-Style BBQ Duck". In China, they are quite different, but in North America, Peking Duck almost always means Cantonese-Style BBQ Duck.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:46 AM

14 posts, read 31,896 times
First, two more good Korean restaurants. The one we like - though we're not Korean food experts - is the Tofu House on Fireweed.
Tofu House
515 W Fireweed Ln
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 258-6715

Here's a blog post I did on it a while ago with a picture of the spread of side dishes they serve you with your dinners. It's called Tofu House because they serve this great array of tofu soups - many with meat in them. But they also have a full menu with meat dishes too.

The VIP restaurant is recommended by people who know more about Korean food than I do. It's on Northern Lights.

555 W. Northern Lights Blvd. Anchorage, AK 99503‎(907) 279-8514

Second, Peking was the old Western pronunciation of Beijing. And it is also the pinyin (official romanization) of 北京, so I would have to agree with Molukai. I guess it's traditionally part of the way that Westerners pronounce that dish.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRaven View Post
Second, Peking was the old Western pronunciation of Beijing. And it is also the pinyin (official romanization) of 北京, so I would have to agree with Molukai. I guess it's traditionally part of the way that Westerners pronounce that dish.
I've have been asking all my old school (born in China with a traditional old fashioned Chinese mindset and very proud to be Chinese) Chinese acquaintances, they are around 50+ years old and on and off working at Chinese restaurants... and all of them are fine with keeping the dish named Peking Duck, not Beijing Duck. Not only are they fine with keeping it being Peking Duck, they have zero interest in the dish being renamed Beijing Duck. And they seemed puzzled by the question.

There is an antique Chinese glass called Peking Glass. And it will always be referred to as Peking Glass.

And why not call China "Zhongguo" instead? Why not complain about Americans not calling China by its Chinese name?

And Americans and other English speaking countries call Germany just "Germany" and not "Bundesrepublick Deutschland". So why nitpick about Peking Duck versus Beijing Duck? Especially since the vast majority of Chinese don't care. We don't even care about there being an awful American concoction called American Chop Suey.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've have been asking all my old school (born in China with a traditional old fashioned Chinese mindset and very proud to be Chinese) Chinese acquaintances, they are around 50+ years old and on and off working at Chinese restaurants... and all of them are fine with keeping the dish named Peking Duck, not Beijing Duck. Not only are they fine with keeping it being Peking Duck, they have zero interest in the dish being renamed Beijing Duck. And they seemed puzzled by the question.

There is an antique Chinese glass called Peking Glass. And it will always be referred to as Peking Glass.

And why not call China "Zhongguo" instead? Why not complain about Americans not calling China by its Chinese name?

And Americans and other English speaking countries call Germany just "Germany" and not "Bundesrepublick Deutschland". So why nitpick about Peking Duck versus Beijing Duck? Especially since the vast majority of Chinese don't care. We don't even care about there being an awful American concoction called American Chop Suey.
Good information. I am not Chinese, but I often complain about American Chop Suey. The last time I had that awful dish was during the 1970s, and never again.

The last good Chinese food I had was in China Town in Los Angeles. They had several excellent Dim Sum restaurants.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM

9 posts, read 16,267 times
So in addition to Peking Duck I would love to know about the restaurant scene in general. Are there a lot of restaurants and food varieties available ? Do the restaurants in town close early or do they stay open reasonably late? What about the pubs?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,941 times
650+ restaurants spreading across a full spectrum of varieties, staying open reasonably late, with some of the best microbrew pubs around:

Anchorage, AK Restaurants: See 651 restaurants with 11,073 reviews - TripAdvisor

China Town on Government Hill is my favorite for Chinese and Korean.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
This is a description of the dish from a Chinese American restaurant that specializes in duck dishes.

Quote:
Peking Duck

is a dish made famous long ago by the Chinese in China. This particular dish is served during banquets and special events with days in advanced notice. The duck had to be dried and air was blown into the duck to separate the skin and meat. After the duck was dried, it was cooked in a one of two ways, a specialized barrel oven which cooked the duck like a convection oven or in a brick oven with an open flame. Our restaurants utilizes the closed oven technique.

In the Orient, when Peking Duck was ordered, only the skin of the duck was served. The meat was taken back into the kitchen to be cooked with bean sprout at an additional charge to the customer. The bone of the duck was made into duck soup which was also served at an additional charge. This was known as the Duck three ways.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: