Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM

50 posts, read 103,248 times

Advertisements

Long story short, we might be moving to Anchorage because of a military move. Here's what we are looking for.

Our BAH is $2400 a month, we have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.

Also, I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'll be working at the Coast Guard base on L street? and would ideally like it to be even less (15 minutes).

As for Alaska itself, I hear LOTS of different stuff. We're currently in Houston, hate it because the heat, the drivers, and a lot of it is pretty ghetto honestly. We don't like to go out and enjoy nightlife and spend most the time on our computers/playing with our dogs. We'd like to get involved with fishing, so I think AK would be great for that. Also, my two hobbies are pretty much guns and cooking, so I think that would be good too.

The main things I worry about are getting around in a car with the snow, the 6 months of darkness, the limited internet plans, hospital care (planning on having a kid this next move), and availability of goods. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, but I think that might go away if I go to Alaska because of all the shipping costs.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:07 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,643,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwin View Post
we have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.
The pets might be a problem with finding a good rental....

Quote:
Also, I'd like to keep my commute under 30 minutes. I'll be working at the Coast Guard base on L street? and would ideally like it to be even less (15 minutes).
Coast Guard base? It's not a base. It's an office building. http://goo.gl/maps/OfQgd
Eagle River might a be a good option. Or anywhere in the Anchorage bowl.

Anchorage has great hospitals. The darkness isn't a big deal and you'll learn how to drive in snow.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM

460 posts, read 614,317 times
You can still shop with Amazon. Many people up here have an Amazon Prime account, which includes free shipping. It costs 80$ a year and can be good if you buy a lot. I look at items that include free shipping. There is not 6 months of darkness up here. Even in the winter there is at least 6 hours of daylight at the shortest time and then it usually goes up fast, gaining 1 hour of daylight every 3 weeks for the first 3 months.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM

44 posts, read 86,916 times
Quote:
Long story short, we might be moving to Anchorage because of a military move. Here's what we are looking for.

Our BAH is $2400 a month, we have 3 small dogs and would like a place with a fence and a house...not a condo or apartment.

As for Alaska itself, I hear LOTS of different stuff. We're currently in Houston, hate it because the heat, the drivers, and a lot of it is pretty ghetto honestly. We don't like to go out and enjoy nightlife and spend most the time on our computers/playing with our dogs. We'd like to get involved with fishing, so I think AK would be great for that. Also, my two hobbies are pretty much guns and cooking, so I think that would be good too.

The main things I worry about are getting around in a car with the snow, the 6 months of darkness, the limited internet plans, hospital care (planning on having a kid this next move), and availability of goods. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, but I think that might go away if I go to Alaska because of all the shipping costs.

Any help would be appreciated!

you will love it here.....We came from Houston 2 months ago and we love it......completely different, another world. Come and enjoy life......

Old 08-12-2013, 03:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,730,994 times
Well, I can tell you personally that Alaska (especially the Anchorage area) has some amazing choices when it comes to having a baby. There are 3 Birth Centers in town, and 3 more in the Valley.Tons of midwives to choose from. The hospitals are quite adequate for high risk pregnancies as well. Lots of choices!!
I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 AM

49 posts, read 107,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The darkness isn't a big deal and you'll learn how to drive in snow.
AK... this seems to be my wife's #1 concern - the low light. Having experience depression before in her life, she is scared that the low light may become an issue. I've heard both sides - 'it's no big deal' all the way to 'it is a serious concern.'
Anyone care to elaborate? We will build/purchase a SAD light when we get there and she's willing to use it. That should be enough?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,323,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonorth9 View Post
AK... this seems to be my wife's #1 concern - the low light. Having experience depression before in her life, she is scared that the low light may become an issue. I've heard both sides - 'it's no big deal' all the way to 'it is a serious concern.'
Anyone care to elaborate? We will build/purchase a SAD light when we get there and she's willing to use it. That should be enough?
The darkness can be a serious issue with some, keep in mind each person is an individual and their reactions just as unique. The single most important thing for a person to do if they have difficulty with the short days is to get involved in outdoor activities, if that is not possible at least get involved with some thing indoors on a regular basis, particularly something physical if they are able. X-country skiing, snowshoeing, downhill skiing or walking the many miles of "bike" paths throughout town, or even taking walks in the malls where it is well lit and warm, join a fitness club, all are popular activities here and it will also allow opportunity to meet people.

If you are church going people, encourage her to get involved with a church function/activity.

Whatever she chooses it is important that she occupies her time when she is not caring for your new baby.

One of the worst things she can do right now is develop anxiety over the "possibility" she "might" be affected.

Thank you for your service!

Best wishes and welcome.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 AM

56 posts, read 110,337 times
It is an individual thing. The darkness totally affects me.. I dont notice it too much until spring... because I start to feel so relieved and so much better! But it doesnt affect my husband nearly as much. He barely notices. It was especially rough for me the first few years. BUT. You do get used to it. I dont have a SAD light (cause as a busy Momma .. its not like I could just "sit" for any length of time under one) but I have found ways to cope. Keeping my curtains and blinds open to let in as much possible daylight (we have a solarium in the kitchen now, its great, I put plants in it too). When you look for a place pick one with lots of natural light (windows!!) although it will negatively affect your heating bill.

And as a previous poster said make sure she is involved. I think one of the reasons it was hard the first few years was I didnt have a support network here yet. Now I get out in the winter as much as I do in the summer (or almost). Hibernating is the worst and intensifies the dark/cold/depressing thing. I dont do outdoor sports (cause its cold ...duh). BUT I do go well to lit places and do fun things in the winter ( we have an indoor water park for example and an ice skating rink in the mall). If you dont have a heated garage ( I highly recommend it) at least get a remote start on your vehicle. I know when I want to go somewhere and I have to drive a freezing cold car... it deters me ALOT. AND its awful cleaning the snow off the car everyday ( I make my hubby do it!). We have a heated garage... too full of "stuff" to park in sadly. Also. I take Vitamin D supplements , I think this helps with the deficiency everyone up here experiences. There are ways to cope though so dont let it be a discouraging factor. And like all things in life... you appreciate the light all the more because of the darkness.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM

501 posts, read 804,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The pets might be a problem with finding a good rental....

Anchorage has great hospitals. The darkness isn't a big deal and you'll learn how to drive in snow.
I may be moving to Eagle River or Anchorage for my job, why will it be a problem finding a rental with pets?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,777,691 times
When we first moved up, we found a lot of places would not take pets, especially three. We ended up renting a Weidner property, then moved a few years later to a rental in Eagle River, as it took us 4 years to find the right home to finally buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage