Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM

63 posts, read 225,630 times

Advertisements

I live in Wasilla and have seen some building going on but no info out on the "interwebs" as to what the heck is being built. 1 - Corner of Seldon and Lakeview right across from Teeland Middle School. I live in the subdivision behind the Kings Lake camp and saw that the corner has been cleared and graded in preparation for building. I drive by it every day and there are no SWPPP signs up with permits or anything to look at. Anyone know what's supposed to go in there? 2 - There is something going up next to Alaska Sales and Service off the Parks highway. What's it supposed to be? 3- Also something over by Kendall Ford. What is that?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,652,745 times
Since you posted this in the Anchorage forum, you probably won't get too many answers. I have also wondered what they are building in those two locations. Maybe it's time for their to be a Valley sub forum!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 PM

173 posts, read 382,614 times
Also, a new commercial building of some kind on the Palmer-Wasilla highway close to 49th state street on the south side of the highway.

And what about the large commercial building in downtown Palmer right across the street from Fred Meyer. I've never understood the allure of not announcing what the new business is that's being built.

Anyway, the Valley continues to boom...

Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 PM

2,797 posts, read 5,652,953 times
The building by Alaska Sales & Service will be Hatcher's Pass Polaris. The building by Kendall Ford is Lithia Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge. The building at Bogard & Tait will be the MatSu Day School. The building on Fishhook by Denali Fitness will be Rock On Climbing Gym. The building in downtown Palmer across from Freddies is Combs St. Office Building. At least half of the space is set up as doctor or dental offices. I'm not sure who is lined up as tenants.
The space the cleared on Seldon by Teeland I'm not sure about. It looks like they just cleared the lot and built a pad.
I do cost estimating in the construction field, so I'm usually pretty aware of what is being built.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,764,438 times
Where are they gonna build the new Costco out there?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Where are they gonna build the new Costco out there?
Nope. Not gonna happen. I've talked to the manager before and he said they know that a Valley Costco will pull too much business from the Anchorage stores.
But it is the rumor that refuses to die. Every time a shovel of dirt gets turned over north of the Knik River someone declares its going to be a Costco.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,254,612 times
Most everything being built in the valley is service based, the valley produces/manufactures almost nothing. As I understand most of the valley is for people that tolerate commuting to anchorage for cheaper housing. The people that work in the valley are the ones that provide services to the commuters.

Am I wrong?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 PM

173 posts, read 382,614 times
The Valley is a more diverse economic engine than you give it credit for. Best schools in the state and by far the most affordable place to live in Alaska. That's why so many families and businesses continue to sink their investments into the Mat-Su. Still has a small town feel to it as well. And no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce, just am continuously amazed at the rapid growth that has taken place out here in the previous 10 years.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:47 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
The Valley is a more diverse economic engine than you give it credit for. Best schools in the state and by far the most affordable place to live in Alaska. That's why so many families and businesses continue to sink their investments into the Mat-Su. Still has a small town feel to it as well. And no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce, just am continuously amazed at the rapid growth that has taken place out here in the previous 10 years.
I don't disagree, but there is no real production of wealth that is driving anything, its all service based, I would wager its from people that either derive their money from oil (either directly or through govt jobs which exist from oil money) or from out of state/trust funds etc. The wealth that drives the economic engine of the valley cant come from thin air.

I know of people that have tried to start legit businesses (ie a business that actually produces goods/finished products from raw materials) in the valley and there is so much red tape its not even funny (from making furniture out of Alaskan wood to drilling for natural gas). I am frankly surprised that permafrost vodka was able to open a full scale distillery in the valley, they must have had the lawyers and money to cut through all the bolony.

The money for the schools is derived from the sky high property taxes, but at least its cheaper than anchorage.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I don't disagree, but there is no real production of wealth that is driving anything, its all service based, I would wager its from people that either derive their money from oil (either directly or through govt jobs which exist from oil money) or from out of state/trust funds etc. The wealth that drives the economic engine of the valley cant come from thin air.

I'm going to disagree. There's more going on in the valley than just serviced based. Thermo Kool has their plant out here: Contact | Thermo-Kool
NANA has a yard in Big Lake, producing equipment for the slope. Builder's Choice has a yard in Meadow Lakes. CAC Plastics is here. And Alaska Roteq. I work for a firm that does testing, adjusting & balancing on commercial HVAC systems in new construction and renovations all over the state and we are based here. Several mechanical contracting firms are based here. RSA Engineers and USKH both have valley offices. There's several aviation companies, both fixed wing and rotary that serve construction, mining and more are based at Palmer and around the Valley. We have a bit of a tourism industry, and it's growing.
Most, if not all of the Alaskan Grown vegetables you buy in the store or at a farmer's market is grown here in the valley. And I believe we export seed potatoes to Asia.
If we could ever get the whiners in Sutton to cooperate, we'd have a big coal export industry. And what's the saying?: "Anchorage is built on valley gravel."
I'm not sure if they'd be defined as "serviced based" but MEA, MTA & the MatSu Regional Medical Center are some of the biggest employers in the Valley. And between Palmer Correctional Center, MatSu Pretrial and Goose Creek Correctional Center a lot of people work in corrections.
There's a couple of different places doing bottled water.
Granted, Ford doesn't have a car plant here. But they don't have one in Anchorage either. What does Anchorage produce? Isn't it mostly serviced based, support by oil workers and military people?

I know of people that have tried to start legit businesses (ie a business that actually produces goods/finished products from raw materials) in the valley and there is so much red tape its not even funny (from making furniture out of Alaskan wood to drilling for natural gas). I am frankly surprised that permafrost vodka was able to open a full scale distillery in the valley, they must have had the lawyers and money to cut through all the bolony.

I would guess there would be A LOT less red tape in the Valley then trying to start something in Anchorage.

The money for the schools is derived from the sky high property taxes, but at least its cheaper than anchorage.
I pay a lot less in property taxes here in the Valley than my parents do in Oregon. A lot less.
Just my thoughts in red above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage