Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,275,113 times

Advertisements

Dakster, just wanted to say I'm glad you and your family finally got to make the move. Sounds like you guys are settling in great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
Thanks CJS123... BTW - it is expensive to move. Mainly because we are replacing things rather than moving them. I still have a long way to go to hit the $12k moving quotes and we are about setup now.

Just got back from the "school social" for my daughter's elementary school - which was neat. Walking to her school was even nicer - where we used to live it was a 30 minute, 7.5 mile drive. Now it is a 10 minute walk and that was because we just missed the crosswalk light.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 PM

80 posts, read 146,646 times
You can be social if you want or people will respect your privacy. Safety in regards to crime will depend on the neighborhood. Based on your husband's industry, I'm assuming you will be looking in areas with a higher price point, and that won't be an issue. Moose are predominant throughout the state, you may encounter bears in the Valley (the towns include Wasilla and Palmer), but more likely in Eagle River and Anchorage because of the proximity to the large Chugach State Park. Again it depends on the neighborhood. I wouldn't worry, but your family will want to be more aware of your surroundings here and get in a little education about the area. I have a headlamp handy in the winter when I take my dogs out or I'm cross country skiing because it's darker longer. REI, a large outdoor equipment store where you may end up shopping for the kids' winter clothes, has classes for bear and moose awareness as well as intro classes on skiing and snowshoeing. AK Fish and Game also has resources on their website about the animals up here. People are outside more in the summer, but there are many indoor and outdoor activities for you and the kids to participate in during the winter.

I'm not very familiar with home schooling. I do know Frontiers Charter Schools and Matsu Central are two organizations that are resources for home schoolers located in Anchorage and Wasilla. I would contact them directly for resources.

I can help you find a house when the time comes!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 PM

187 posts, read 348,800 times
I haven't found anything from homeschool or stay at home moms about how it is during the day while everyone else is at work.

I am as safe here, or safer, as I would be in any other city of comparable size. That said, there aren't a lot of people home during the day. I feel comfortable in my neighborhood, or most local parks, or on trails (though I do take bear spray for bears or other "surprises").

Basically, does everyone stay in their own subdivisions / houses, or do people make friends as a general rule?

If you want friends, you will have them. If you want privacy, you'll have that too. I don't have neighbors in my business but I do have several nice friends in the area I've made by choice.

Can the kids play outside for most of the winter?

Yes. Invest in quality winter gear. They also sell hand and foot warders at Costco which are nice for the kids.

What's up with the hype re: bears and moose? Are the kids safe in their yards in say, Eagle River?

Moose are everywhere. We teach the kids to come inside if they encounter them, or to go another way and call home from a friend's house. Cell phones are handy. We have had bears in our neighborhood and yard several times (ANC. Hillside) and my 9 year old has encountered them while biking with friends. The most important thing is to know how to behave around them, minimize bear attractants (no putting trash out the night before), coach your kids on what to do. I have no idea about eagle river but just as with anchorage, there have been bear maulings out there. Just be aware and have common sense. I would keep an eye on your kids no matter where you live, though.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
I am by no means an expert on the state - however, I have driven a lot of road system here and I can tell you there isn't a place I haven't seen a bear or a moose. I just expect to see them wherever I go here and that is the "safest" way to deal with it. 2 baby moose were spotted on JBER friday behind the building my wife works in. (There have been bear maulings on the base this year too)

I live in ER and in my yard I have moose signs - as in the tree bark is scraped up like a moose cleaned its antlers on it and its "fresh". My daughter's elementary school here has moose routinely visiting the school campus...

So to add to creebo's awesome post - yes in ER you need to be bear and moose aware.

BTW, I am not a mother, but a very protective father - I know the OP wanted "moms" but since my wife doesn't blog... I am kinda answering for her. We feel the same way anyways...

We come from a very large metropolitan area and I feel safe here. Much safer than back home, but saying that, doesn't mean that we are complacent. We are still very protective - even though my 11 year old daughter could walk to school alone - I still won't let her. What was said about friends is true. If you want them you'll make them, if you don't people will leave you alone. The first week I was here I met a couple of neighbors, who told me I have spoken to them more than the previous renter did in the 3 years they lived here...

Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,262,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
As a recent transplant myself- here are my thoughts.

Only been here for the summer so far and there is so much to do it is incredible... Kids keep getting invited to all type of events it is crazy. We have to turn things down as they conflict at times. Our friends have told us that during the winter, the attire changes and the events sorta slow down a little, but you can still keep yourself crazy busy if you want to. During an orientation at the schools our kids go to, they told us they RARELY cancel anything due to weather. Exceptions are icy conditions - but cold and snow alone they won't. (My elementary aged daughter has to go to school in snow pants and needs them for recess because of this as below zero they still go outside to play)

We got lucky and made some incredible friends that also have kids our kids age. They homeschool and are the busiest people I know. No time for adult stuff it seems, which is fine. Your kids are only kids for a short period of time. And actually, I don't really think it is luck, I think it is the attitude of people that live here. It isn't all peaches and cream, but it has been easy to find friends and things to do here.

FWIW, because my wife works on base we choose to move to Eagle River - I don't have the total vibe of the area yet as we still haven't spent a night in the house we JUST rented two days ago as furniture hasn't arrived yet. But if you want I'll update it as things progress.
This post has given me hope as well as we have a 7 year old son.

I like that they let the kids play out in the snow.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:23 PM

134 posts, read 195,740 times
I homeschooled last year and two years before. There are TONS of homeschoolers here, and several programs to choose from. Last year, we used IDEA. There are play dates and all kinds of activities, just like the other posters said, it depends on what level of participation you want. Anchorage has lots of activities, and some museums, even a small zoo, but there are places in Anchorage I won't drive through. Not because of the bear and moose that are all throughout the city, but the higher crime areas. Anchorage is a city just like any other city, but with a flair all its own, the festivals and even state holidays are unique to Alaska.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM

63 posts, read 225,139 times
I don't homeschool, but there is a very strong and large contingent of homeschoolers up here. Many school districts have charter or correspondence schools specifically for homeschooling families. IDEA, Mat Su Central, Twindly Bridge, Frontier Charter, Family Partnership Charter, CyberLynx, the list goes on and on. I imagine there are a lot of activities through any of those things for your kids to do and to have opportunities to be with other kids. As far as socialization - most people keep to themselves. They don't go out of their way to greet you or be nice, and pretty much everyone likes that up here. I live in Wasilla and we only talk to 1 neighbor only because he has a kid the same age as my youngest daughter. No one else talks to us and my husband couldn't be happier. He hates people and I think a large % of the state feels that way. I, however, like a neighborhood feel and want my kids to be able to go out and play with other kids like we used to as kids. You'll have to look for specific neighborhoods and do a lot of research to find an area like that, otherwise it will be very quiet. FWIW, I have seen exactly 0 bears of any sort in Anchorage, Eagle River, or the Valley and I've lived here in AK for 12 years now. Moose yes, lots. But bears? Not a single one. I seem to avoid seeing them when everyone else manages to see them. Oh well.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 PM

134 posts, read 195,740 times
I've seen a black bear crossing Northern Lights by the high school. Other people I know have had them in their yards. And the moose are everywhere, I've seen them both at home and at work, besides crossing the roads. At least the bear hibernate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage