Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 44,272 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Anchorage soon, June or July, and I've been wondering where I'm going to live. I'd prefer to rent from a managed property, not a private landlord. I'm going to be clerking with the court there so if anyone knows about that, you'll know my budget is.....well, limited. Without crunching numbers I'm guessing I'll be needing to live somewhere between $700 - $1,000 a month. Basically just looking for some nice apartments on the nice side of town. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
Look somewhere near the Hillside area. more expensive but worth it. Stay away from Spenard, Mountain View, and Fairview. These have more affordable rents but you know why.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Weidner manages numerous rental complexes in Anchorage:

Weidner Apartment Homes - Alaska Properties

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks Daniel_T and Bongo!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:02 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
no prob. I lived in these areas and they weren't that great. I'm moving back in April and I'm going to have a roommate because the rents are more than I can afford by myself, unless I live in those (not truly bad by lower 48 standards) but bad by AK standards neighborhoods. Oh, also the area around the airport is kinda mixed. Some areas are nice and some are not. Even in those areas, rents can be real high.

Thankfully, I'm starting UAA in the fall, so I don't have to really worry about apartments for long. Hope this helps. By the way, May I ask why you have decided to relocate to Anchorage? I can't wait to come back. To me, there's no other place quite like it.

Daniel_T

Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 AM

5 posts, read 28,101 times
Default Curious?

Peabody - why the preference for a managaed property in Anchorage?

I'm not trying to be nosy (wait...yes I am) but if you're clerking for the court I'm assuming you'll be downtown. If you're downtown and you're cohabitant is going to UAA then there are a lot of options in Bootleggers Cove, South Addition, Airport Heights, and other convenient neighborhoods that would be private landlord situations. From South Addition you could walk to work and cohabitant could bus to UAA without much stress. From Airport Heights cohabitant could walk to UAA and you could bus to work.

Both offer great access to the trails, close to downtown/UAA, cheaper rents and a real taste of living in Anchorage. Without the hassle of shooing crack dealers off your porch in the morning

Old 01-10-2008, 01:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I saw a beautiful one BR w/ a garage here in South Anchorage for $900 a few months ago.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,678 times
I'm checking out some of the apartments in the midtown Anchorage area and was wondering if all the flights into Anchorage International keep people awake. Is there a landing/takeoff ordinance ? Are apartments along the flight lines soundproofed ?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articmommy View Post
Peabody - why the preference for a managaed property in Anchorage?
Honestly, its kind of a mix of reasons. This will be my fourth, lol, maybe fifth long distance move I've made and in my past experiences going with a managed property when you're moving to a city where you know no one/nothing is usually the best way to go. With managed properties you get that better sense of security; things get repaired, you have a parking spot, they usually have all the materials set up to get your utilities going, and they don't mind doing everything over the phone/internet.

But, with all that being said, if I could get a similar experience with a private landlord in the areas you mentioned, it would be great to be so close to downtown and work.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
May I ask why you have decided to relocate to Anchorage? I can't wait to come back. To me, there's no other place quite like it.
That's kind of why I want to relocate there. I was out there this summer for a few months and liked all the people I met and liked the surroundings in general. I've been looking for a place to relocate to after I finish law school, somewhere where I can start thinking about staying in one place for awhile and thought I'd give Alaska a try. I don't really think I'll want to stay in Anchorage for long, but I figure that's the best place to get my toes wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage