Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think Rhiannon has anything to worry about ... her dh is a pilot with Alaska Airlines and has been for awhile. I think she's a nurse or is maybe in nursing school.
You're correct. Hubs is currently training for captain, which will help more with the cost of living up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
Nice, that will work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think Rhiannon has anything to worry about ... her dh is a pilot with Alaska Airlines and has been for awhile. I think she's a nurse or is maybe in nursing school.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
I still would like to know who is getting and what calib[url=http://www.papersblog.com/]e[/url]
r of job would it be? If I were required to bet it was medical.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I still want to know who is hiring and what caliber of job is it? If I had to bet it was medical.
Yep. Medical here pays executive salaries for Associates level education, that's for sure.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM

That sounds very nice, though I would not want a nurses hours or be out of town as much as a pilot has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Yep. Medical here pays executive salaries for Associates level education, that's for sure.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,269,370 times
Congratulations!

Old 09-09-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
That sounds very nice, though I would not want a nurses hours or be out of town as much as a pilot has to be.
Anchorage-based pilots for the airline actually don't go on as many layovers as the pilots from other bases. They do more turns than anything.

Of course, domestic pilots don't spend near the time away from home as their international counterparts.

When I'm working, I prefer to work nights.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM

23 posts, read 28,512 times
Quote:
Who is doing all this hiring, I would be really weary about taking a job in AK right now. Lots of lay offs happening and more to come. You could very well start your job and be laid off in a few months.
We're moving because my husband was offered a federal position. I might work for Nordstrom or collect unemployment under spousal relocation while looking for a social worker job.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Is it hard to get those pilot slots though? I have heard a lot of pilots have had to slog through all the undesirable schedules and missed birthdays births etc. Not too far off from being in the air force.

Or is it just the pay is so radically different doing the undesirable flights that people are more inclined to do it to support the familys habits?

I have avoided professional piloting because of all the horror stories I have heard about how only a lucky few have the cush jobs that pay decent. I think its funny that these days we refer to jobs where you can actually see your wife and kids as "cush" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Anchorage-based pilots for the airline actually don't go on as many layovers as the pilots from other bases. They do more turns than anything.

Of course, domestic pilots don't spend near the time away from home as their international counterparts.

When I'm working, I prefer to work nights.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Is it hard to get those pilot slots though? I have heard a lot of pilots have had to slog through all the undesirable schedules and missed birthdays births etc. Not too far off from being in the air force.

Or is it just the pay is so radically different doing the undesirable flights that people are more inclined to do it to support the familys habits?

I have avoided professional piloting because of all the horror stories I have heard about how only a lucky few have the cush jobs that pay decent. I think its funny that these days we refer to jobs where you can actually see your wife and kids as "cush" lol.
Yes.

What you're referring to basically is their seniority system. It takes a long time before pilots have any hope of remotely controlling their schedules. Hubs has flown for the airline for 15 years, so he's finally at a point of calling his own shots.

Pilots are paid the same, regardless of the nature of the trip. Deadheads get paid a little more, then there is also the per diem pay (for layovers) as well as the possibility to pick up premium trips which pay at time and a half.

Most people don't realize that pilots are officially only getting "paid" once the doors shut to the cockpit as the plane prefers for pushback. Pay stops as soon as those doors open again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage