Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,131,805 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the city has ever considered turning merril field into housing developments?

Does the city own Merril and could they do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM

92 posts, read 94,877 times
Why would they do that?
from General Information
Operations

Merrill Field has ranked among the busiest airports in the nation for several years. Activity peaked in 1984 when the field was ranked 15th in the nation. In 2010, Merrill Field was the 72nd busiest airport in the nation with 144,892 flight operations.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Are you sure you are not confusing that with lake hood which is connected to anchorage international. I know lake hood was the busiest sea plane base but I never heard about merril.

Also busyness does not always translate to revenue or benefit to the city overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braje View Post
Why would they do that?
from General Information
Operations

Merrill Field has ranked among the busiest airports in the nation for several years. Activity peaked in 1984 when the field was ranked 15th in the nation. In 2010, Merrill Field was the 72nd busiest airport in the nation with 144,892 flight operations.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:06 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,628,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Are you sure you are not confusing that with lake hood which is connected to anchorage international. I know lake hood was the busiest sea plane base but I never heard about merril.

Also busyness does not always translate to revenue or benefit to the city overall.
No confusion. Merrill Field is one of the busiest general aviation fields in the nation. Spend 10 minutes in the parking lot of the Northway Mall and you'll see the traffic.
It is owned by the Muni, but there's no way they'd close it down. There'd be a riot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Field

Old 09-03-2015, 05:44 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,014,913 times
Merrill Field is here to stay. If it was closed there is no way Anchorage int'l could absorb all of the general aviation traffic and still function. Birchwood is nowhere big enough to even consider taking the overflow. Not sure if Palmer could be expanded enough. Thus a new airport would have to be built somewhere. General aviation in Alaska is too important to locate the airport 1 to 2 hours away from Anchorage.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:48 PM

How much actual legitimate commerce is going on at Merril? I would think the majority of that would go out of international. I have driven around that area a bit but most of the air traffic I see appears to be joy riding not commercial flights. I put in a suggestion to the muni because it seems like a lot of space being taken up for very little actual genuine commerce. But I could be wrong.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM

65 posts, read 121,434 times
If Merrill Field was shut down, I don't think Anchorage international would be able to accommodate all the air traffic Merrill receives with all the cargo planes and out of state/international flights. Basically it could make one big clusterf*** and possible decrease revenue since the airport is not big enough to receive every plane. Also, Merrill Field has a taxiway that goes all the way to Alaska Regional Hospital for the medevacs.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,929,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
How much actual legitimate commerce is going on at Merril? I would think the majority of that would go out of international. I have driven around that area a bit but most of the air traffic I see appears to be joy riding not commercial flights. I put in a suggestion to the muni because it seems like a lot of space being taken up for very little actual genuine commerce. But I could be wrong.
Revenue from Merrill Field is less than 4 million per year, not much really. Besides the overwhelming negative response to creating housing there, there are 150,000 take offs/landings each year. There are also over 40 aviation business located there and 900 based aircraft. And as BarrowWX noted, it’s also one of the few airports in the nation to have a taxiway directly to a hospital.

There is nowhere close that could handle that many aircraft. Ted Steven’s International wouldn’t be able to absorb that many.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Ted Stevens is class C and the tower would not have to absorb everyone. I would think the hand full of actual genuine commercial operators could relocate to lake hood/international. I have never once seen a medevac plane or chopper out of merril or regional but I have seen plenty of joy riding. I take that back I seen one over eagle river one day but they could have been going to providence too since it was a chopper.

So the muni makes almost no money off of it and it facilitates very little legitimate public commerce. Why would there be a negative response to building housing there? Would people not want to build there?

I have driven through merril a few times and I see TONS of private aircraft and I think one time I saw a commercial flight out of there, ever. So why is the muni and everyone else subsidizing private aircraft to have a base of operations to joy ride out of?

Old 09-03-2015, 06:38 PM

65 posts, read 121,434 times
A section of Merrill Field was also built on top of a closed landfill and so it needs constant maintenance due to settling, not very good to build housing on top of it. Also, just because you don't see medevacs doesn't mean they don't land there, unless hundreds of people a day need to be medevac'd out of the bush. It's not going away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage