Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,832 times

Advertisements

i need as much info as i can get on moving to alaska. its a place i have always wanted to go. im 36 and my kid is moving away to college so its just me and my 7 year old. we currently live in connecticut. i hold a section 8 voucher so i need to find someone that can help me find an apartment that takes section 8. i am ready for a whole new life!!1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Where in Alaska do you want to move to & how much do you have budgeted to get out there?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
I don't know your finances but being as your on section 8 now, how in the world would you make it out here. We just moved our family out last month. Driving an RV and towing a van we paid about $4,500.00 in gas alone from Virginia to Alaska. It only took us 1 week and $300.00 in food. What would you do about bringing your belongings? If it was just you and one child and the bare essentials I would say take a train or bus to get here. I would think it might be the cheapest and easiest. Good Luck to you!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:56 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
I'm not in Alaska anymore, but please listen to the others here. Don't bring much stuff. You can find some great bargains from folks moving the other way. Tons of deals, especially in the summer months. People have fire sales and literally almost give their stuff away. Great for bargain hunters and garage sale enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I'm not in Alaska anymore, but please listen to the others here. Don't bring much stuff. You can find some great bargains from folks moving the other way. Tons of deals, especially in the summer months. People have fire sales and literally almost give their stuff away. Great for bargain hunters and garage sale enthusiasts.
Oh God... My wife would want to move just for the sales.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:45 PM

[quote=Barkingowl;4349344]Where in Alaska do you want to move to & how much do you have budgeted to get out there?[/quoti i was thinking anchorage and as of yet i have nothing budgeted. im just trying to gather as much info as i can to see if i can do it.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I don't know your finances but being as your on section 8 now, how in the world would you make it out here. We just moved our family out last month. Driving an RV and towing a van we paid about $4,500.00 in gas alone from Virginia to Alaska. It only took us 1 week and $300.00 in food. What would you do about bringing your belongings? If it was just you and one child and the bare essentials I would say take a train or bus to get here. I would think it might be the cheapest and easiest. Good Luck to you!
from what i have read on here i was thinking thats how much i would need. its just an idea still, but thanks for the info.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Probably the cheapest way to get to Anchorage would be flying, now that gas is getting so expensive. It would also be the fastest. Do you have any friends or relatives here to stay with?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Probably the cheapest way to get to Anchorage would be flying, now that gas is getting so expensive. It would also be the fastest. Do you have any friends or relatives here to stay with?
i have NOBODY there. am i being really stupid? its just something i have always wanted. if i was to fly, how do i get my car there? either way it will be awhile cuz i need to get all the funds together. i have never moved except for different places in the same town.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 AM

7 posts, read 26,703 times
You can drive to Seattle and then take the ferry to bring your car to Alaska. Either that, or sell everything you own, to include your car and start over when you get here. It's very expensive to move things here, unfortunately, which is why most people only take what is very dear to them when they move either way.

There are lots of deals here. There are Salvation Armies, and I can recommend a very good Auction house here that has all sorts of things that you can bid on online, to include furniture and household goods.

But, please research very carefully before you make any sort of committment to move here. It's more expensive here than in the Lower 48 for one. And it's a different lifestyle. I grew up mostly in the Midwest, but lived in Montana for 12 years before moving here 10 years ago. I love living here now and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage