Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 AM

10 posts, read 35,041 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd definitely recommend having about $5000 set aside for moving costs...even if you just fly here you'll need a motel for a couple nights and whatever $$ to get into an apartment.

I don't mean to disagree with anyone...but, I guess I do...so here goes.

The Salvation Army here is expensive compared to the lower 48. My hubby and I just got a couch about 6 months ago... We looked at Salvation Army, Value Village and a few other second hand stores...couches that looked very worn out (and didn't smell that great) were in the $150-$250+ range. We ended up going to the JCP furniture store and finding a new couch on clearance for not much more than the used stuff, but MUCH nicer and better condition. Shelving and other things are also spendy...even at Walmart...compared to lower 48 prices.

I love to second hand shop/yard sale (I'm frugal by nature ). The yard sales haven't been as good the last few years as they used to be, but there are still bargains to find. Craigslist is often a good option.

In the long run, it *is* probably cheaper to buy used up here upon arrival... Just make sure you budget enough. Mattresses are also a very pricey item here (for a decent one). Don't go to Bailey's...they'll sell you junk and it'll just fall apart...avoid Mattress Ranch, too. Sorry, it's just junk.

On the bargain side of things... There's no sales tax in Anchorage, no state income tax, we have a Costco that has some real good deals, we're supposed to be getting a Super-Walmart here in the near future, and dividends (after a calendar year of residency) are GREAT!

Keep in mind that we do not have dollar stores here... I know living in the lower 48 there are some amazing bargains to be found... Also, no discount grocery stores. There are 2 bread outlets, though.

Our library system is fantastic!! Large selection of books, movies, CDs, etc. And lots of kid activities (you mentioned a 7yo).

Hope you get to follow your dream!! Bring your snow boots and a spirit of adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
i want ot move to fair banks i live in illinois now and am on sec 8 how much is rent there? me and my wife and daughter will fly in how much is a car old beater with a heater?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,130,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana il View Post
i want ot move to fair banks i live in illinois now and am on sec 8 how much is rent there? me and my wife and daughter will fly in how much is a car old beater with a heater?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,638,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana il View Post

You deserve two signs.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,748,855 times
how do you figure on paying for the move all the way to Fairbanks seeing your on Section 8 housing?? you should be able to at least spell the name of the city you want to move to by the way.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 AM

17 posts, read 35,495 times
Okay, the Fairbanks ones I can answer cause I am from there! Yay! If you rent from a larger named apartment (Sophie's and Willow Woods) it'll cost quiet a bit as in over a thousand dollars a month. There are always people who are renting out houses or apartments that don't have huge names that advertise in the local paper.
I'm really not sure how you go about preparing to move to Alaska. But I know my husband's grandfather decided that he wanted to be a rancher with his own property so he moved up. They bought a bunch of land and built their own houses. Some of them are nice and some are not.
I know getting a U-Haul (not the smallest) and the trailer that holds the car (all four wheels, not just two) in North Carolina to drive up to Alaska is about $3,000. That's not including gas, hotels, food, and so on.
Most places you rent from just want first and last months rent. I know there's equal opportunity housing in Fairbanks, but I would look in the area close to West Valley High school (it's nicer) and away from downtown. I'm not sure what you mean by section 8, but I think it's the government's way to make sure veterans can afford a place to live. If I'm right, you other should be ashamed; treating a vet that way... And I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but it's not nice being rude for no reason.
Cars, I'm really not sure about. I know the police have auctions but the car comes as is. I'd check the newpaper a lot for that as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.smyth View Post
Okay, the Fairbanks ones I can answer cause I am from there! Yay! If you rent from a larger named apartment (Sophie's and Willow Woods) it'll cost quiet a bit as in over a thousand dollars a month. There are always people who are renting out houses or apartments that don't have huge names that advertise in the local paper.
I'm really not sure how you go about preparing to move to Alaska. But I know my husband's grandfather decided that he wanted to be a rancher with his own property so he moved up. They bought a bunch of land and built their own houses. Some of them are nice and some are not.
I know getting a U-Haul (not the smallest) and the trailer that holds the car (all four wheels, not just two) in North Carolina to drive up to Alaska is about $3,000. That's not including gas, hotels, food, and so on.
Most places you rent from just want first and last months rent. I know there's equal opportunity housing in Fairbanks, but I would look in the area close to West Valley High school (it's nicer) and away from downtown. I'm not sure what you mean by section 8, but I think it's the government's way to make sure veterans can afford a place to live. If I'm right, you other should be ashamed; treating a vet that way... And I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but it's not nice being rude for no reason.
Cars, I'm really not sure about. I know the police have auctions but the car comes as is. I'd check the newpaper a lot for that as well.
Section 8 of the military is totally different. Section 8 housing is for low income people who are on public/federal assistance. These can be disabled, welfare, or such people. A section 8 voucher allows them to move anywhere within the United States.
Therefore the landlord must be approved to accept these people.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Section 8 or Section Eight may refer to:

Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM

17 posts, read 35,495 times
Well, I know the first one is outdated and just a term now. But Section 8 housing was originally created during the great depression to help military vets who were not able to make it be able to afford a place to live. It's harder in some ways because even Equal Opportunity Housing needs to accept Section 8 vouchers. There are much better programs now for vets, but that was what it was originally for.
As I said though, even if I was wrong, being that rude was strange (especially since we can't use tones via written language extremely well) and not really called for. It's not like people in Alaska are all that bright. I know some extremely brilliant people who just continue going to school and never really get a job, I know some people who are smart who never finished school, and I graduated from high school with classmates who didn't even know what a verb was.
It also backfires when you go to a new place, like New York, and mispronounce something, like Houston (which is prounced "house-ton" there) or go to Hawaii and use the lazy English way of blending the last "a" and the "i's" which I do all the time.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM

sorry you have taken offense to some of the answers given. when seeing a post written as the OP has, 1. it shows no research has been done (or they would know how to spell Fairbanks) 2. the simplicity of the statement regarding flying up and buying a beater car with a heater....shows very little or no research as to Alaska climate. People on this forum have seen many many in fact too many people who haven't a clue....they just think they can move to Alaska on a whim....they are in fact saving the OP's lives by answering in such a manner or preventing yet another family/person landing in Alaska only to end up broke, no money to get back to the -48's and just plain stuck.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:31 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,890,282 times
Alaska is not a very good place to live if you are low income, even with assistance. Moving here intentionally under those circumstances would be completely unpleasant for the new resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage