Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,586,011 times

Advertisements

My brother and his family are going to be moving to Anchorage in the next month and will be in need of a dog day care for their pets while they work and the kids are in school.

Any recommended ones or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:40 AM

7,641 posts, read 5,145,803 times
Anchoarge is not a dog friendly city (its also not pedistrian friendly or really friendly at all). The moment you have to hire anyone to do anything its going to cost you alot more than you think. My friends that have pets they just leave them home. Also its a major head ach to find a rental that will accept pets.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 13,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
My brother and his family are going to be moving to Anchorage in the next month and will be in need of a dog day care for their pets while they work and the kids are in school.

Any recommended ones or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance...
I don't live in Anchorage yet, but I've been in contact with AK Must Love Dogs (AK Must Love Dogs - Doggie Daycare & Boarding in Anchorage, AK) about possible airport pickup for my 3 pups in case our flight there in May is delayed and theirs isn't. So far, they've been very helpful and I've checked out their FB page and they seem great! Plus they are building a new facility which looks good. I plan on bringing my two 2 year old pups there for daycare to help them get settled easier.

Also, in regards to the above post, like I said, I'm not IN Anchorage yet, but from what I've seen, it does seem fairly dog-friendly. I've seen plenty of house rentals online for up to 2 dogs. I'm still searching for one that will accept 3, but I haven't reached out to any since we still have 5 months until we move. I'm sure there are more dog-friendly places, but considering I'm coming from a place where dogs are regularly abused and abandoned (the reason I have 3 dogs now) it definitely seems promising there!

Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,553,169 times
More dog friendly than Cat friendly as far as rentals... At least from what I have seen.

Pittsflyer is more of the glass is half empty person.

Yes, you do have to pay for services and yes, the services are typically more expensive and the number of choices is not as great as other places.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:41 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,125,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

^ Understatement of the year.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 PM

That is a positive note, I know just 3-4 years ago it was almost impossible to find anywhere that accepted any kind of pets (and the places that did wanted a really fat deposit). They must be loosening up with the colapse that is taking place.

It makes sense that land lords will start flexing on rules to get tennantes before they have to start significantly cutting rates.

Also be aware that certian services up here can be 2-3 times as expensive as what you are used to, you need to digest that for quite some time before you get here, though I have lived here my entire life and am still not used too the rates.

Quote:
More dog friendly than Cat friendly as far as rentals... At least from what I have seen.

Yes, you do have to pay for services and yes, the services are typically more expensive and the number of choices is not as great as other places.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Times are changing and the market is starting to change in Anchorage.

Pittsflyer - You might be able to get that place you always wanted.. I have a feeling that housing prices are going to start falling fast.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:36 AM

I have a fat bank account built up and now I am just waiting, it is coming. Lots of the homes on the market right now are EMPTY, which means pre-forclosure. If they dont forclose by next summer I will start making low ball offers at the price points that I think are inevitable.

If someone can hold out and make the payments from some alternate income source then they can keep the house. I am very excited to not have to pay the "alaska premium" so that I can actually retire before I have one foot in the grave.

Quote:
Times are changing and the market is starting to change in Anchorage.

Pittsflyer - You might be able to get that place you always wanted.. I have a feeling that housing prices are going to start falling fast.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM

My issue is that I am renting and would really like to NOT rent soon... As I feel that is just giving money away.

I am watching and waiting too... Although I will have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Why, think about how long you will have to rent to chew up the 50-60k or more these properties are going to fall. Even if you are paying 1500 a month you can afford to do that for several years and not even touch 50 grand and I think the prices will fall more than that. I dont like paying the rent either but the money I will save in the long run waiting is likely to be huge.

But the owners will hold out as long as they can so it will be an antagonistic game unfortunatly.

Quote:
My issue is that I am renting and would really like to NOT rent soon... As I feel that is just giving money away.

I am watching and waiting too... Although I will have to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage