Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times

Advertisements

HELLO!! Thanks in advance for checking in. I know ya see it all the time the lower 48 invasion. lol
Seriously my family is in the process of joining the largest state in the U.S.. We are very excited but also educated. Because we live so far away and you can only read so much information on the web. We are reaching out to the locals for advice and general insider info.
I am a LPN for now and may finish my RN before moving. The hardest thing is deciding on where exacty to settle down. trying to find employment before buying a home is tough. I know we want to stay in a more remote area but still be able to make it to work on a daily basis. South Central I think we both pretty much agree on but where?. We are what ya call educated Hillbillies. Hunting Fishing and pretty much anything outdoors.

WE Will gladly take any advice or question. We are also aware of cost of living. Not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Finish your RN before you move up here. With an RN you'll greatly improve your ability to earn a decent income. Best advice I can give you.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:16 PM

Thank you.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Finish your RN before you move up here. With an RN you'll greatly improve your ability to earn a decent income. Best advice I can give you.
I'll second that!

Old 10-01-2016, 11:02 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Come for a visit before you commit to moving.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:36 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times
Not sure what you consider remote, but when I think of remote, I don't think of south central Alaska.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
^Agree with Haolejohn, anywhere in a commutable distance of Anchorage or even Wasilla/Palmer hospital, will probably be disappointing if you're looking for remote..... It's kind of crowded down there.

Agree with the other posters that getting your RN before you move up would be a better move financially and give you infinite more job opportunities.

Although, Bethel is hiring LPNs at $46k with a $10k relocation bonus and additional retention bonus and full benefits and PTO, you could do a lot worse. And the best part is it isn't in Anchorage .
Licensed Practical Nurse - 10K relocation, + 6% retention bonus - Bethel, AK - Indeed Mobile

Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^Agree with Haolejohn, anywhere in a commutable distance of Anchorage or even Wasilla/Palmer hospital, will probably be disappointing if you're looking for remote..... It's kind of crowded down there.

Agree with the other posters that getting your RN before you move up would be a better move financially and give you infinite more job opportunities.

Although, Bethel is hiring LPNs at $46k with a $10k relocation bonus and additional retention bonus and full benefits and PTO, you could do a lot worse. And the best part is it isn't in Anchorage .
Licensed Practical Nurse - 10K relocation, + 6% retention bonus - Bethel, AK - Indeed Mobile
But if they aren't supplying housing $46k isn't that much money in Bethel.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I'v found that remote means different things to a lot of people from the -48. I remember one person who said he wanted a remote property but what he really wanted was to be 20 or so minutes from a small town with basic shopping.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:03 AM

Yes down here its a lot different. We want as far out of town as possible but still having a reasonable drive to work. At the moment I have a 50 min drive but our winters are mild compared to up there. We want to have a small amount of livestock and property no less than 5 acres. We are planning a visit. Hoping to narrow down the area. Thank you for all of the advice so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage