Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM

82 posts, read 355,499 times

Advertisements

Does Anchorage have flights over the North Pole to the Nordic European countries? It would be much shorter than flying to the continental U.S. first and then flying there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,891,531 times
No they do not. I've traveled to Sweden twice in the last 9 months and had to go from Chicago to Stockholm. They go up through Canada, across the southern tip of Greenland and just graze the southern tip of Iceland.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM

Default sverige

I've been there in the last nine months too! It's great there

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,450,506 times
Condor does summer flights from Fairbanks to Frankfert Germany, that is as close as we get up here.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,649,758 times
I so wish they did... 26 hours something of flying and waiting at the airports when you could just fly over the North Pole...
I know I asked Rance this once, why they don't, and it's probably because if something happened, it would be difficult to come to rescue the airplane in need, but, wouldn't it be difficult to do a rescue operation over the Atlantic as well?

Here's my solution: let's fly over the North Pole in the summer, and over the Atlantic in the winter.
It would probably be cheaper for the airlanes too, wouldn't it? Or maybe it has somethning to do with the winds? But one is flying towards the wind one way anyway... I'll ask my Geography teacher, and if he doesn't know, is anyone up for calling maybe SAS and ask?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 AM

Den är undebar ide, tycker jag!

We should call and ask Alaska Airlines and Finnair too! In case SAS says no. I wonder if even a flight once every two weeks from Anchorage to Stockholm would do? That could get people over there shorter at least, and then they can go where they want. Wouldn't it even be shorter for people from Seattle too? That could help make it profitable if it was a Seattle flight that went to Anchorage first, then over the top.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,891,531 times
I miss Sweden.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,810,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7y View Post
Does Anchorage have flights over the North Pole to the Nordic European countries? It would be much shorter than flying to the continental U.S. first and then flying there.
I believe that's designated military air space, which makes it a no-no.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,887,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I so wish they did... 26 hours something of flying and waiting at the airports when you could just fly over the North Pole...
I know I asked Rance this once, why they don't, and it's probably because if something happened, it would be difficult to come to rescue the airplane in need, but, wouldn't it be difficult to do a rescue operation over the Atlantic as well?

Here's my solution: let's fly over the North Pole in the summer, and over the Atlantic in the winter.
It would probably be cheaper for the airlanes too, wouldn't it? Or maybe it has somethning to do with the winds? But one is flying towards the wind one way anyway... I'll ask my Geography teacher, and if he doesn't know, is anyone up for calling maybe SAS and ask?
Well Hello there Sweden, good to hear from you again! Hope all is well with you and yours, espero que todos son bien. was noticing an earlier post on this thread, Arcticthaw mentioned something about "Condor" having flights, I won't go into the visual that came into my mind on that one.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,423,324 times
Condor does have flights out of both Fairbanks, and Anchorage to Frankfurt. Though before it gets to either of those cities it stops in Whitehorse. We took this flight this summer, and it is nice option to have rather than go to Seattle and head over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage