Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My daughter is a nurse and excepted a job in Anchorage. Yes, they have been there, they actually own land in Soldotna. They are looking for suggestions as to where to live. They want to live outside of Anchorage but an easy commute in. They have 4 children, her 2 step kids are 13 and 11. The 13 year old girl is a highly competitive swimmer in Wisconsin. So a high school swim team is essential.And no she is not happy about the move. The 11 yr old is so excited, he loves the outdoors. Then her 2 kids are 4 and 2. Her husband is an EMT/Paramedic but probably will do something else. She has a generous bonus, moving expenses. They have been living with us to save up money.

Where would you suggest they look outside of Anchorage? I don't think there is much south of Anchorage so it would probably more towards Palmer, or am I missing something. They will rent for the 1st year or two. Here in Wisconsin we have free 4K in the schools but I don't think they do up there.

I laugh because when she was almost 4, 30 years ago, we moved from Chicago to Wisconsin with no jobs. Just a dream to own some land and we did fine. Now she and her husband have the same urge but obviously much further than the 4 hours we went.

Any help on areas would be great. I know HR will also work with them but wanted some input from all oof you. Thanks!
When I worked in North FL I got to know coworkers from Georgia. The joke about Georgia Tech was (1) the male to female ratio of about 3 to 1 and (2) the "odds are good but the goods are odd". Georgia Tech is comprised mostly of engineering and science majors in a fiercely competitive settings. They are seen as academically brilliant but socially awkward - hence the joke.

I told a female coworker about that joke from Atlanta, and she loved it. I did more research and learned that the phrase is also used by some women in Alaska - men outnumber women by far but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:12 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
phrase is also used by some women in Alaska - men outnumber women by far but...
Except that's not true... https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045216/02 It's about 47.3% female and 52.7% male. So there is more men, but not by much.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Seriously -- would you want your kid in school in Palmer while you're working in Anchorage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
That commute sucks whether it is winter or summer. Let's say an hour each way. No way would we commute that far with kids in school.

It's not ideal but it's also not the end of the world and it manages to work well for many of us families.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
That commute sucks whether it is winter or summer. Let's say an hour each way. No way would we commute that far with kids in school.
An hour is being really liberal and that's only if you live off Trunk or near that. If you live deep out in Palmer or Wasilla the commute can easily be and hour and 45 min or more if you have to deal with the aweful traffic in los Wasilla behind a string of lifted pick ups who have illegally removed their pollution controls and slam on the gas the second the light is green.

I would not want to drive through Wasilla or east anchorage with small kids unless I was in a front end loader, so that the lifted F750 super duty duely can slam into me and kill all the schmuks and I would just shrug and make a phone call and move along.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:50 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
It's not ideal but it's also not the end of the world and it manages to work well for many of us families.
Loosing a minimum of 2 hours every week day is not good time management and in reality you are loosing around 3 hours plus all the time spent getting more oil changes, car repairs etc. That's a big price to pay to get a little bigger yard and newer trim only to still have to live with meth heads and loosers.

I could not imagin pulling out on to the parks or KGB never knowing if I am going to get hit by some chod in a lifted F350 who likely does not have a valid licence and/or insurance, behind on his child support or what ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage