Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times

Advertisements

March 1st my daughter paid rent, March 2nd she got a text from the landlord that they had until April 16 to move out. They found a place within that 1st week (cant wait to the last day to look), informed landlord, long story short, landlord are not pro-rating rent or returning any of it back to them because they (landlord) said that my daughter didnt give them (landlord) a 30 day notice, but it was them that told my daughter they had to move & that they were also keeping their deposit for blinds in one room, carpet needed shampooing & door that need to be replaced..also partial rent for APRIL because they were given til the 16th to move out.

Does anyone know what their rights are in this situation? My daughter has photos of the house when they moved in & also kept the place clean, with 4 boys I understand the wear & tear from them living at the place & could understand the replacing of the blinds, the door & having someone come out to shampoo the rug, but why does the tenant have to give them 30 days when it was the landlord that asked them to move? & why do they have to be liable for partial rent for APRIL when they did not live there. I hope it makes sense.

Help?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:45 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,799 times
Assuming this is a month to month lease I would say the tenant must give 30 days notice if moving sooner than what the landlord is requiring. However you need to look at the rental agreement to see what the requirements are. Even though the landlord gave more than 30 days notice, the landlord may have violated the notice to vacate section of the lease. Unless the lease only requires 30 days notice and no other conditions be met, the landlord may have failed to properly give notice. The month to month lease I last signed required that notice had to be given 1 full month before the month I would be moving out. If that is the case in your situation then by waiting until Mar 2nd to give notice the landlord would have been required to let you stay until the end of Apr. If that is the case then you might have legal grounds to recover the partial rent and possibly other expenses you incurred due to having to move sooner than required.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:37 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,871,666 times
http://www.law.state.ak.us/departmen...rd-tenant.html

Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,121,354 times
Yep, I would sue them and make an example of them, make sure you go for every expense you can (keep track of your time and charge at a rate that you make at your day job, which for me would get steep quick) and see if the lawyer can go for punative damages because anchorage land lords seem to have a habit of being schmucks because they have been used to a boon of renters with very low vacancy. Land lords have a bad habit in anchorage of trying to make the moving process as painful as possible because they know they wont have to suffer any market effects because there will be someone else moving in after you in a few days.

I would take him to court and I would make it as expensive for him as possible, but thats who I am, I cant tolerate the evil around me, evil people will continue to behave this way unless you make it costly for them, the almighty dollar is all they understand.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 56,533 times
The landlord is a scam artist. Thank god she's moving out. Get an attorney.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM

459 posts, read 586,696 times
Has to be much more to the story than this .... landlords just do not terminate good tenants who pay their rents on time.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Has to be much more to the story than this .... landlords just do not terminate good tenants who pay their rents on time.
Yea they do, if they don't like you they will evict or not renew the lease, its still in land lords heads that they have low vacancy on their side but that is changing every month right now, but its still in their heads.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
BS, Pitts. Low vacancy rates doesn't translate to a desirable rental pool. Smart landlords hold onto good tenants because they're few and far between.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
BS, Pitts. Low vacancy rates doesn't translate to a desirable rental pool. Smart landlords hold onto good tenants because they're few and far between.
But if the land lord has it in their heads that they don't like you for what ever reason, despite that you pay on time or even in advance they will still move to evict (or let you know that your lease wont be renewed, this is usually the case because eviction is a legally sticky process). In my experience it is not uncommon for this to happen, especially if you hold your land lord accountable to repair issues that are not your fault, boiler goes out etc, then the blame game starts.

Sure if a land lord can just sit and collect money without having to do anything then its great but the true character of these land lords come out if/when there are issues.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
But if the land lord has it in their heads that they don't like you for what ever reason, despite that you pay on time or even in advance they will still move to evict (or let you know that your lease wont be renewed, this is usually the case because eviction is a legally sticky process). In my experience it is not uncommon for this to happen, especially if you hold your land lord accountable to repair issues that are not your fault, boiler goes out etc, then the blame game starts.

Sure if a land lord can just sit and collect money without having to do anything then its great but the true character of these land lords come out if/when there are issues.
I can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage