Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I have been offered a job from within my company and am relocating from San Diego to Anchorage in four weeks. I have never been to Anchorage and am seeking the most efficient and cheap ways to make the move.

I'm traveling with my husband, no children or pets, and we're willing to sell basically everything to relocate. We will probably also need to sell our Mazda2 as I've read it doesn't do well in extreme cold.

My job is near downtown and I'm planning on getting an apartment also in downtown.

Suggestions & tips for how to make the move?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:00 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,628,357 times
Cheapest way is to drive it. I-5 north to Bellingham. Cut over to Sumas. Then to Prince George and onto Dawson Creek. North to Whitehorse, onto Haines Junction then to Beaver Creek and then Tok. Then south to Anchorage. You'll need passports and clean criminal records. I've always done it with two drivers switching out and stopping for only gas. Best time from Portland to Anchorage was 2 1/2 days. Worse time was 5 days. If you are stopping at night figure at least a week.
If you don't want to drive, you can have your stuff shipped up and you fly.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
She's going to sell her car, so she should just fly. Her company should pick up the flight tab. If not, OP, get your tickets as soon as your dates are solidified; they tend to go up the closer it gets to your travel date.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,115,436 times
^I had assumed that the husband had a vehicle they were bringing. But you know what they say about making assumptions. ;-)

OP, do you have any sort of a relo package?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,827,248 times
You're probably right.

Idk, that drive is beautiful if you take the time, but driving straight through sounds hellish. I'd put the squeeze on the company for a decent moving allotment so they can enjoy the trip instead of nonstop driving, and if they can't cough up that, I'd put the husband on the road and get on a jet.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 7,825,128 times
Most efficient and cheapest would probably mean selling car and flying up.

However, if you're up for a long road trip the Mazda would be OK if you put winter tires on for the cold season. Anchorage doesn't see much extreme cold, BTW, though it will probably seem like it coming from San Diego.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,115,436 times
OP, I live outside of Fairbanks and I used to work with a guy whose only vehicle was a Mazda2. A vehicle like that would not work for me for a lot of reasons, but they certainly do for lots of other folks.

If you're going to have a front wheel drive car, I don't know why yours wouldn't work in Anchorage. If you think you'd be more comfortable with 4WD, then, yeah...

Old 07-07-2017, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
Thank you, all! This is really helpful information.

For clarification - my husband and I currently share one car, so our plan was to sell that. I have to fly up one month before he does (he needs to stay for work), so my plan was to purchase a car when I get there, and he would sell our Mazda2 before he flies up. If we had the time, I would love to make the drive! Because of the short timeframe, I don't think we will be able to.

Are you familiar with downtown Anchorage? Is downtown and around downtown an okay place to live, or do you have any suggestions/thoughts about that? My job is near Delaney Park Strip, and I'm hoping to get an apartment nearby.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 AM

21 posts, read 67,323 times
There is very little housing downtown and all of it is really expensive. The closest neighborhood is Fairview and you do not want to be there, avoid Mountain View and Government Hill as well. The people who want to be close to downtown live in Boot Leggers Cove, but it also a spendy area. Really nice trails and parks though.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,610,614 times
You might consider keeping the Mazda. It will be fine in Anchorage. You'll probably find you'll need a second vehicle up here as public transportation is primitive compared to where you're at now. A pickup is the primary mode of transportation for a lot of people. That and a SUV/CUV are what most people have, but there are cars up here. But if both of you work, you'll find it hard to only have one vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage