Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allniter89 View Post
birds of a feather?
LOL, I'll leave the dive bars in Anchorage to the self-proclaimed "alpha males."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:08 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

I should run for city assembly, I have been told by numerous people.
Sarcasm my friend. They are using sarcasm.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Anchorage elections thrive on a joke candidate. "if I had a Hammer".....

Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Run, Ron, run.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Selective high taxes are good, across the board high taxes are very very bad. The key thing taxes prevent is legacy property owners holding property that is not producing because they "will be damed if they will lease out space for less than X" so they sit on the property and make everyone suffer, becasue they own it outright they have no bank to worry about. But the real estate taxes can ware them down, just paying high 5 figures to hold a boarded up strip mall starts looking like a bad deal.

However, people actually engaged in economic activity should be given property tax breaks. If you actually have a store front and are doing SOMETHING you should get tax breaks. Past legacy obsturctionists should be put on lists and scrutinized with a microscope when they start trying to do penny anty stuff to stave off the taxes as well, they need to be lagitimate buisness enterprise not a slum lord trying to buy time.

Why should a hand full of slum lords be able to hold the entire city hostage?

We will stay as long as we can because we have SO MUCH family up here and friends but not to the point we go broke because of the incompetence of state/city govt.

I should run for city assembly, I have been told by numerous people.
You should. Seems like you've spent time thinking about the issues, examining the tax structure. I'd say out of all the long time locals in Anchorage I've met on City-Data, you seem to know the MOST of what's happening around the area.

I'll send a donation if you ever get your campaign running.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Anchorage elections thrive on a joke candidate. "if I had a Hammer".....

Anyone remember Theresa Obermeyer? Now she was entertaining.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times
Yes, How many times did her hubby fail the bar? I lost count after a while.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Yes, How many times did her hubby fail the bar? I lost count after a while.

I think he was up to twenty something tries before Theresa dropped out of the public eye.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Back to the original subject, there has been a series of recent articles in the ADN about revitalizing downtown Anchorage. Here's the latest:

https://www.adn.com/opinions/2018/03...own-anchorage/

Old 03-07-2018, 01:18 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Back to the original subject, there has been a series of recent articles in the ADN about revitalizing downtown Anchorage. Here's the latest:

https://www.adn.com/opinions/2018/03...own-anchorage/
Downtown Anchorage is a libritrians paradise, where urban planning and some degree of forced eminite domainish building is fought against. Private buisness wants to put the least amount in and get the most amount out for their share holders. No private company is going to put in billions of dollars to create a down town space while preserving ceritan historic land marks, etc.

Anchorage is what happens when you have just a hodge podge of private development. Also if you are not a legacy land holder the lease/rental rates and the sales prices for land are completely out of control. The courts in Alaska vehminitly protect buisness interests. I am pretty sure the downtown partnership owns all the judges so that anythign the assembly passes will just be swatted down by the courts.

I have not been downtown in years, its a complete s*it hole. If a downtown partnership member is not getting their wheels greased then they will shut it down, its that simple.

I am fairly ceritan that cities that have nice down towns have to excersize at least some degree of govt strong arming against buisenss interests. Buisness interests dont care about a wall of concrete that butts up to the side walk so long as their little LLC or corporation is making money. Till it isent, then they will cry to city govt to flip the bill but they still want to keep all their rights and not have to pay for it (becuase that would upset the share holders).

Downtown anchorage is a prime example of privatized gains and socialized losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage