Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!!

I hope some people can answer some of my questions about my move come next spring. I am a single 37 year old woman and I am making the move there with my two cats that I adore. I have a degree in social work and my hope is to be able to get a job quickly. I will be driving up there and it will take about 4 days. I am leaving from Chattanooga TN. I will be leaving everything here in Chattanooga when it comes to furniture and just buying things new there. I grew up in Rochester NY so I am used to the snow. I actually prefer the cold to the heat due to the heat making me moody and sluggish. So I hope that is enough information from me. Now to the questions:

1. Is April a good time to drive up? or should I wait until May?
2. How are jobs there in Social Work? I am hoping to be able to start looking for one come March.
3. I am hoping to find a decent place there around $800.00 a month is that a good price point? I’m going to have about 10,000 for the move and hopefully a couple months of rent.
4. How is the drive though Canada? I was going to take a ferry but called and it’s going to cost $5,000 to travel that way.
5. How are the people there? I’m very shy at first and I have a bit of social anxiety but I really want to get to know people.

Anyways thanks for the help in advance ��

Last edited by nfuehrer; 07-13-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,113,615 times
We have an IKEA??

Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times
Default Guess not...

I guess not... well that sucks, I’ll have to get furniture else where. My brother told me you did and I didn’t bother to double check lol.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,607,214 times
Beginning of April is an excellent time to drive up. It's warm enough and construction season hasn't started yet. $800 a month might get you a dump in the worst part of town, but that's about it. Double that amount and you might should be able to find something livable in a part of town where you don't have to fear for your safety.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,192,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Beginning of April is an excellent time to drive up. It's warm enough and construction season hasn't started yet. $800 a month might get you a dump in the worst part of town, but that's about it. Double that amount and you might should be able to find something livable in a part of town where you don't have to fear for your safety.

And with 2 cats, good luck!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,177,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfuehrer View Post
Hello guys!!

I hope some people can answer some of my questions about my move come next spring. I am a single 37 year old woman and I am making the move there with my two cats that I adore. I have a degree in social work and my hope is to be able to get a job quickly. I will be driving up there and it will take about 4 days. I am leaving from Chattanooga TN. I will be leaving everything here in Chattanooga when it comes to furniture and just buying things new there. I grew up in Rochester NY so I am used to the snow. I actually prefer the cold to the heat due to the heat making me moody and sluggish. So I hope that is enough information from me. Now to the questions:

1. Is April a good time to drive up? or should I wait until May?
2. How are jobs there in Social Work? I am hoping to be able to start looking for one come March.
3. I am hoping to find a decent place there around $800.00 a month is that a good price point? I’m going to have about 10,000 for the move and hopefully a couple months of rent.
4. How is the drive though Canada? I was going to take a ferry but called and it’s going to cost $5,000 to travel that way.
5. How are the people there? I’m very shy at first and I have a bit of social anxiety but I really want to get to know people.

Anyways thanks for the help in advance ��
4 days from Chattanooga with two cats in the spring? Lol

Old 07-13-2018, 11:43 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,316,042 times
On my latest drive I just made it in four days from Arizona back in April, which is my favorite month to drive. I am a professional though and there was two drivers . I'd plan on a good 6+ days from Tennessee for a first time drive alone. The highway was the best I've ever seen this last go around. Even the infamous destruction bay frost heaves seemed non existent.

There is a company in anchorage who will get your Ikea furniture and more for you shipped up from America by actually shopping in the store. I have never used them nor am I affiliated with them. Just thought their business idea was cool.
https://www.adn.com/business-economy...tType=amp-type

https://www.shopndeliverbylulu.com

You should seriously consider leaving the cats down in America. It will make an already crazy rental market that much easier to deal with. Rents are big $$$ here for anything decent and cats can hold you back from getting what otherwise would be a good place. Just saying.

$10k is a pretty decent cushion if you're smart. I've moved successfuly with much less before. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,113,615 times
Right... I drove from the Southern Sierras to Fairbanks in 4-1/2 days only stopping to sleep in the back of my truck and fuel-up. I don't think that's reasonable from Chattanooga with two cats, especially if you sleep in hotel rooms and eat anything besides salami and cheese from the driver's seat.

Oh, I lost time when I stopped to work on my truck in Eureka, but that's it.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,809,638 times
You're going to need a hail cover for your car to keep it from getting ruined. You can use a pair of scissors to cut out spaces around the windows so you can see out. Maybe fold some cardboard boxes and place them inside the cover for added protection.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:30 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,177,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You're going to need a hail cover for your car to keep it from getting ruined. You can use a pair of scissors to cut out spaces around the windows so you can see out. Maybe fold some cardboard boxes and place them inside the cover for added protection.
Lol!! Yes!! Learn from previous threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage