Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times

Advertisements

I like Fairbanks better than I do Anchorage, as a city to live and work in, but personally I wouldn't consider it much of a vacation destination...other places have more bang for your buck if your time is limited. The exception would be for aurora viewing, which won't be possible until at least September due to the midnight sun.

I second the recommendation of Seward. Fun town, nice scenery, good chance of seeing critters. Seward is also a good departure point for day cruising to see marine wildlife and glaciers. If you have time you might as well hit Homer too while you're down on the Kenai.

If you want to see bears, your best chance is Denali NP this time of year IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:41 PM

37 posts, read 34,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
If you are referring to the northern lights, no, there will still be too much daylight in July to see them.
I see so a visit to Fairbanks in July won't help? Katmai is amazing, but unfortunately the tickets are super expensive (anchorage to Katmai)....

Old 06-24-2019, 07:14 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,300,562 times
I just returned this morning to Colorado after a week in AK, flying in and out of Anchorage.

It was a nice trip. Weather was surprisingly warm (upper 60s/70s). Even wore shorts a couple of days. In Anchorage, I rented a bike (Pablos), and did the 22 mile, conveniently located, coastal trail. Saw a large moose and calf right at the side of the trail around mile marker 7 or 8. Anchorage itself doesn't have a lot to offer (did enjoy the reindeer hot dog street food), but there's plenty in the surrounding areas if you like recreation (Denali, Girdwood, Seward, day cruise on Pr William Sound, etc.)

And it's daylight almost 24/7 now. That being said, perplexes me why the hotels don't have better drapes to block the light out :-)

Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paumona View Post
I see so a visit to Fairbanks in July won't help? Katmai is amazing, but unfortunately the tickets are super expensive (anchorage to Katmai)....
I don't think the sun even sets in July in Fairbanks. If so, not far enough to get dark.

I lived in Anchorage for 3 years, had (have) a pilot's license so got around a little but not nearly enough. I was up there again in the early '80s and visited Katmai for some fishing. Whooooweeeee! We had a little cabin and had brown bears on our front porch! Bears forced us to cut our fishing lines many times as they'd wander up and down the coastline looking for fish. They're thick this time of the year!

We walked up to the falls one day and met a brownie on the trail. The trees were so thick there that we couldn't get more than a foot off the trail. Could have reached out and touched the big ol' bear as he passed if we were just a little bit dumber. That same day a photographer from National Geographic was at the falls taking bear photos when a bear came out of the woods behind him, knocked him and his camera/tripod over and didn't even slow down on his way to the water. It's an amazing place to visit if you've got the time, but I doubt you could rent a cabin this late into the summer.

I returned in '96 for a little break after my late wife passed. I really thought about moving back at that time but didn't find a job that would warrant it.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
If you want to see bears look into going to Homer and taking a flight seeing tour across the inlet. We went with Ultimate Safari a few years ago, which uses a helicopter and can go where planes can't. We saw lots of bears.

Last edited by Northrick; 06-24-2019 at 11:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Fairbanks is not much to see. Don't get me wrong, it is Alaska's 2nd city, or 3rd depending on your viewpoint, but it isn't worth the trip really. Although midnight baseball is pretty cool!

Denali is a must. Also take the Seward Highway southeast from Anchorage. Pretty darn beautiful.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Hope the OP didn't decide to drive south to the KP. Smoke from the Swan Lake fire is choking us! Visibility along the Sterling Hwy has been very bad apparently. It isn't supposed to get much better for the weekend. Great. Tinder dry conditions just in time for the 4th...

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2019 at 01:27 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hope the OP didn't decide to drive south to the KP. Smoke from the Swan Lake fire is choking us! Visibility along the Sterling Hwy has been very bad apparently. It isn't supposed to get much better for the weekend. Great. Tinder dry conditions just in time for the 4th...

I believe the OP was able to extend the tickets and did not come up this week. The effects of that fire are being felt all over. It smells like a camp fire here in Anchorage right now and the sun is just this orange orb in the sky from all the smoke. You couldn't pay me enough to try and drive to Kenai right now.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Did not know of the smoke problems as Alaska news is rarely shared with the lower 48. We here in the Pacific Northwest are certainly used to these conditions as well. Best of luck!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:39 PM

37 posts, read 34,361 times
Thanks! OMG, I've just heard about the smoke problem! I got my nonrefundable ticket with very good AIRBNB...

I am heading to Alaska on Saturday, July 20th will arrive there around 10 pm so the day does not count.

Will have full 4 days (Sunday 7/21 -Wednesday 7-24). Will leave on Thursday. July 25th around noon.

Do you my trip is going to be after three weeks from now. Do you think everything is going to be OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage