Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,473 times

Advertisements

I begin the drive to Anchorage from Tucson, Arizona in 3 weeks. (August 2nd). I understand the drive for the most part, although I'm sure it's going to test my ability to be flexible. I'll be driving alone, and plan on spending little to zero time in a hotel. (hoping to find a rest stop to crash when I get tired occasionally). I know this isn't the best way to experience the drive, but my company is moving me there and time is sort of an issue.

My main concern right now would be the Canada/U.S. border. I've scoured these pages, and read both the Canadian and United States border crosses procedures, but I'd rather hear from folks who are doing the crossing.

I don't have anything serious on my criminal record (at least I would hope not... survived Dept of Def. security clearance check and multiple job background checks)

I do not have a passport. I have my original birth certificate, driver's license, military ID (the green one, not the white), and insurance cards. I won't have any animals, nor anything of any significance. I'll just be driving a 2008 Kia with a few bags in the back.

Does anyone foresee any possible border problems for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
We recently crossed the border twice over the last weekend in June. I had a passport and my wife had a drivers license and birth certificate. We had absolutely no problems crossing. As long as you can answer no to most all questions, you should do OK. The main questions cover food, tobacco, alcohol, firearms, fireworks and convictions. They didn't ask to see proof of insurance or the car registration, but keep them handy.

The two main things that might hold you up are carrying firearms and having a DUI conviction show up in your background, so even some minor conviction showing up can stop you at the border. Also don't joke about anything when you answer.

One other thing to remember is that you'll need a passport next year to cross the border. I believe this is a US Customs requirement.

There will be plenty of pull-outs and rest areas for when you get tired. We saw cars and RVs parked in many and we pulled off in one for the night. If you do decide to stay in a motel overnight and have an idea where you'll stop, I recommend making reservations and calling ahead the night before or early in the morning. When we went through Tok, it looked like most places had no vacancies. Oh, and if you're looking for a place to eat in Tok, I recommend Fast Eddie's.

The only other thing to be aware of, is the Glenn Hwy between milepost 92 to 97 is closed for construction from midnight and 6:00 am. Delays of 30-45 minutes occur during the rest of the day. There were also delays just past the border into Alaska, but the delays were no longer than 5-10 minutes. On the Canadian side, they are working at Destruction Bay. We happened to hit it during lunch one way and on a non-work day the other way, so I don't know if there are delays there. There are gravel sections on the road and you can get rock chips on your windshield. The best way to avoid them is to not meet anyone on gravel sections. Before you do meet another vehicle, slow down and pull over as far to the right as you can. This should minimize rock hits.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
Have you decided on a route yet? Google maps want you to head straight north up through Calgary and Edmonton. I like this route, I've done the Alcan 13 times.

from:Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States to:US-30 @44.025020, -116.935600 to:48.458352,-119.487305 to:Anchorage, AK - Google Maps

Here are a few of my Alaska Highway albums.

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's 2007 Alcan trip

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Return Trip Alcan 2007

Bethel Alaska Photo Gallery - Joe Joe's Alcan Trip 2006

Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,473 times
Excellent. Thanks for the response. Sorry to ask something that appears to have been beaten to death on this forum, but I didn't see anything similar to my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Have you decided on a route yet? Google maps want you to head straight north up through Calgary and Edmonton. I like this route, I've done the Alcan 13 times.

from:Tucson, Pima, Arizona, United States to:US-30 @44.025020, -116.935600 to:48.458352,-119.487305 to:Anchorage, AK - Google Maps
Interesting route. I was planning on taking the Google maps suggested route, as it appeared to be the most hassle free. Any reason why you suggest that route? I'm not really trying to do much touristy things, just get up there as fast as possible. Does that route have less foreseeable hassle?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
It bypasses the to larger cities in Alberta, Calgary and Edmonton. They are both big cities with almost a million people in Calgary and a million plus in Edmonton. Traffic is bad in both places. The scenery is great on this route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage