Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,445,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Here's another side of it from someone who after 45 years moved away from Anchorage all the way to the lower 48 four years ago. I left because the crime has gotten so bad there and it's getting worse--a lot of gang and gang-wanna-be activity. You will see a lot of homeless people but they don't usually bother anyone. After the gangs, it's the teens who seem to bring the most trouble. There's little for them to do so a lot of them are in trouble, things like rolling homeless people, robbing homes, etc. Anchorage is also a dust bowl. Every time I return for a visit I get bronchitis or something respiratory. The bus service up there is lousy and there's not a lot to do unless you're the outdoorsy type, then it's camping, skiing, hiking, snowmachining, etc. There's not much to do but go to restaurants, movies and bars. There's little to no cultural things, believe it or not. There's a high rate of alcoholism, drug abuse, child abuse, rape and domestic violence there. If you plan on having kids, it's no longer a great place to raise them. And it's so far from everything, you're so isolated due to distance and the high cost of transportation. I'd seriously consider visiting for a few months before leaping in. Alaska is a beautiful state but living there is another story, I'm sorry to say. I did my time, now I'm out.

One last thought. I was once told by someone who was disappointed with Alaska--Anchorage in particular--that they found the quality of living lower up there. My husband and I were a little offended by that and didn't know what to think of it til we lived in Washington state for a time. Then we finally understood what they meant.

Hi, I'm curious what you found with the "quality of living lower" in Anchorage opposed to Washington or other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,369 times
I can understand why some people would say the quality of living is lower in Alaska than in some other states. However, it's all relative. Someone who enjoys the amenties a large city has to offer will find the quality of life to be lower in Alaska, while at the same time someone who enjoys less laws and regulations, scenery and camping without having to go to a national park will find the quality of life in Alaska higher. It really depends on what the poster prefers.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,445,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I can understand why some people would say the quality of living is lower in Alaska than in some other states. However, it's all relative. Someone who enjoys the amenties a large city has to offer will find the quality of life to be lower in Alaska, while at the same time someone who enjoys less laws and regulations, scenery and camping without having to go to a national park will find the quality of life in Alaska higher. It really depends on what the poster prefers.
I really wouldn't consider those differences to be a "lower quality of life." IMO those are one's preferences. I would say employment prospects, crime rates, available medical care, and affordable, decent housing are what enters into the quality of life. Anchorage does offer all that I mentioned so is why I was curious at what the poster wrote.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:45 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
I am African American currently living in Chicago. I am tired of the superficial materialist fake people here. I just want to go to work and go home with no drama. I like cold weather--How is racism and sexism in Anchorage? Is it difficult for a single Black woman? I am also concerned about the crime rate.
lllisa, I note two general responses to your question. One group says Anchorage is just the place for you. The other group says Anchorage, (like any city) is what you make of it. Overall, I'd have to agree with the latter group, although I think their is some validity in the former position too.

As an African American who has visited all fifty states, and has lived in approximately fifteen of them, I will say that I have never lived anywhere that I can say that I just didn't like. There were certainly aspects of some places that I like more than others, but overall I enjoyed all of them. I'd even go as far as to say I never found the people that much different from place to place. Sure, in some regions, the pace is faster (or slower), or people were generally more friendly than others (i.e. the east coast verses the pacific northwest), but those are generalizations at best. Everywhere I lived, there have been a wide range of personalities.

I spent some time in the DC area prior to coming to Alaska and while the two places are vastly different, I had no problem being myself in either place. I say all that to say, given the criteria you describe, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It sounds like you have had a bad experience with a subset of people in Chicago, and you think that Alaska will solve those problems. It won't. Just as those bad experiences aren't indicative of everyone in Chicago, neither are good experiences indicative of everyone in Alaska. I generally find that if you mind your own business, you can be whoever you are, wherever you are. Is there racism in Alaska? YES! But I also would have to say, show me a place in America where it doesn't exist. Its generally not overt, nor predominate. With the exception of a few, most people judge you based on who you are, not whay you look like.

Now, there are definitely reasons to consider relocating to Alaska. The weather is milder than Chicago (less hot and humid in the summer and less cold and windy in the winter), it is less congested (although you can have most of the amenities of a relatively large city here - just on a smaller scale), there are lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation. If you can get past the darkeness (it is a problem for many people), then the extremes of daylight and darkness can be enjoyable. Crime is probably nowhere near what it is in most major cities in the lower 48, Chicago included. I remember visiting Atlanta a few years ago and waking up to news of murders literally EVERY morning, whereas a murder is still front page news in Anchorage (we have maybe 20 per year). It is expensive, but not overly expensive. Anchorage is very diverse (in terms of ethnicity) and in general, people are pretty friendly. They actually smile and speak when they pass you on the street, and are courteous in traffic.

Given the way you describe youself, I think you could like Anchorage (and Alaska) - as long as you come with an open mind and are willing to accept people for who they are - even if they might be a little different from yourself. Who knows, if you give it a chance, you might even find that you can even enjoy other people's company.

I'd agree with the person who said you should visit before you make a final decision.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,369 times
The quality of life revolves around one's own preference. Some people love the beach, while others love the mountains. Bary who lives in a small apartment in NYC may consider himself to have a higher quality of life than Mary who lives in a large house in Montana, while Mary could think the same thing about Bary. I forgot the poster's name, but she just needs to make sure she knows what she wants in her lifestyle and that will tell whether her life will be better or worse in Alaska.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,014,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
[/color][/b]

Hi, I'm curious what you found with the "quality of living lower" in Anchorage opposed to Washington or other states.
Sure. They have few places for pedestrians to walk, even in the winter. You often have to walk through knee deep snow or walk on the side of the road and hope you don't get run over. If you don't own a car, it's the bus service or smelly cabs and the bus service is very poor. Cultural events are few and far between. The performing arts, which are so vast down here, are good up there when they do have them but are scarce and limited in variety. The public outcry over the racism towards Alaska Natives is noticeably lacking and disgraceful. It's one of the highest rated for alcohol and drug abuse, child abuse of every kind, domestic violence, and gang violence per capita, the police do little about crime, everything from shoddy investigative work to blaming the victim.

The people aren't as kind and welcoming as they used to be. Not by a long shot. One example, my daughter's electricity and phone went out in the middle of winter one year so she went across the street to a Samoan church to ask if she could use the phone to call someone for help as she had no car. Someone in the church chased her off saying she didn't belong there. That's just one example of many similar incidents I've witnessed.

I could go on but look, I grew up there, it's a beautiful place (outside Anchorage) it was my home for 45+ years, places change, people change, I realize that. I just couldn't live with seeing it go the direction it has over the past ten years or so. It got to where I felt like I was just existing there. I feel alive down here.

Maybe I just feel a false sense of security down here, I don't know. But that's the whole point to me, to feel secure. You can say we are up there but if you don't feel it, you're really not. Perception is reality.

It makes me sad to feel this way. It makes me sadder that I don't think of it as home anymore, but I just don't.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,853,519 times
Winter is here. I don't care what color you are...it's awesome.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
Anchorage has 8.7% Black Population. Most of them live in the Muldoon, Airport Hieghts, Diamond, Fairview , Mountain View, and Spenard areas. Most of the rich ones live in the Areas just south of Diamond and Hillside areas of Eagle River. As far as racism goes, its very very nil. Most Alaskans are very real and down to earth, however there are some very ignorant classes here its very small. You would like Anchorage. And a FYI. Im a blackneck hick

Old 05-06-2012, 09:38 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,014,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticon View Post
Anchorage has 8.7% Black Population. Most of them live in the Muldoon, Airport Hieghts, Diamond, Fairview , Mountain View, and Spenard areas. Most of the rich ones live in the Areas just south of Diamond and Hillside areas of Eagle River. As far as racism goes, its very very nil. Most Alaskans are very real and down to earth, however there are some very ignorant classes here its very small. You would like Anchorage. And a FYI. Im a blackneck hick
Racism and stereotyping against the Alaska Natives is very high. In their own land. Go figure.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
I want to avoid all beggars, bums, homeless people and crime. I don't want any drama with racist people either. I'm a loner and just want to go to work and live at home in peace with no drama. I feel Alaska would be the perfect place for an educated loner like myself. I was thinking about packing up my jeep buying a dog and settling down in Anchorage. I am a tad concerned about the high cost of living--but I like that the town is not over populated. I'm quiet and shy don't have much to say. If people want to be RED that's fine with me. I just want to be left alone.
Lots of homeless people here, and it is indeed overpopulated.

Sadly the crime rate in Anchorage is something to consider. It's just not a nice place.

Alaska in general used to have a live and let live kind of mentality but I don't think you find that in Anchorage anymore. I don't think Alaska in general is too racist except towards Alaska Natives, which is ironic/pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage