Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 AM

16 posts, read 51,082 times

Advertisements

After a 3 long flights made it safe and sound. This place is goregous, cold and the people are friendly. Can't wait to get out and explore the beauty of this state! So excited and thankful to be here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Welcome to Alaska!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Get out there! Are you renting a car? Make the drive south along Turnagain Arm. Swing into Girdwood (30 miles or so) and take the tram ride up the mountain from the Princess Lodge. Then (if the weather is nice) continue south to Portage and swing into see Portage Glacier on your left. Go through the short tunnel and see it from behind Portage Lake. Heck...drive all the way to Seward! You won't be sorry. This can all be done in one day. Drive carefull and bring a camera!
And don't be shy about taking a drive north toward Wasilla/Palmer. Pioneer Peak makes for a great backdrop up in the valley. Welcome and I hope your trip here is a memorable one.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:00 AM

We will be here for at least 3 yrs so after we get settled we will do what you said Rance. Thanks. We rented a truck but our truck got here the day before we did so we picked up our truck yesterday and returned the rental. Trying to get housing and schools for the kids squared away and then we can get out and explore! I'm so thankful! Love it!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM

88 posts, read 207,399 times
Glad you made it safely! My husband is also AF & in 36 days we'll be up there on Elmendorf too! Except we are taking the ferry from Bellingham, WA, to Juneau & then from Juneau to Whittier. Unfortunately, we won't be hauling the mini horses as planned (we'll get 'em next Spring!) but the 2 dogs & 3 youngest kids are coming with us! The packers are loading the moving van as I type!
We're SO excited...can't wait til we can say "We're Here!" as well!
Have a wonderful, blessed, Merry Christmas! ALL of ya!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Oh wow...the ferry sounds like so much fun! We are loving it so far. Maybe we can meet up after you get here! GL with the movers...ours sucked. Can't wait to see our stuff.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM

88 posts, read 207,399 times
Default Cool beans!

I'd love to get to talk to an ADULT for a change! Hope I remember how? I'd also really prefer to be riding the ferry in the summer, but hey, beggers can't be chosers, right? I'll be the sights are gonna be FABULOUS!
Keep in touch & again, congrats on making it there safely!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
There was a couple two years ago moving up from Texas for the Airforce I met after they had an accident on the Alcan, I gave them my email addresses and never heard from them. I've often wondered how they are doing. As for the ferry from southeast to Whittier, hopefully the seas won't be so rough, we've been getting low pressure systems one right after the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage