Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 29,287 times

Advertisements

I'm a traveling nurse and I have an opportunity to work in Anchorage from Jan-March. I have a few questions as I haven't lived anywhere "cold" before.

1) Obviously you should dress reasonably for 10 degree weather. Is there anything special I should take into consideration? ex. Wind chill making 10 feel like -10 (like it does in NY sometimes).The coldest I've really lived was 3 months in Fredericksburg, VA from Feb-April. Any recommendations on who makes the best jacket and where I get get it from? REI?

2) How expensive is food? Veggies from grocery store, beef, chicken etc. I've heard rumors that living expenses in this aspect are rather high.

3) Does inclement weather really mess up plane travel at the end of Jan. I looked at weather underground and noticed it does not really snow at the end of Jan. I have a wedding I need to attend in which I'm a bridesmaid.

4) If I end up taking the assignment I may look for someone looking to rent a furnished room. Any suggestions besides Craigslist to find housing opportunities?

Thanks everyone for your help! I've got to be honest, I've wanted to work here ever since I took the Alaskan cruise a few years ago. Went at the end of December, begining of Jan and remember hiking and getting so warm that we ended up in just long sleeved t-shirt and jeans. It's absolutely beauftiful here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,371,508 times
Princess Anne of Monaco would be qualified to help answer your questions regarding technical Alaska issues.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,910,786 times
If your staying in Anchorage you won't need any special mountain gear for clothing.

There are some older threads here pertaining to food prices. In Anchorage you can shop around and get deals. Freddies, Costco, Carr's, Safeway...they all have something on sale at any given time.

Rarely is the Anchorage Airport closed due to weather.

You might try Alaska News, Jobs and Advertising from the Anchorage Daily News | Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, Kenai Peninsula to find housing if Craigslist doesn't have anything.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,731,000 times
Nurses make enough money that you shouldn't have any problem affording the occasional caribou steak and moose roast. Craigslist seems have the most listing but you should also check out the Anchorage Daily News. Just be careful of the rental scams that are on Craigslist.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,371,524 times
Let us know if you take the assignment! I'm working here (permanently) and I've met a lot of travelers........what a great bunch of people Can't say enough about them - and you would have a lot of "peer" support from them while you're here, for sure.

Everything is more expensive, but you'll get savvy quickly where to shop to get what you need. Actually, I can get a killer salad in the hospital's cafeteria for only a few bucks .

Clothing wise, you might just want to get a typical winter coat, gloves, hat, etc ......then shop for more specific stuff up here. Once you come up you might want to ski, snowshoe, hike, etc. and you'll get lots of advice what to get from folks involved in those activities. I haven't had a shift go by that we haven't had deep 3am discussions on snowshoeing and local hiking paths, etc. One gal I work with snowshoes home each morning. (Way, way more dedicated than I am )

PM me if you have any other questions!
Dawn

Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 AM

Thanks! I took the assignment. I fly up there Jan 1st. PM you? I'm really really new to this forum thing. So I'm afraid I don't know what that means.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Nurses make enough money that you shouldn't have any problem affording the occasional caribou steak and moose roast. Craigslist seems have the most listing but you should also check out the Anchorage Daily News. Just be careful of the rental scams that are on Craigslist.
Man, I wish I made as much money as everyone thought I did. Well, I would probably make more if I wasn't flying back to Texas at the end of Jan for a friends wedding. Caribou steak? I guess I'll have to try that out. Or are you joshing me and that isn't something to actually try? I'm what you would call gullible. Then again, I believe in trying almost all foods atleast once. Or else how do you know if you'll like it or not? Wow. I didn't know that there were rental scams on Craigslist. I'm renting a room from this couple that used to run the house like a B&B. Seeing as I've already sent them a check and talked to them I hope they're honest.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,910,786 times
PM...or DM = Private or direct message. Click on a persons name, chose send direct message, then type a message and send it!

And yes...there really is Caribou steak! Nummy!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,371,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheung916 View Post
Thanks! I took the assignment. I fly up there Jan 1st. PM you? I'm really really new to this forum thing. So I'm afraid I don't know what that means.
I Private-messaged you - look in your upper right corner for the alert that you can click on .
Dawn

Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,766 times
Default more travel nursing

Yeah, I'm BRAND new to the forum and this stuff, We are considering travel assignment to anchorage, too. Cracks me up that the hospital has " Moose Alerts" ! I can;t wait, and hope this works out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheung916 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage