Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,592 times

Advertisements

two years ago it was easy to get in and out of Canada with credible story and drivers card. birth certificate is required however. airlines only require drivers card for Alaska. united states citizen. It takes 14 days to get passport. might as well get one. have enough time. Mr Bob has two, passport book and passport card. go to Local tax collector and hand in application. no long lines. yes indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM

8 posts, read 21,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
The problem is they know it's up north...we need to keep telling them it's a small island off the coast of Texas, just like it shows on the news.
This cracked me up! A month or so ago I won a $100 off a guy I work with over this very topic. He overheard me planning out our overnight stops in Canada to help move one of my family members to Anchorage this spring. Then he piped in with "So much for women being the smarter sex. You can't DRIVE to Alaska!" I asked him why he thought it impossible and he told me it was because Alaska was an island over by Hawaii. When asked how sure he was of that fact he offered up the bet, which I took in a heartbeat, then ran to grab a newspaper off his desk to prove his claim. He flipped it open to the weather section and pointed out to me that Alaska was IN FACT an island. The look on his face was priceless when I pulled up a map online to show him the true location.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSage View Post
This cracked me up! A month or so ago I won a $100 off a guy I work with over this very topic. He overheard me planning out our overnight stops in Canada to help move one of my family members to Anchorage this spring. Then he piped in with "So much for women being the smarter sex. You can't DRIVE to Alaska!" I asked him why he thought it impossible and he told me it was because Alaska was an island over by Hawaii. When asked how sure he was of that fact he offered up the bet, which I took in a heartbeat, then ran to grab a newspaper off his desk to prove his claim. He flipped it open to the weather section and pointed out to me that Alaska was IN FACT an island. The look on his face was priceless when I pulled up a map online to show him the true location.
Where you moving up from? I love the Alcan! Done it 13 times now.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:05 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Yes the word is 'secede. Tell me how can people not know where a state is in their own country.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 21,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Where you moving up from? I love the Alcan! Done it 13 times now.

My cousin and his wife are moving up from Las Vegas. He was born and raised in Anchorage, but his wife has never even been up for a visit. Should be interesting. ha!

I've never lived in AK but spent every summer on Deep Creek for nearly 30 years with my Grandparents, plus my family had a couple of lots in Poachers Cove for years. We'd usually fly up each year, but there were times we'd drive if we were adding to our "toy" collection...a new RV or boat. I too loved the drive, though most of my friends and family thought I was out of my mind, guess some people just don't get it.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Tell me how can people not know where a state is in their own country.
Public education.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
People who think I'm crazy for loving that drive have never drove it for themselves! They need to take a drive up for themselves and see what it is all about. I drove my parents down and back last summer, it was their first time, they loved. They can't wait until spring when we drive down again.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Yes the word is 'secede. Tell me how can people not know where a state is in their own country.
I remember newspaper stories where student tests were marked wrong because they drew Alaska in the correct location and not off the coast of Mexico.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM

262 posts, read 567,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
We are a different country, better bring your passport from the states to get in.
HA!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:32 PM

402 posts, read 1,266,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleSage View Post
I know there are some stupid people in the world, especially in this country, but it has to take effort to be that ignorant and uneducated. We need to let darwinism come back to the human race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage