Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 PM

167 posts, read 422,601 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide what clothes to pack for our visit this week. Temperatures don't look that different from us in upstate NY but I don't know if I should pack a few dresses or if I can be more casual with jeans, nice t's, my ll bean jacket and only one dress for a dinner out. Casual is definitely my preference. We will be running around town a lot getting the lay of the land. I'm not excited MUCH !!!! It's been 5 years since I was in Anchorage and then only for 5 days. I guess there is love at first sight. My husband has been up every summer for two weeks on fishing trips with the guys. When I told him I would love to move to Alaska when we retired it was like a parent telling their kid, "Your father and I just bought a toy store with a candy shop attached you OK with that?" Within 5 minutes he was calling every male friend he could think of he was so excited. We have spent the last year getting all our ducks in a row (quack) and the last Big Hurtle is to get our house sold. OK, I should stop rambling and get things ready for the trip. In AK in 2 days!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM

140 posts, read 470,935 times
Wow! Sounds like you're excited! Enjoy your trip!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Should be upper 30's and lower 40's during the days, upper 20's at night for the next five days.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 PM

119 posts, read 387,596 times
Alaska Casual: jeans and a t-shirt.
Alaska Formal: clean jeans and t-shirt.
No need for dresses! Enjoy the trip up!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Talking All Packed!

OMG!! We are all packed. I am never going to get to sleep tonight! All these months of planning are finally coming to fruition. I think I will make a little burnt offering to the goddess of Mount Redoubt so that she behaves. Of course there are the weather Gods to attend to also. So far it all looks good. I know I am forgetting something Oh well, there is very little I can't live without for 8 days. I'll check in when I can. Thanks all for the packing advice. Going to try and sleep. Good night.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,365,059 times
JD2AK - Enjoy your trip and update us when you can!!
Dawn

Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Default We made It!

No delays, not a bad trip at all, just along time on the plane. We are sooo tired it's almost 3AM back east. I just can't sleep on planes. Will post when I can. Can't wait to get out and about tomorrow. The mountains are as amazing as I remenber them to be.
Night all

Old 04-12-2009, 12:18 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
No delays, not a bad trip at all, just along time on the plane. We are sooo tired it's almost 3AM back east. I just can't sleep on planes. Will post when I can. Can't wait to get out and about tomorrow. The mountains are as amazing as I remenber them to be.
Night all

Glad you made it...here's to hoping you have a good rest of the trip....

Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 PM

Default Magical Mountains

I just can't stop looking at the mountains, they are almost magical. The consant play of light and shadow, blowing snow and clouds, changing, changing never the same. Sigh! We are having a really good time, Easter dinner with our family up here, A brunch with Tammy Gills, the agent that helped us find our condo, trips to the condo for measuring rooms and trying to visualize what kind of furniture to get. We poked through furniture stores (sticker shock!) and stoped to look at some furniture being sold by someone moving out of state (much more in our price range). Walked trough Coscos (prices very similar to our BJ's back east) and went into the grocery stores and found out that on most things the prices were very comperable to upstate NY and opened a checking account . We then picked up a Giant sub to split for dinner and came back and crashed at the hotel. We are staying at the Voyager in town and it is great! Nice big rooms with a kitchenet, friendly staff, clean, quiet and they had a deal where if you brought in 5 cans of food to donate to the food pantry the rooms were $80 per night ($89 with tax) The only thing a little inconvienent is the parking. Would definately recommend This hotel. I am on their computer at the moment as I do not have a laptop with me. Well bed time for me, I'm still on east coast time. Nite

Old 04-14-2009, 12:00 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Glad you are having a good time, and the weather is 'decent' to boot!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: