Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM

45 posts, read 128,013 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'm an RN currently living and working in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I'm considering taking a 13 week travel nurse assignment at Alaska Psychiatric Institute. I was wondering if there were any other nurses on these forums that have worked there or are currently working there. Also if anyone has any general information on the Anchorage area compared to Pittsburgh I'd greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
JamesBlonde - I am a nurse, and am in the process of moving up there. I will be working in the public health department. There is a lot of people on here with a ton of information and pointers. One thing I can tell you is that everyone says that once you go there, you won't want to leave! Here are a few web sites that the nurse manager sent me to look at.

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/commdb/CF_COMDB.htm

http://www.usnpl.com/aknews.php

Like he said, the information is limitless. I'm sure others on here can tell you more about the area. I know it would be an adventure for you.

T

Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,782 times
Hi James!
I'm a nurse working up here in Anchorage as a regular employee........we moved here last year from around Somerset, PA.........only about 1 1/2 hrs from you. In fact, I used to work in Pittsburgh years ago.

I'm at the main hospital, so I can't speak to the API facility specifically, but I'll see if I can compare some things........

Roads here - easier to negotiate than the burgh, much easier.
Traffic - not as bad, really.
Costs - more expensive here.
Things to do - probably comparable. Anchorage is smaller, but equally active and busy. Plus it's Alaska! C'mon - you'll be a short drive from everything that makes us the Discovery Channel's favorite locale
Food - just as many cool local cultural hidden gems if you go looking and explore.

We have a lot of travel nurses in the main facility. Truth be told, I can say I've only seen 2 do one assignment and leave. The rest have been here close to a year. One nurse has her own "bucket list" of things she wants to do here, so she's renewing her contract over and over because her list isn't done yet. (which is good for us!)

DM me if I can help you with any other specifics!
DAwn

Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Hi akvarmit, thanks for the information, nice to hear from another Pennsylvanian. I guess my main concern would be A. getting out there and B. getting back. The only real feasible way to do it would be to fly in and I'm not sure if they travel agency would pay to have my stuff shipped out. I would also not have a car there so I would be doing mostly walking. How close in proximity are grocery stores, bars, etc to API?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 PM

HI James - I think Anchorage has a decent bus system to get to the local stores, etc. Depends on where you're staying. API is about 2 blocks from Providence Hospital and it all sits on a kind of "campus" right by the UAA campus.
I'm not sure what travel benefits the other travel nurses here have....I gather that's between you and your company. Biking in the snow is also popular here, believe it or not!

Go Steelers!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
HI James - I think Anchorage has a decent bus system to get to the local stores, etc. Depends on where you're staying. API is about 2 blocks from Providence Hospital and it all sits on a kind of "campus" right by the UAA campus.
I'm not sure what travel benefits the other travel nurses here have....I gather that's between you and your company. Biking in the snow is also popular here, believe it or not!

Go Steelers!
Absolutely!! BTW great info you gave the OP.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:21 AM

Yes there has been lots of great info from you guys, I really appreciate it all. I will be putting in for the job, hope I get it.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
JamesBlonde - good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage