Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM

234 posts, read 718,950 times

Advertisements

Anchorage will not necessarily give you the outdoorsy peoples' "slower paced enivironment." If you want that, you need to look into smaller suburbs. Anchorage has 250,000 people. Lots of cars always on the road, lots of gangs and occasional shootings, I wouldn't recommend living anywhere near the Seward Hwy (north, south or mid town), and I wouldn't recommend living near downtown either. If you want to live in a nicer part of town you'll have to be willing to pay HUGE amounts of money (very expensive to live in Anchorage, actually it's ridiculously expensive). The nicer areas are East of town, on the hillside. Or if you don't mind a short commute (that is if you have jobs in Anchorage), I recommend Eagle River and Chugiak, much smaller towns just north of Anchorage. Make sure you find a pretty neighborhood to live in, wherever you end up moving. Because there are definitely ugly neighborhoods in Anchorage, concrete everywhere and buildings block your view of the mountains so you feel like you're just in a mini-Los Angeles, only much colder. Anchorage is often referred to Los Anchorage, actually, because of all the crime and gangstas walking around. There are other states in the Pacific Northwest that will offer beautiful 4 seasons, but not so extremely cold. Just beware of alcoholism, rape, theft/burglary up here, it's not as safe as many places in the lower 48.

We need more women up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 PM

By the way - I have lived in Anchorage for 6 months, and my husband lived in Fairbanks for 2 years.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 44,344 times
Thanks for helping me decide....looks like Anchorage is definitely out....Juneau is looking good.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Az Girl, I have lived in Anchorage for about 20 years. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years. Before you scrap the idea of moving to Anchorage, you might want to do a little of your own research. I feel like a broken record, but I'll repeat my common post on this site. "Everything is relative!" Yes, some people think Anchorage is too big. Others think its a hick town. Some say the traffic is terrible, others laugh at the idea. You are moving from Tucson, which has a population of about a million people. Anchorage is is 1/4 that size. Our crime, traffic, etc. will be nothing compared to Tucson. Whether housing is expensive or not, once again, depends on what you're used to. I know that Phoenix was one of those areas where the real estate got to be ridiculously high. I'm not sure if Tucson was similarly affected. Anchorage on the other hand has a very stable real estate market. We have approximately 24 murders a year - half of what Tuscon has had this year. Yes, some people call Anchorage Los Anchorage, but it is a reference to the fact that crime is on the rise here - like it is everywhere. It is not an indication that Anchorage has any more problem with crime than any other city its size.

Anchorage has done a good job in preserving its "smaller town" feel. There are lots of greenbelts throughout town. We have an extensive bike trail system. People are friendly. The scenery is breathtaking - even from within the city. Within minutes (literally) you can be out of the city. Many residents spend the summer traveling to the Kenai Peninsula, which is about 2.5 hours south of Anchorage. Having lived or traveled in all 50 states, I will unequivcably (sp) tell you that on a sunny day, the drive there is the most beautiful drive in all America. The Kenai Peninsula is a mecca for outdoor activities. Unlike Juneau, you are actually accessible by car to a fair amount of Alaska. Also, the weather is drastically different. Juneau is noted for its rainy climate.

I would feel safe living almost anywhere in Anchorage. There are certainly some areas that are more desirable than others, but it generally has to do with the socioeconomic make-up of the neighborhood than it does safety.

I'm rambling, but I just wanted to encoruage you to check things out for yourself, and not be dissuaded (or persuaded) by one person's experience, which may be valid, but may not necessarily match your own experiences.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Dmills, you give good advice. Thank you

Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 AM

I give many high fives to the Juneau idea!!! There are some great little places to live in SE AK. Juneau is one of my favorites because the people seem more health conscious. In Anchorage it appears that the average person is a smoker and an alcoholic (I know it's a harsh generalization but honestly I see so much of it it's hard to avoid in town). In Juneau they have NON-FLUORIDATED CITY WATER which I am absolutely jealous of. It takes some forward thinking to realize how terrible fluoride really is for us. So far Juneau is the only city in AK I know of that has gotten rid of that terrible poison.

Yes that is good advice, everyone has different preferences as well. I highly recommend visiting the city before making a decision. I made the mistake of assuming ANC would be a beautiful, nice place to live (because I am so outdoorsy) but I was thoroughly disappointed. But I do know that lots of people love it here, and I am OK with that! I wish more people respected the city though. I hate seeing so much litter. I love the "Don't Trash Alaska!" signs everywhere, but they aren't helping much. Maybe I was spoiled back in Oregon but Alaska seems so dirty to me (in Anchorage & Wasilla at least).

I am from Portland, Oregon, where we had well over 1 million people (way bigger than Anchorage), but I would never say Anchorage feels small. Size-wise yes it is somewhat small, and incapable of sprawl due to our mountain & bay barriers, which is nice, but all the people crammed in here, with all the big trucks always on the roads, I really have trouble finding places to just take my dogs for a walk. I literally have to go to the dog park to do this. I don't feel safe walking around a typical Anchorage neighborhood, I would without a doubt recommend carrying a pistol or at least pepper spray if you intend on going for walks in ANC. Maybe bear spray?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Oh and I currently live in a pretty "ghetto" neighborhood which I am sure is making me more biased to assume all of Anchorage is trashy and unsafe. But I have driven around the entire city and been to some very nice neighborhoods but I still wouldn't let my kids out alone.

And if I am in the ghetto than why is my rent $1,000/month - for a 2 bdr apartment? If you can afford more than that, the hillside neighborhoods and some other little nice neighborhoods in west & east town do exist. But you will likely have neighbors. I was hoping to get a nice little cabin in the woods sort of deal but couldn't find one.

And why don't places have Fireplaces up here?? Can someone explain this to me? I am having trouble finding a new rental w/ a fireplace!! Everyone has 'em back in Oregon.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 AM

& is it just me or does everyone seem in a rush in Anchorage? It is very fast paced, once again giving it the big town vibe.... We should all slow down, take a breath & look at the fresh snow we got on the mtns a couple days ago! It's beautiful!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:13 AM

It is snowing already?? WOW!! It is still in the high 90's here and I just can't imagine snow in September. Arizona has 7 ecosystems! But even with that, I don't think it snows in September in AZ...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
eneralization but honestly I see so much of it it's hard to avoid in town). In Juneau they have NON-FLUORIDATED CITY WATER
That is a plus. We have fluoride in the water here and we don't drink it. Thanks for that tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage