Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,724,008 times

Advertisements

#1 Not in my opinion

#2. Just drive the highways, all the towns on the road system are great in their own way. Make sure to stop in and chat with the locals.

talkeetna is a favorite of mine. I have lived in Delta Junction for 8 years and it will always hold a special place in my heart, the farming community there is wonderful and friendly. If the Cherokee Lodge is still open, stop by and say HI for me. Fairbanks is the best small town to live in and they have the BEST Hockey team! Go IceDogs!! (okay so I am biased )
The Kenai is nice too. I have not yet been to the Inside Passage area, big family + ferry = too much money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,204,423 times
Rural Alaska is anywhere off the road system.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

I thought that was "bush" alaska?

You can live very rural but still live on the road system.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM

Drive on out here then!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,885,532 times
Quote:
Drive on out here then!
Warpt, you live rural, but when you go to Anchorage and go driving, how often do hit off the highway system.... only a few in AK...most drive the system..including you when venturing from Anchorage...

Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,669,770 times
Quote:
Most of the road system is "Rural Alaska" to the same degree that the Bush is.

It probably is not correct to refer to Wasilla or Palmer as "urban", though perhaps the core areas are at least suburban. But really, the urban areas of Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau are the only parts of Alaska that are not Rural by definition.

What is hilarious though, is that I had a running discussion (debate?) for several years with a fellow who works for NASA and puts in a week or so every year at the Toolik Lake research facility (aka, a country club for Alaskan researchers) over close to the haul road. He's been through Barrow a couple of times and insists that this is "urban"! Why, well our houses are close together, we have stop signs, and things like sewer and power utilities. (He's never been in a village and not one argument that he ever came up with to make Barrow urban would not also have made Point Lay, Allakaket, and Napaskiak just as urban!)

Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Napaskiak is a suburb of Bethel!

Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Drive on out here then!

I would love to!! Better yet, how about I fly out there, and then drive around?

I'm sure the Bush Communities are quite lovely but you have to admit they are not easy to get to for the average person.
Someday I will see more of Alaska.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,669,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I would love to!! Better yet, how about I fly out there, and then drive around?

I'm sure the Bush Communities are quite lovely but you have to admit they are not easy to get to for the average person.
Someday I will see more of Alaska.
I don't see why anyone thinks that Bush communities are "not easy to get to". Just go to the the airport in either Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau and ask the first ticket agent you can find how to get a flight... they'll be happy to sell you one!

Getting there isn't the hard part! It's making a living there that is exceedingly difficult!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,891,531 times
Palin makes a perfect politician. A sly weasle that would eat her own young to get what she wants.
She's cute...but the devil in disguise.

As mentioned earlier. The Kenai Peninsula is a nice place to visit, any time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage