Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,946 times

Advertisements

Driving from Anchorage to Kellogg Idaho on 1 December. Anyone got any suggestions and the fastest/safest route to travel? I will be driving a Nissan Titan 4x4 in tip top shape with new tires. Everone tinks I'm crazy for trying it. I think it will be a cool road trip. I have lived in Anchorage for 8 years and think I can handle the winter roads. I don't see a cheaper alternative. What do the experts think? What route would you take, or would you take the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_MEDIC View Post
Driving from Anchorage to Kellogg Idaho on 1 December. Anyone got any suggestions and the fastest/safest route to travel? I will be driving a Nissan Titan 4x4 in tip top shape with new tires. Everone tinks I'm crazy for trying it. I think it will be a cool road trip. I have lived in Anchorage for 8 years and think I can handle the winter roads. I don't see a cheaper alternative. What do the experts think? What route would you take, or would you take the risk?

Warptman is the one who can advise you on this; that guy is basically King of the Road and knows what he's talking about.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Il wait for him to chime in

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
We have drove the AlCan in all seasons, all weather.
I'm not convinced it would be the cheapest method of travel though. Unless you need a car when you get there and will be gone for a long time.

Anyway, just do it. Drive the road. Canada is really good about keeping it's roads clear. Should be no problems unless there is a snow storm.

So, make sure you have a good spare and some chains, just in case. Also, keep an extra can of gas in the back. There are some "towns" that are closed in the winter and go gas might be a few hundred miles apart.

Pack warm clothes and an emergency kit incase of a breakdown, probably wont need it but if it dips down to -20 or colder and you do have a problem in the middle of the Yukon or Northern BC, you will want to be prepared. Canadians are really friendly and helpful. Do unto others as you would have done to you. Words to live by on the AlCan.

If you stay overnight in Watson Lake, stay at the Big Horn Hotel.

Have fun and take your camera! The year we drove in December we took our Ford F-350 and arrived in Bozeman, MT in 4 days! (from Fairbanks with 4 kids)

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 PM

Thanks family of 4, I can ship the truck to Sea Tac for 1k,

Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Why ship it when you can drive it?

from:Anchorage, AK to:Hart to:HWY-1 E to:48.107431,-119.805908 to:Kellogg, Idaho - Google Maps

This is a great route, we drove up from Montana this past summer this route. A stop in Liard River Hot Springs is a must.

I just came back from a weekend trip to Whitehorse, Yukon, it was great. It was snowing from Whitehorse to Tok though, a little slow going but it was drivable.

How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_MEDIC View Post
Thanks family of 4, I can ship the truck to Sea Tac for 1k,
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Flying and renting a car. But again, this depends on how many place tickets you have to buy and how long you will be gone.

We have actually shipped out our scout and flew down once. It cost $500 back in the day from Delta Junction to Seattle on a semi. And we got a good deal on flights (there were only 4 of us back then, now we have 6 total!)

We mostly drive too since it is cheaper for us. But I tell ya, there are days when we have been on the road for 5 days and we are like, "why do we keep driving this god damn road!"

I think the adventure is addicting!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM

I can ship the truck to Sea Tac for 1K thru Totem and flydown and pick it up there. So I 'm thinking with airfare probably 1400 bucks. Not sure If that's more than what the drive will be with hotels/ food/ gas. Thanks for the info and it will give me something to think about.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I'm guessing driving would be cheaper, unless you get stuck somewhere for a couple of days because of snow. The main consideration would be if you can afford to take off the 3-4 days of driving time.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
First day you can make it to Whitehorse and spend anywhere from $50-90 CAD on a hotel. Second day you can make it to Fort Nelson and spend anywhere between $70 on up CAD. Third day you can make it down to Prince George or farther, I like staying in Williams Lake. From there day four is a border push and stay in Bellingham at the Comfort Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage