Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,818 times

Advertisements

How are prices at Home Depot or Lowes in Anchorage compared to the lower 48?

I am moving up in January and considering buying a fixer-upper. I am familiar with this type of thing in Durango, CO where prices are high. I've also worked in larger communities in Oregon were prices were much lower.

Considering Anchorage is a large city, can I expect prices for remodel materials to be similar to the lower 48? Or does the location (isolation) drive costs up significantly?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrows View Post

I am moving up in January and considering buying a fixer-upper. I am familiar with this type of thing in Durango, CO where prices are high. I've also worked in larger communities in Oregon were prices were much lower.

Considering Anchorage is a large city, can I expect prices for remodel materials to be similar to the lower 48? Or does the location (isolation) drive costs up significantly?

Thanks!

The easiest way is to go to lowes.com or homedepot.com - you'll want to put in a location for Alaska. Put in Anchorage or either the zip code 99503. You can look at lumber and other materials for price comparisons.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
If it is an item that is normally in-stock in their stores, the prices are the same as in the -48. However, if it's something that needs to be special ordered, for example something you order through their website which requires "in-store" delivery, you will pay approx 10% over lower 48 prices - neither one offers free shipping up here. This pretty much negates the benefit of web special at the HD and Lowes online stores up here since you still need to ensure whatever your looking at is physically in stock, or expect to pay a price. But of course their stores are so big in the first place that I usually don't have any problem.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
Its not the same price, when I graduated I came back home to AK and looked for a sheet of double A face plywood and it was like 100$ and it was only A/B face, in colorado I paid like 40$ for double A face. So its alot more $$$$$ up here.

If all you are buying is some plastic fittings or something liek that you might not notice the price difference but large construction material is alot more.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 23,337 times
Default Sunday paper adds

I have been checking adds, and websites, for Lowes, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. and so far every page has had same prices as those advertised in lower 48.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,747,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrows View Post

Thanks!
The prices are higher and your material selection will be much more limited up here than in the lower 48.

Material prices vary.. I have seen prices as much as double the lower 48 prices and others are pretty close lower 48. I believe it depends on where it is being shipped from and the overall weight and size of the items.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 PM

The material costs at lowes are nothing compared to the labor rates up here if you dont know how to install and fix things yourself, I suggest to anyone to learn to do there own plumbing, electrical, dry wall etc because as soon as you involve a 3rd party the price is going to go through the roof. All these outragious prices you hear of for bathroom remodles, its not the material prices at lowes, its like 80% labor just fix it yourself its not rocket science.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Spell check...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Spell check...
give up...he can't figure out how to use it!!! not educated at all!!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
give up...he can't figure out how to use it!!! not educated at all!!
Yea because im writing a PhD thesis here, and its all about the grammer right who cares about content, or is content just a secondary check if the grammer is flawless. Wake up this is an internet forum, I spend like less than 30 sec writing most posts, im not going to go through and do a spell and grammer check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage