Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM

40 posts, read 176,701 times

Advertisements

Ypsi and Ypsilanti Township are fairly closely related to Ann Arbor from a standpoint of racial tolerance. Both are more blue collar, but Ypsi township is growing fairly rapidly, and I think young professionals are making up a large percentage of the new residents. Don't confuse the city of Ypsilanti with the township. They're quite different. Plus, you have pretty good access to the Huron River and all the parks between Ypsi and Huron Township.
You are probably right that Huron township wouldn't have the same degree of racial tolerance as the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area does.
I work in the construction industry and I wouldn't limit myself to Centex communities. They're kind of the Walmart of builders. They slap together subdivisions so fast, you're looking at a small city before you even realize the cornfields are gone. There are plenty of small builders around here (including myself!) who can give much more of a personal touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 15,437 times
Default Moving to Ann Arbor - Diverse, Progressive, Energy

You know, home is where the heart is - you can live in Detroit, New Boston, Ann Arbor, Dexter or where ever - the key thing is to get your attitude right each day and live! <p>

We love it here with of course some pet peeves. While there is traffic, it is still a town and nothing like a big city. The University and the University Hospitals are driving the economy right now and if you are buying a home - the closer it is to these things the better off you are as far as demand when it is time to sell. Moderator cut: real estate advertising is not allowed<p>You Mentioned Centex, they are one of the few builders that is continuing to build in this economy - they build an affordable product that offers a lot of what people are looking for. I highly recommend them. Right now they have communities in Ypsilanti, Pittsfield, Dexter, Milan, Superior township. They build where they can get cheap land whcih puts them a bit out from the city. Again, this is a smaller area so you could get to town in @20 minutes.

Last edited by Yac; 03-07-2008 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
Having just moved from Superior Twp. last fall for a job relocation (we lived in the mobile home park just up Geddes, probably about 2 blocks from where your home development is - as most of the developments were going in on Geddes) it was a really nice area. I worked in AA, as did my husband, and we could get there in 15 minutes (to downtown). All the restaurants and fun of AA, or - when we just couldn't stand the college kids - all the fun of Canton/Livonia/Plymouth/Novi in the other direction (about 1/2 hour to Novi).

Really a good area to be sandwiched in-between.

Depending where you are in Superior - you'll have Willow Run schools, or possibly Ypsi. Neither are paritucularly good - if you could get your child into AA schools - they are some of the very best in the area.

Oh - a new Target just went in, next to the new Kohl's on MI Ave (in Canton at Sheldon Road) it is about 10 minutes from the Centex Development's off of Geddes.

Good luck to you -I loved the area - there are a LOT of nature preserves in Superior Twp (they are pretty serious about preserving land) and you would see deer pretty often driving out Prospect Road.

I don't know anything about New Boston - so I'll just leave it at the fact that Superior Twp., is a pretty special place.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit concern about Willow run schools.

How hard would it be to get my child in AA school. do they allow out of district permit/transfers? Any school of choices for AA area?

How expensive for private school?

Our school district is Ford Elementary. they seem average for grade school "C" for a composite score; worst for the middle school and high school.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I think there are some charters in the area .. I don't know if AA is a district of choice - you'll have to contact them. We didn't have children, however I stayed up on events enough to know that Willow Run is one of the worst districts in the area. Really that is due in large part to the fact that Willow Run is a poor district, and many of the students don't get the preparation that there is in wealthier districts. Other than your school choices, Superior Township is really quite lovely. Away from everything - but in the heart of it all! I also think once the economy comes back, that the Geddes corridor will continue to grow and you will have even more choices in places to shop and activities to do. Hopefully they will continue their strong stance on protecting the interior of the township from development.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor