Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times

Advertisements

I am still learning the area but one thing stuck out to me as I drove north to Ann Arbor from Dundee. And into Ann Arbor from M-14 East. So... many... dead... deer. I literally have seen in my three short trips 7 dead on the roadside (I counted). I'm kind of scared as someone moving to Dundee and commuting to Ann Arbor everyday. The speed limit is 70 but I stay in the slow lane after dark and do 55-60. Am I being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 06:13 AM

8 posts, read 6,526 times
Being cautious is good. Yes, there are a ton of deer in the area. Know that twilight is when they move the most and that should help. Also know, there is never one deer! If you see one, slow down and look around. I don't think it's the first one that gets hit, it's the 2nd or 3rd because people assume that one made it and they are clear to continue.

Drive cautiously and watch the side of the road.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 AM

21 posts, read 27,600 times
Use your brights whenever you are able to do so without blinding other drivers. Deer have reflective eyes and it is much easier to avoid them when you see them in advance, and brights help with that significantly.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 PM

67 posts, read 76,872 times
Nope, you're not being paranoid. That's the reality out there. Lots...of...deer. Unfortunately some Ann Arborites flipped out when the city did a deer cull and apparently have nothing better to do with their time than object to deer population control. Deer are dangerous. Yes, definitely drive slower at night and use brights as much as possible. Watch the side of the road for their eyes reflecting, and if a hit is inevitable, hit them straight on. NEVER VEER. Just taking these simple proactive steps will keep you from hitting many a deer.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Thanks everyone! Giving you rep points! I got a lot of good advice here. I'll stay where I'm at on speed, figure others can pass me if it's that big of a deal. I don't like being rude to others and using brights, but if they are not anywhere near... I will, for sure. I'd rather have someone honk at me for being slow or get pulled over before I crash into one of these kiddos. Just surprised there aren't more warning signs... seeing how many carcasses I saw. If they are going to care about population, are these Arborites going to care about signage for fellow humans too?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 AM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueA2 View Post
Nope, you're not being paranoid. That's the reality out there. Lots...of...deer. Unfortunately some Ann Arborites flipped out when the city did a deer cull and apparently have nothing better to do with their time than object to deer population control. Deer are dangerous. Yes, definitely drive slower at night and use brights as much as possible. Watch the side of the road for their eyes reflecting, and if a hit is inevitable, hit them straight on. NEVER VEER. Just taking these simple proactive steps will keep you from hitting many a deer.
The deer cull was completely unnecessary and had nothing to do with driver safety. Like, this is not another "rich people more concerned about their lawns than animal's lives" complaint. driver safety wasn't even cited in the decision.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:40 PM

67 posts, read 76,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
The deer cull was completely unnecessary and had nothing to do with driver safety. Like, this is not another "rich people more concerned about their lawns than animal's lives" complaint. driver safety wasn't even cited in the decision.
I don't know what the original complaint was, but the effect was quite personal. The deer darting across Pontiac Trail was increasing, and dangerous. After the cull I experienced a noticeable decrease in near misses. This is a VERY personal issue for me and my life safety. Deer get around. WHATEVER the original complaint was, the cull has a positive effect on commuters.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueA2 View Post
I don't know what the original complaint was, but the effect was quite personal. The deer darting across Pontiac Trail was increasing, and dangerous. After the cull I experienced a noticeable decrease in near misses. This is a VERY personal issue for me and my life safety. Deer get around. WHATEVER the original complaint was, the cull has a positive effect on commuters.
I love deer and all... but I think the cull was a good thing. The population has seemed to grow too high and it puts lives at risk on the roads. Unless they are going to siphon off all the roadways with fence I think it should be done. The reality is this is unaffordable and this is a sensible and logical move. As long as the deer are either moved or put down in a humane way.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:13 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Depending on what you drive, there are guards you can put on the front end to protect your vehicle. The most important part there is the radiator. If it's a truck, then a baja bumper may have enough angle to put the deer underneath instead of over the hood.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:27 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
They also sell a product on Amazon and elsewhere called a deer whistle that you attach to the front of your car (they're roughly the size of your thumb). They emit a high pitched squeal discernable to animals when air blows through them which is supposed to frighten the deer out of your path when they hear you coming. I have no idea how well they work, but they are out there to buy and I know people who have used them and swear by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor