Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times

Advertisements

We are planning to build a craftsman-inspired home, and we currently live in a gorgeous, mostly preserved bungalow from 1923. I think after you have time to appreciate what the old style offers, you don't want to live in a modern shoebox ever again. We are working hard to balance cost and craftsmanship. I think it takes an understanding builder and for us, a long term vision because we certainly can't do all the trim at once. We have to relocate, and I am glad for the time we had in this neat beautiful space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
My house was an early craftsman style bungalow that was built by lumberman in the midst of a mixed neighborhood. There was there were farmhouses, a converted carriage house, and Victorians of various ages. I an mot convinced that most of the people I ever met understood the Craftsman was a one-size fits all floor plan. If I remember correctly the original and only plan was a one bed 800 sq foot house. It was a California design based on a low roofed building in India that resembled a summer house. There were specific features that set the craftsman apart from every other bungalow. Large veranda across the front (mine was 28 x 10) with large columns. I had the large fireplace, bookcases, large wide arch, the buffet, screened-in back porch/summer kitchen or summer bedroom wood shingles and tons of storage. You knew when you walked in the door you knew it was a craftsman bungalow. The first realtor did not know, nor care to learn and lost the sale. . .

Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The Craftsman bungalow is a simple plan that is only as expensive as the eye candy you add. The original floor plan did not have ceiling floor trim, it had one or two gables. This is a simple house that was meant to blend with nature and not be as ornate and in-yer-face as the Victorian. It wads first used to showcase period furniture designed and built by a master carpenter/furniture maker. I think his name was Stickley, but I won't swear by it.

Craftsman is a NAME. Anyone who can read a floor plan and use a ruler, square and plumb can build a craftsman home.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Obviously A LOT has changed in housing since '08. Many observers draw parallels between our time and craftsman movement of the early 20th century, when the majority found themselves turned off by perceived Victorian excess and embraced a smaller, more manageable and authentic lifestyle, embodied by the homes built during the time like the craftsman style bungalow.

I don't believe history necessarily repeats itself, but it does rhyme... I see the mcmansion backlash, the shrinking size and more traditional designs of new homes and a vigorous art scene as evidence of a new crafstman movement.

What do you think? Will the next decade or two bring us something similar in home design, style? Will the population at large want and seek a more authentic lifestyle?
I think the mainstream McMansion buyer is beyond hope and will never make sound, authentic choices about anything because they're generally all about appearances and don't have independent thought-making abilities. They are media-driven people for which commercials and advertisements are made.

On the edge of mainstream, however, are actual or potential McMansion buyers who were saved from themself by the current recession and have to downsize. These people are in a position to question the mainstream thought about architecture and be more selective and authentic. These are the people who are more likely to buy an older home.

Then, on the fringe, are vintage homeowners. These are the people who would never have considered a McMansion and probably try to avoid any suburb not existing before WWII.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,080 times
I think that they are getting popular, but they will reach their peak within 15 years.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
It may see counter to economic trends etc. but I don't see a trend toward people wanting smaller homes. Homes and particularly yards that require less maintenance maybe. Cheaper maybe. But not smaller.
Family has become THE thing. Families hang out together, vacation together, do everything together. They are like mini-tribes. I see families of 6 meandering through the grocery store like they can't stand to be separated from each other for more than 5 minutes at a time. Jokes are made about kids never leaving home but frankly I know lots of parents who don't mind that much. They certainly don't want them to leave town or move to another state. Combine the whole communal nature of everyone being together all the time with the american propensity to shop as entertainment/hobby and drag home epic amounts of cheap crap all I ever hear about is 'we need more space'.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm seeing a lot of folks coming in to ask for "sustainable" plans. Some of them want shipping containers made into houses because they deem that to be more sustainable than using lumber. As if shipping containers grow on trees. The budgets are a bit tighter and they are more open to different styles than they were before. The concept of "house" & "home" is changing, at least among the folks showing up wanting houses drawn. It would be lovely to get back to a widespread craftsman style, but at the moment the construction trade is still mostly a one trick pony. If it's not stick framed with pre-hung doors, nail on windows and with a drywall interior they aren't sure what to do.
Boy aint that the truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum