Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That one made me sick. Some people are so incredibly stupid that it's mind-bogging.... paying tens of thousands of dollars to turn a beautiful antique home in perfect condition into a complete piece of streetscape trash.

I hope the Previous Owner haunts the crap out of them.
I was wrong; the new owner was not an immigrant, judging from her name (Donna Harricharan). Just someone who bought a historic home without any interest in its style and just wanted a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Saw this on another forum. It's more tragic than ugly. (although the final result is pretty ugly...)

The Saddest House In New York City « Scouting NY
I wish I had never clicked on that link.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Saw this in the NYC forum. Do people think this qualifies for the ugly house thread?

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/2010_10_bushwickocean.jpg
Kinda looms up, like an outhouse in a fog, don't it?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
This is kind of embarrassing, but this *might* just explain why I have so much fun writing ugly house critiques... I actually paid money to live in this house a few years back:

We called it "The milk carton"... I wanted to sell advertising space on the side but my wife wouldn't have it.

Critics of domestic architecture would be quick to note that cars live here, but so did a dysfunctional family with a crazy father and a stinky dog.

IT wasn't all bad though. This house was so well designed that the tiny bedroom in front with the only front facade window (West facing to boot) was PERFECT for drying beef jerky during the summer time. To think the builder actually took that into consideration when designing the place! Everything else pretty much sucked, but life's problems have a way of working themselves out when there's plenty of jerky around.

The other great thing about it was that once your jerky was dry, you could take it to the car and drive off without ever letting your neighbors see how ashamed you were to live in such an ugly house!

Now the really embarrassing part. I sold it for around 40K more than I bought it. I'm ashamed to have participated and profited from crappy architecture, and tried to join a strange religious cult for a while in an attempt to do penitence for my sins... though I had trouble finding the garage to park my car so nobody would see me:

That's a fake bell tower too. I found out the hard way... don't ask.

I'm asking. What type of house of worship is that?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Saw this on another forum. It's more tragic than ugly. (although the final result is pretty ugly...)

The Saddest House In New York City « Scouting NY
That was truly disturbing and very sad.

I guess the only truly satisfying thing about this architectural travesty is the knowledge that this house has just about lost all it's value; the potential pool of buyers that would find this abomination of a house appealing, now surrounded by a small moat of concrete, devoid of any trees or privacy is just about nil. So hopefully this house represents (now, represented) its owner's greatest asset and having now lost all its value, the owners will never again have the assets to buy and destroy another beautiful historic home.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Mine is one of the ugliest houses along the street, but I don't care. It is my beautiful little orange-brick home perfectly suited to my tastes.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm asking. What type of house of worship is that?
Mormon. What else would there be in Utah?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Mormon. What else would there be in Utah?
Oh, about 30 or so other possibilities.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
I have always dreamed of buying either an old store or church and having it converted into a home. Sadly, our family income will never allow for this. I wanted to say thank you to all of you who posted in this thread, I not only had some good laughs but learned a great deal.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Here's another sinful pile of plywood crap:

!
Although i enjoy your commentary, I think you are wrong on this one. Therre is not likely a scrap of plywood in this thing. It is undoubtedly made of floorboard with OSB labels stamped on it. If they only paid their architect $129.35, they certainly are not going to spring for plywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum