Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
If the house is so big with five or six bedrooms and there isn't a big backyard or front yard outside then I'd consider it a McMansion. There are a lot of them out here.
Would a New York brownstone be considered a McMansion? They're pretty big with small yards too.

I would say that if the land values are high enough, a big house on a small lot isn't necessarily a McMansion.

For instance, I would say that the size of these homes relative to the lot is perfectly appropriate given the location. Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Although the architecture on seem of them seems a little odd.
Take this window... Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Barn door shutters, a Juliette balcony and stone cladding... what's going on here.

This modern house further down the street looks much better. Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Or this brick clad house: Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Even this generic looking house feels refreshing after all those peak roofed stone clad homes... Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM

580 posts, read 965,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Would a New York brownstone be considered a McMansion? They're pretty big with small yards too.

I would say that if the land values are high enough, a big house on a small lot isn't necessarily a McMansion.

For instance, I would say that the size of these homes relative to the lot is perfectly appropriate given the location. Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Although the architecture on seem of them seems a little odd.
Take this window... Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Barn door shutters, a Juliette balcony and stone cladding... what's going on here.

This modern house further down the street looks much better. Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Or this brick clad house: Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Even this generic looking house feels refreshing after all those peak roofed stone clad homes... Rosedale, Toronto, ON - Google Maps

I've seen something like the houses you show from Toronto in Cedar City. I agree they are big houses with small backyards not McMansions.

Perhaps my description might be a little too vague. I can see what you are saying. I may have to do a bit more research.

As for the New York Brownstone, I wouldn't classify it as a McMansion. They seem more like freestanding apartments to me. In fact I always thought that was what they were.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
I've seen something like the houses you show from Toronto in Cedar City. I agree they are big houses with small backyards not McMansions.

Perhaps my description might be a little too vague. I can see what you are saying. I may have to do a bit more research.

As for the New York Brownstone, I wouldn't classify it as a McMansion. They seem more like freestanding apartments to me. In fact I always thought that was what they were.
The NYC ones were originally just big houses (like the Cosby Show), but many of them have been retrofitted to be multiple apartments, since they are easy to rent out.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
The area where I grew up in the Midwest had some modest & unique homes on small plots. Then came the building boom.
So people started to buy houses that went for sale. In short, they either knocked down the entire house or build up
the house taking up most of the property. It became a competition who's house was bigger and what extra amenities
they had. They became more ridiculous with each one. This obsession to compete with the Jones turned out these
McMansions (as in Wikipedia). Now there they sit, hideous as can be, nothing that unique just a huge house on a small
lot with over 3000 sq feet so that 3 people can live in it. Meanwhile, some lost their homes when things crashed and
some who remain complain about their high taxes, heating and cooling costs and insurance rates.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Ive alwasy thoguth of Mcmansions has large mostly stroy home built on pretty small lots. My home is on a acre and only 2000 sq feeet but I when buying saw some thathardy had a ayrd. Not that its anyhtig wrong just not to my taste.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM

237 posts, read 440,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
The area where I grew up in the Midwest had some modest & unique homes on small plots. Then came the building boom.
So people started to buy houses that went for sale. In short, they either knocked down the entire house or build up
the house taking up most of the property. It became a competition who's house was bigger and what extra amenities
they had. They became more ridiculous with each one. This obsession to compete with the Jones turned out these
McMansions (as in Wikipedia). Now there they sit, hideous as can be, nothing that unique just a huge house on a small
lot with over 3000 sq feet so that 3 people can live in it. Meanwhile, some lost their homes when things crashed and
some who remain complain about their high taxes, heating and cooling costs and insurance rates.
Right like what, you thought heating/cooling/powering that thing was going to be affordable...smh

Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Those look like mcmansions to me. Check out the older homes next to them. They might be decent looking and slightly understated mcmansions, but mcmansions nonetheless. I personally like the modern house you posted, but check the older house next door. It's 1/3 the size.

Not sure about the NY brownstones. Did they originally have large yards that were sold and subdivided?

I personally think "large house/small lot" is a primary factor of mcmansionness. If you want a real mansion, buy the appropriate amount of land to fit your large home on. I think most LA mansions are mcmansions - the original of the species in fact. I don't necessarily use mcmansion only a pejorative though.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 03-19-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
My father's cousin has a 12,000 square foot house on one acre. It's a custom home but the house is too big for the lot.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Those look like mcmansions to me. Check out the older homes next to them. They might be decent looking and slightly understated mcmansions, but mcmansions nonetheless. I personally like the modern house you posted, but check the older house next door. It's 1/3 the size.
I wouldn't say they're understated at all.
I don't really object to them being called McMansions, but because of the architecture, not the lot size. The area (Ledbury Park) is "intensifying" since the location is much more desirable than when the area was initially built out, and since multi-family is not allowed, the "intensification" is happening in the form of bigger homes. It's virtually guaranteed that the smaller houses will be torn down as soon as their owners decide to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Not sure about the NY brownstones. Did they originally have large yards that were sold and subdivided?

I personally think "large house/small lot" is a primary factor of mcmansionness. If you want a real mansion, buy the appropriate amount of land to fit your large home on. I think most LA mansions are mcmansions - the original of the species in fact. I don't necessarily use mcmansion only a pejorative though.
If you have a large house on a small lot in the middle of nowhere, maybe, but I disagree if the houses are in desirable locations. Ledbury Park is probably comparably desirable now as a neighbourhood like The Annex was when it was built.

The Annex has large houses on small lots built around the turn of the century: Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Toronto is a city which is attractive to wealthy people, but the core has too high land values for multi acre estates to be affordable, even if you're very wealthy, so unless you're expecting Toronto's wealthy to live in a small house, or an apartment, large house/small lot is what it's going to be.

If it weren't for historical preservation and zoning restrictions (which are ok since The Annex's homes are quite special), it wouldn't surprise me if The Annex started seeing the construction courtyard homes extending all the way to the rear lot line or maybe 4 storey townhouses like in the most desirable neighbourhoods of London where you might have 5000 sf townhouses like these: London, UK - Google Maps
OK maybe not quite like Mayfair, but maybe something like this in Chicago: Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL, USA - Google Maps

So I think it should be more like large house, small lot AND low land value. Although personally, if the architecture is and construction quality are good, I would still call it a mansion.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
I have a balloon framed house,that has a layer of 1x4 on walls and ceiling then 3/8 sheet rock.The floors have a layer of 1x8 then 3/4 plywood then 3/4 tang oak .With true 2x8 oak joists.The walls are yellow pine bottom plate to roof 2 story house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum