Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Worst of McMansions

Here you go. This guy does a good job of breaking it down. Grab some pepto, you'll need it to get very far. There are some monstrosities in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 05:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
But Wait.....

The last three below
The Sierra Madre Tattler!: Narcotecture: The Other McMansions

Hideous
http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_...n_full_600.jpg

Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 PM

209 posts, read 168,961 times
See concord Massachusetts. Or Lincoln. Or Sudbury.
Crappy oversized cheap fab houses that the rich pay WAY too much money for. And act like their poop don't stink.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:11 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
But Wait.....

The last three below
[url=http://sierramadretattler.blogspot.com/2014/12/narcotecture-other-mcmansions.html]The Sierra Madre Tattler!: Narcotecture: The Other McMansions[/url
Entasis and proportion- what in the world is that?!!!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
One McMansion feature is a two-story entry sticking out from the house with a keystone arch above the upper window. Does anybody else find that wrong-looking, because there's nothing taking the side thrust of the arch? In fact, it's not going to tip the columns or piers over, but it looks like it would. After a century you would probably see cracks, but is the house going to last that long? -- I hope not.
"Nubs" are, as the McMansion Hell keeper mentioned, caused by complex roof shapes. They are common in Queen Anne designs, where the roof "is a problem in solid geometry". If you "take your scissors and clip them off", figuratively, you get flat roof sections that have their own problems. The cure is to apply roof cresting and give the nub some apparent purpose in holding it up. I don't think I've ever seen a McMansion with cresting, although it's often found on Queen Annes.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 AM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
After posting the above, I had a horrible thought: are the arches and piers just stick-on fiberglass over wood framing and chipboard sheathing? Shows how foolish I am to think an arch actually has to support something.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnenthehardway View Post
I have a balloon framed house,that has a layer of 1x4 on walls and ceiling then 3/8 sheet rock.The floors have a layer of 1x8 then 3/4 plywood then 3/4 tang oak .With true 2x8 oak joists.The walls are yellow pine bottom plate to roof 2 story house.
I have a large dog with mostly golden brown long fur but a black face and some white patches on his feet, stomach and chest. His tail is 14.5 inches long. He has brown eyes and yellowish white teeth. He weighs 133 pounds.

Where do these random and completely unrelated posts come from? It makes no sense when they pop up, how does it happen?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
After posting the above, I had a horrible thought: are the arches and piers just stick-on fiberglass over wood framing and chipboard sheathing? Shows how foolish I am to think an arch actually has to support something.
Bingo!

If any modern structure (doesn't have to be a McMansion) has an arch made of real brick or stone, that arch is likely only supporting the weight of that veneer layer, and has no real connection to the actual structure of the building. They are, essentially, decorative.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
The area where I live is being overrun with these pompous McMansion developments, the longtime residents in my town refer to these places as our "subdivision suburbs" and you can not drive on any road going out of town without passing at least one of these "silk panties" enclaves.

The construction on these houses is shoddy to say the least, I spent decades in the industry, contracting and supply and have been to a number of build sites. Houses are slapped together so fast it isn't even funny, in fact it's scary. Roof trusses and wall frames are prefabricated and shipped on a rollered flatbed and dumped on the ground in one big bundle. Many workers do not speak english, drinking and drug use on the job is rampant and many could not pass a background check to work at Wal-Mart. All work is performed by the low bidder.

Anyone who is considering having a new house built needs to do a thorough investigation of the company, some are highly rated and others have numerous complaints.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:38 AM

522 posts, read 715,541 times
A big honking pretentious house either in subdivision or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum