Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
Does anyone know what style our home is? There is some debate within our community and with previous owners we have spoken with. In our research we have found that it resembles an Early Eclectic style home. However, the owner who did the major renovation back in 1996 says it is a Queen Ann Victorian. To my wife and I, it shares none of the characteristics with a Queen Ann other than maybe the Scammozzi Capitals that top the front porch columns.

Old House enthusiasts...................Help??????????????

I'm sooooo..jealous!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 08:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,862 times
IM going to say Queen Anne ...............

here is a link to Sears Catalog homes ... looks like it could be one of them
Sears Modern Homes - Oldhouseweb.com

Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 27,520 times
Talking It's a little late, but I thought I would throw my two cents in...

Your house would be considered a Queen Anne, however, it lends itself to the subtype of the "Free Classic" style. This was a variation of the Queen Anne style, whose popularity began to fade during the early twentieth century. It is typically characterized by a free/asymmetrical massing of the interior plan of the house. The Queen Anne Free Classic style "has a more formal feel and is characterized by classical features...features may include a Palladian window in the front gable, a porch with classical columns (check), and a pediment over the front entry (check, check)." I like to think of the Free Classic style as a transition between the Queen Anne style and the Arts & Crafts/Prairie/Foursquare style.

Hope this information could help.

It is a beautiful home. Are you planning on restoring the house to the way it looked in the picture? I would love to see the balustrade placed on the upper roof again. It looks as though the original window was different from the one in your most current pictures - it also looks like there was another window located on the other side of the entryway. Any idea what happened to one or both of these windows?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what style our home is? There is some debate within our community and with previous owners we have spoken with. In our research we have found that it resembles an Early Eclectic style home. However, the owner who did the major renovation back in 1996 says it is a Queen Ann Victorian. To my wife and I, it shares none of the characteristics with a Queen Ann other than maybe the Scammozzi Capitals that top the front porch columns.

Old House enthusiasts...................Help??????????????

That is a Queen Anne Victorian home, they were popular around the late 1800's. Typically your average one will have three colors, A body, trim and window frame colors. The more ornate homes will have several more and are commonly called "painted Lady's"

Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMDesigns View Post
Your house would be considered a Queen Anne, however, it lends itself to the subtype of the "Free Classic" style. This was a variation of the Queen Anne style, whose popularity began to fade during the early twentieth century. It is typically characterized by a free/asymmetrical massing of the interior plan of the house. The Queen Anne Free Classic style "has a more formal feel and is characterized by classical features...features may include a Palladian window in the front gable, a porch with classical columns (check), and a pediment over the front entry (check, check)." I like to think of the Free Classic style as a transition between the Queen Anne style and the Arts & Crafts/Prairie/Foursquare style.

It is a beautiful home. Are you planning on restoring the house to the way it looked in the picture? I would love to see the balustrade placed on the upper roof again. It looks as though the original window was different from the one in your most current pictures - it also looks like there was another window located on the other side of the entryway. Any idea what happened to one or both of these windows?
the vertical battens, cross gables, balustrade and pointed arch windows on upper part of house make me think this used elements of gothic revival along with some queen anne.
Victorian- Nah, not ornate enough. If it had 5 different sized windows, maybe.
Free classic style queen anne tends to have rounded edges (turrets, cuppolas) and scroll work, doesn't it? Change of textures going up to upper floors isn't happening either.
Appears as if there isn't one answer- the era had a few styles going, and this looks like a mash up of a few things.
Very nice home just the same, and restoring balustrades would really bring out the wow.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMDesigns View Post

We have no idea where the windows went! They are covered up but we don't know why! We are thinking the home became a duplex in the 70's and 80's and the far window at the other side f the porch became an entry way! We plan to restore it to original...........windows and all!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
We have no idea where the windows went! They are covered up but we don't know why! We are thinking the home became a duplex in the 70's and 80's and the far window at the other side f the porch became an entry way! We plan to restore it to original...........windows and all!
that happened too many times in the 60-80's to homes.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
There is no such thing as "Victorian" architecture style. The Victorian period covers several decades and dozens of architectural styles. All houses built during this time period are Victorian.

Most homes from the late 1870s through the 1910s were a mix of various styles. Most houses from this time period were modified by prior owners and even more architectural styles were thrown into the mix.

I do not see a lot of queen Anne elements here. Q.A. is exemplified by rounded porches, turrets, towers, bay windows and gingerbread siding.

I do see elements of craftsman, stick,
and colonial revival. There is a bit of Gothic revival thrown in with those windows at the top. It appears that some elements may have been added at different times. The front door and front window are art & crafts.

This house has quite a bit of similarity to the house at 201 East Washington Street in Santa Ana CA. (Maybe some computer wizard can cook up a picture of that house). That house is often described as colonial revival/craftsman with an oriental influence.

Call it anything that you want to. Whatever makes you happy probably has some accuracy. You could just call it a cool old house. trying to shoehorn almost any historical home into a single architectural style is generally an exercise in futility.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is no such thing as "Victorian" architecture style. The Victorian period covers several decades and dozens of architectural styles. All houses built during this time period are Victorian.

Most homes from the late 1870s through the 1910s were a mix of various styles. Most houses from this time period were modified by prior owners and even more architectural styles were thrown into the mix.

I do not see a lot of queen Anne elements here. Q.A. is exemplified by rounded porches, turrets, towers, bay windows and gingerbread siding.

I do see elements of craftsman, stick,
and colonial revival. There is a bit of Gothic revival thrown in with those windows at the top. It appears that some elements may have been added at different times. The front door and front window are art & crafts.

This house has quite a bit of similarity to the house at 201 East Washington Street in Santa Ana CA. (Maybe some computer wizard can cook up a picture of that house). That house is often described as colonial revival/craftsman with an oriental influence.

Call it anything that you want to. Whatever makes you happy probably has some accuracy. You could just call it a cool old house. trying to shoehorn almost any historical home into a single architectural style is generally an exercise in futility.
The overall form is of the Queen Anne style. Alot of the Victorian homes did borrow detailing from other era's. The Victorian Era was indeed a historical time period, but there are only a handfull of houses associated with the word Victoran, such as East Lake, Second Empire, Queen Anne, Stick style, Folk Victoran, Shingle style, and so forth. There are other styles that were starting within this era that are not Victorian in any way, such as the Greene and Green Craftsman homes, and the early Frank Lloyd Wright and Sullivan prarie style homes.

This paticular home does lack some of the very easly defined Victorian decorations, but the overall form is that of Queen Anne. Such as the prominent Front gable that is intersecting a hip roof, or a cross gable. The large front wraping porch (although there are quite a few that do not have this). It also does have some elements of Itallianate style, although there are many examples of Queen Anne that have such as the brackets seen here. Some even take parts of Craftsman homes with the inclution of exposed truss tails. Over time this paticular home has lost its three body colors, but I bet if the home owner dug deep enough on the body, the trim, and the window frames you will unearth three distinct body colors.

Queen Anne styles were used by the rich and the farmers both. The ammount of detail was dependant on the use of the house. More elaborate ones known as "painted lady's" were more built by the wealthy, where as the farm versions will share a smiliar overall shape, but be less ornate. The "painted lady's" also had up to 7 distinct body colors and be much more vibrant of a home.

Here is an example of a very ordinary Queen Anne Victorian home. Most probably a farm house.

Here is an example of a "painted Lady" These Queen Anne homes are very ornate as seen below, and have up to 7 colors

Here are some other forms of Victorian Homes.
East Lake

Second Empire

Stick style (great example of this style)

Folk Victoran (came after the initial Victorian Architecture movement)
http://users.rcn.com/scndempr/dave/schoolimages/folk.jpg (broken link)

Shingle style

Some Non Victorian Homes of the same era.

Craftsman homes (the landmark example of Craftsman homes, the Gamble house)

got late writing this, ill fix spelling errors later ;p

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times
I would say its a Stick style Victorian. But I agree that it has other elements as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum