Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 09:30 AM

202 posts, read 1,017,749 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Whenever I'm driving down a road in my car, and I spot an old house, how do I know if I'm looking at an old farm house or just an old house? What are the architectural differences?

I primarily look in the four-state region of Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska, if that makes any difference.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Being located on a farm, or property that used to be a farm, would be one indication.

What you may be talking about is Craftsman's Style houses which were built in rural, small town, and urban areas.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:09 AM

123 posts, read 175,396 times
Are you talking from a stylistic point of view or what? Farm style houses, southern plantation homes, etc are all homes you are likely to find on a farm. These homes have large, often wraparound porches, and are generally larger in size. Many have gable roofs and wooden siding. In older suburban areas, you are likely to find ranch style, victorians, craftsman bungalows, and homes of brick construction rather than wood.

The spatial characteristics surrounding the home will likely give you a lot of important clues, as North Beach Person mentioned. Is it actually on a farm? Are there other homes in close proximity? Is the house close to the street? Property size? Farm houses are often widely spaced, surrounded by lots of land, while your typical old house would be found in small towns, or older low density areas of bigger towns and cities. They are generally much closer together.

Here are a few examples of old houses that are not farm houses in the geographical area you specified.

Kansas City

Kansas City #2

Omaha

Here are a few examples of farm houses in the area you specified.

Ste Genevieve, MO

Council Bluffs, Iowa

Treynor, Iowa

Glenwood, Iowa - This example is particularly interesting as it is visually similar to the more urban houses i showed above, which shows that sometimes its more of the home's farm setting that differentiates it as a farm house, and there are often a lot of nuances involved.

These obviously arent necessarily the best examples, these are the simply the best ones i came across while exploring these areas on google maps. But they do give you a good foundational idea as to the spatial and material differences that key the two "types" of old homes you mentioned in the areas you mentioned.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:09 AM

22 posts, read 15,175 times
one thing would be the location and the design itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum