Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,871,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I saw a film about Frank Lloyd Wright a few years ago, in which he was credited with changing front porches to side porches.

As soon as I saw this, I realized that he alone was responsible for ruining much of what was good about American culture . . .as I understand it, when different minorities came to New York, they would sit on their front porches and stoops and engage with each other. The porch aesthetic was alive and well in the Midwest, too, until Frank Lloyd Wright turned houses sideways and put the front porch on the side . . .I believe that was the beginning of "suburbia isolation."
Don't be silly. FLW probably designed only about .00002% of the homes in this country so it would hardly be fair to blame him for the disappearance of the porch.

Instead, blame TV, the rear patio/deck and air-conditioning. They were all factors that made large numbers of people move back indoors during the summer.

BTW... I live in a teens era Prairie style house (the style invented by Wright) that also sports a huge front porch... so if Little god Frankie was trying to kill the front porch he seems to have failed within his own style... much less all homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,953,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Don't be silly. FLW probably designed only about .00002% of the homes in this country so it would hardly be fair to blame him for the disappearance of the porch.

Instead, blame TV, the rear patio/deck and air-conditioning. They were all factors that made large numbers of people move back indoors during the summer.

BTW... I live in a teens era Prairie style house (the style invented by Wright) that also sports a huge front porch... so if Little god Frankie was trying to kill the front porch he seems to have failed within his own style... much less all homes!
OMG. Do you understand influence?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,871,047 times
Quote:
OMG. Do you understand influence?
I don't understand why you think like you do, if that's what you mean.

Wouldn't be more rational to conclude front porches disappeared because the reason(s) people sat on them in the first place disappeared too?

But no, you blame some flamboyant architect for single-handedly robbing the 21st century of porches!

Good news for you though, the front porch isn't dead. If someone would just turn off the damn TV, people might even come out to sit on them again too!

Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,248,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
McMansion design depends on local. Wrap around porches here are extremely uncommon. Everything is built on slab. The architecture is often called "neo-eclectic" which is suiting as it's really a smorgasbord of stuff packed into cheap mass construction with no apparent rhyme or reason. Exhibit 1: Tuscan Villa, found predominantly in suburban American. Don't know what's Tuscan about a stucco-clad OSB suburban home or how it captures the spirit of the Renaissance...
4080 Kingsbarns Dr, Roseville, CA 95747 | MLS# 12031319

Not really McMansion, not gaudy enough, but man does that dormer window look stupid. I wonder if it's blind? Or maybe to an upstairs landing? If blind, I think that qualifies it as McMansion alone.
3150 Orchard Park Ct, Loomis, CA 95650 | MLS# 12040055

Okay, so it's got Prairie roof (a bit exaggerated and tasteless, would help if the roof was at least somewhat cohesive) and a half-assed attempt at Craftsman (although I don't know that drywall and veneer cabinets qualify)...
4506 Carmen Dr, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762 | MLS# 12032196
Those are truly awful!!!! The first one looks like a gigantic mausoleum.

In the North East though the Carolinas , Middle Atlantic and Mid West, they likely look like Victorians - or a hodge podge of Victorian, Post Modern and Colonial. Porches are common.

I took leave of my scenes in 2004 and I bought one of those monstrosities in NY.

Not far from the house that was posted in Huntington, although it was not nearly as ostentatious.

But it cost a fortune to heat and cool and the neighbors were far less than friendly. They were awful up-start social climbers.

All of the nine homes on the Cul de Sac had massive empty front porches.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:37 PM

578 posts, read 1,095,128 times
Quote:
His creations make me angry.
His work is brilliant. I believe television destroyed neighbors hanging out on their porches communing. You don't see kids playing outside much anymore either.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM

24,148 posts, read 32,639,629 times
I think that there is an interplay between architecture and social change. It's a synergistic relationship and nothing happens in a vacuum.

The last person who I'd blame for the "demise of the front porch", as the OP sees it, would be FLW who stove to build in an organic way that was a stark contrast with the formality of the Victorian style home.

There is something "elitist" about Victorian architecture, and democratic about FLW and the homes that he influenced.

One can't point to Frank Lloyd Wright, television or the automobile as a single reason that society changed, and that porches went out of favor for a time.
Before television, people gathered to listen to radio!

I grew up in the 1960s and 70s and we had television, automobiles and we all played outside. In fact, if this were the summer of 1967, I'd probably still be outside catching fire flies, playing hide and seek, splashing in the pool or telling ghost stories.

Around right now all of the eight through twelve year olds would be being called home. And I'd be among them.

We didn't watch TV in the summer. It was all re-runs, remember?

I now live in a Victorian house - a real one, that while sweet, is less than accommodating to 21st century needs. We are sort of urban pioneers and we live in a Recovering Rust Belt City. But we are looking for a large Craftsman or Four Square.

I can also assure you that children here do play outside. But few white, or middle to upper middle class ones do. That is the change you have noticed.

My children didn't play outside much either in our neighborhood, even when we lived in the 'burbs. Everyone did something in the summer that took them off the streets. Mine went to day camp. Then sleep away camp. And we took family vacations. Now they are counselors at a day camp one of the three that exist for middle class and above children. Even in my rust belt city.

Fear of abductions and a more transient society has changed all of that. Just because someone lives next door to you it doesn't mean that they have anything in common with you.

This was once a Slovak- Ukrainian neighborhood, and now it's a mix of college students,large Hispanic families, Hipster families, Urban Pioneers, College Professors, aging Eastern European folks, their extended families, and hospital personnel and first time home owners. Quite a mix. As you might expect, block parties are not big anymore.

EVERY house on my street has a front porch, but it seems the middle class people prefer their decks and gazebos.
In the back yard.

It's more of a class thing. A safety thing, than a racial thing. The home owners have gas grills and pools, and swing sets - albeit small ones because it is a city. They tend to be the hang out in the back. My Latino next door neighbors never sit on the porch. We occasionally do.

The renters hang on their front porches and play music, laugh talk and drink beer. Nothing wrong with it, but that's what they do.

This sounds a lot like the description of another poster, Kevx (sp) of a NY neighborhood that he fondly remembers.
They also by and large, do not have air conditioning.

Society changes and homes respond to it, and we respond to our homes. Occasionally, there is a "stop and chat" on our really diverse block usually involving the weather, a cute dog, my garden or a baby. But lemonade? No.

I am far more likely to enjoy my front porch in the Spring when things are cooler and more quiet, and my rear deck ni the Autumn when the leaves on the Endless Mountains turn to orange and gold.

Things have changed and I could never blame the turning of the porch on that.

Last edited by sheena12; 07-09-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,047,435 times
I asked my husband if people sat out on their front porches in Omaha when he was a kid (50s/60s). He said yes, until people got air conditioning. He went on to say that the kids did play outside. Now Omaha is like a steam bath in the summer, temps of 100 degrees with high humidity are not uncommon. So yeah, lots of things contributed to people not "sitting out" any more.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,248,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think that there is an interplay between architecture and social change. It's a synergistic relationship and nothing happens in a vacuum.

The last person who I'd blame for the "demise of the front porch", as the OP sees it, would be FLW who stove to build in an organic way that was a stark contrast with the formality of the Victorian style home.

There is something "elitist" about Victorian architecture, and democratic about FLW and the homes that he influenced.

One can't point to Frank Lloyd Wright, television or the automobile as a single reason that society changed, and that porches went out of favor for a time.
Before television, people gathered to listen to radio!

I grew up in the 1960s and 70s and we had television, automobiles and we all played outside. In fact, if this were the summer of 1967, I'd probably still be outside catching fire flies, playing hide and seek, splashing in the pool or telling ghost stories.

Around right now all of the eight through twelve year olds would be being called home. And I'd be among them.

We didn't watch TV in the summer. It was all re-runs, remember?

I now live in a Victorian house - a real one, that while sweet, is less than accommodating to 21st century needs. We are sort of urban pioneers and we live in a Recovering Rust Belt City. But we are looking for a large Craftsman or Four Square.

I can also assure you that children here do play outside. But few white, or middle to upper middle class ones do. That is the change you have noticed.

My children didn't play outside much either in our neighborhood, even when we lived in the 'burbs. Everyone did something in the summer that took them off the streets. Mine went to day camp. Then sleep away camp. And we took family vacations. Now they are counselors at a day camp one of the three that exist for middle class and above children. Even in my rust belt city.

Fear of abductions and a more transient society has changed all of that. Just because someone lives next door to you it doesn't mean that they have anything in common with you.

This was once a Slovak- Ukrainian neighborhood, and now it's a mix of college students,large Hispanic families, Hipster families, Urban Pioneers, College Professors, aging Eastern European folks, their extended families, and hospital personnel and first time home owners. Quite a mix. As you might expect, block parties are not big anymore.

EVERY house on my street has a front porch, but it seems the middle class people prefer their decks and gazebos.
In the back yard.

It's more of a class thing. A safety thing, than a racial thing. The home owners have gas grills and pools, and swing sets - albeit small ones because it is a city. They tend to be the hang out in the back. My Latino next door neighbors never sit on the porch. We occasionally do.

The renters hang on their front porches and play music, laugh talk and drink beer. Nothing wrong with it, but that's what they do.

This sounds a lot like the description of another poster, Kevx (sp) of a NY neighborhood that he fondly remembers.
They also by and large, do not have air conditioning.

Society changes and homes respond to it, and we respond to our homes. Occasionally, there is a "stop and chat" on our really diverse block usually involving the weather, a cute dog, my garden or a baby. But lemonade? No.

I am far more likely to enjoy my front porch in the Spring when things are cooler and more quiet, and my rear deck ni the Autumn when the leaves on the Endless Mountains turn to orange and gold.

Things have changed and I could never blame the turning of the porch on that.

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,841,733 times
I blame FLW for this economy, high gas prices, political corruption, and large number of foreign cars being sold in this country.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,804,961 times
Quote:
I blame FLW for this economy, high gas prices, political corruption, and large number of foreign cars being sold in this country.
tee-hee, giggle, snort

I've probably examined hundreds upon hundreds of 19th century house plans over the last 40+ years.
Not counting row houses, I've seen houses with front porches, houses with wraparound porches, houses with separate front and side porches, houses with just side porches, houses with no porches, just a little bit of a roof over the front door to keep the rain off your head while you're waiting.

I've heard that Frank used to design everything for someone about his own height, 5'8 1/2". He didn't like tall people.
I've read that FLW houses have one flaw. Apparently he wasn't very good when it came to roofs, they all leaked.

Last edited by 2cold; 07-20-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum